Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Poll: favorite rib rub

Options

Comments

• Tim (Watkinsville)
    Options
    I have made my own rubs, bought rubs from barbecue places, ordered rubs from websites, but I have to agree with ShadowNick above, Emeril's Rib Rub is really very outstanding. I use it more often than anything else. I will still make my own if I am after something a little hotter, but its hard to beat Emerils. Maybe I am a philistine for saying that??
    Watkinsville, Ga   XL, Medium
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    smokeyj said:
    Texas BBQ rub grand champion. Although the new stuff, called the right stuff is working its way to the top of my list.

try the " right stuff " on chicken. It's DA BOMB.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    I'm real good with Cluck & Squeal.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    Options
    Dipstix - Mary's Favorite
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    @terrebandit where did you get the "right stuff"? It's not on the texasbbqrub site.
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    @terrebandit where did you get the "right stuff"? It's not on the texasbbqrub site.

I got it as a sample when I ordered some rub. I emailed them and they said they were working on labeling and packaging because it's a brand new product. Apparently it still has not hit the shelves. It's good.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    Hotch said:

I am glad you guys liked them. You can look on his web site for a tamer chili recipe than the enhanced one I sent. You can do it on the stove top.

How was WDW? 

WDW was OK but to be honest, KennedySpace Center was the highlight of the trip when it comes to attractions. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    Dizzy Dust (no salt) + Swamp Venom.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    Options

A few weeks back they told me if I wanted to order it give a call or email. Not sure if that is still the case or not.
  • shadowcaster
    Options
    Swamp venom or grand champion....can't make up my mind
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
  • Eggpharmer
    Options
    Here are the top 5 mentioned items-

DP Swamp Venom - 7 (x4 individually, x3 in combo) http://dizzypigbbq.com/portfolio/swamp-venom/

Texas BBQ rub - Grand Champion - 5 (all individually) http://texasbbqrub.com/shopping.html

DP Dizzy Dust - 4 (x1 individually, x3 combo) http://dizzypigbbq.com/portfolio/dizzy-dust/

Homemade - 4 (Memphis Dust mentioned x2) http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_pastes_marinades_and_brines/meatheads_memphis_dust.html

Oakridge Secret Weapon - 3 (x2 individually, x1 combo) http://www.oakridgebbq.com/?product=secret-weapon
    Austin, TX
  • TurtleTiger
    Options
    Emeril's Rib Rub is surprisingly good and my go-to.

I like this one pretty well myself. 

• laserdoc85
    Options
    Secret weapon by oakridge 

Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    Options
    Swamp venom is nice. Bessingers rub, secret weapon and Don Marco's Pig Powder or Cherry Bomb.
    Where did you buy the Cherry Bomb?
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I like Jim's Own Sauce Smokey rub for ribs. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tgs2401
    tgs2401 Posts: 423
    Options
    I really like dry rub that Sticky Fingers sells online:
    sticky-fingers-dry-rub

http://www.stickyfingers.com/product/sticky-fingers-dry-bbq-rub/

One large BGE in Louisville, KY.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I like Jim's Own Sauce Smokey rub for ribs. 
    +1
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • northGAcock
    Options
    jamco said:
    I'm new to the BGE community and I haven't noticed anyone mention Strawberry's seasoning.  It's been my go to for just about everything for a long time.  Fantastic!  http://www.strawsbbq.com/
    Haven't tried their rub...but have enjoyed their sauce. 

• northGAcock
    Options
    For beef ribs.....I prefer a peppery rub like Montreal or even a coffee rub like 4 Rivers....heavy on the pepper.

For poke ribs....I use several depending on what I have and who is eating (wife does not like hot). I mostly make my own which generally has a sweeter profile of brown sugar and and less pepper. I of course use Dizzy Pig when going with a purchased product. 

It's all good folks.

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    I'm old school. Mostly just Kosher salt and pepper. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • kwdickert
    kwdickert Posts: 308
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Bad Byron's Butt Rub / Brown Sugar/ Kosher Salt. You CANNOT BEAT IT.

Bad Byron's is lower in salt than most rubs by about half and has no sugar so for butts AND ribs, we do the dry brine salt procedure from amazing ribs and then do close to a 1:1 ratio bad byron's butt rub and brown sugar. Its amazing. No sauce touches our ribs.

This way, you control your heat, saltiness, sweetness all on your own.
    Memphis TN - Large Green Egg
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    kwdickert said:

Bad Byron's is low in salt and has no sugar so for butts AND ribs, we do the dry brine salt procedure from amazing ribs and then do close to a 1:1 ratio bad byron's butt rub and brown sugar. Its amazing. No sauce touches our ribs.

I've always thought bad byrons was mouth dessicatingly salty?

Little Rock, AR

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    kwdickert said:

Bad Byron's is low in salt and has no sugar so for butts AND ribs, we do the dry brine salt procedure from amazing ribs and then do close to a 1:1 ratio bad byron's butt rub and brown sugar. Its amazing. No sauce touches our ribs.

That was my experience with Bad Byrons.  For me the saltiness was noticeable on butts, but made OK when sauced.  I tried it on ribs once and had to throw out two racks and get takeout because the ribs were so salty.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited May 2016
    Options
    For pork - Fat Boys "Rub", For Chicken - John Henry's Texas Chicken Tickler, For Steaks - kosher salt and Pepper, For other beef, briskets etc. - depending on the beef Meat Church Honey Hog Hot, Meat church Fajita, these are my favorites.

I do like all the Dizzy Pig rubs as well, Tsunami Spin and Swamp Venom is fantastic on Chicken wings and Cowlick 50/50 with Turbino (raw) sugar are great on Briskets.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Options
    Eat Barbecue's Zero to Hero Made by the folks on the pellet envy comp team
  • Bert2015
    Bert2015 Posts: 50
    Options
    I'm still working through a number of rubs to find my favorite go to. This is what's in cabinet right now. Strawberry and Laredo Red so far.  Need to try others and I continue to hear about Dizzys. I will say the best steak rub I have ever had is the black can, Szegeo steak rub!!!
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Bert2015 said:
    I'm still working through a number of rubs to find my favorite go to. This is what's in cabinet right now. Strawberry and Laredo Red so far.  Need to try others and I continue to hear about Dizzys. I will say the best steak rub I have ever had is the black can, Szegeo steak rub!!!
    May I ask where you are located?  I dont see mcclards rub many places outside Arkansas. 

Little Rock, AR

• kwdickert
    Options
    kwdickert said:

That's really strange. If you look at the sodium content on that versus most other rubs, it's really low. I'm from the south. I guess salty to us isn't the same as salty to others. I generally dont like super salty stuff and have no problem with this. To each their own I guess
  • kwdickert
    Options
    Acn said:
    kwdickert said:

That was my experience with Bad Byrons.  For me the saltiness was noticeable on butts, but made OK when sauced.  I tried it on ribs once and had to throw out two racks and get takeout because the ribs were so salty.
    Man, we have never experienced this. You could even skip the dry brine with kosher salt and just use bad byrons and it would be so far from salty. I wonder if there was ever a change in the recipe to a lower sodium content.