Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Minimax or Small? Decisions decisions

Options
Powak
Powak Posts: 1,391
I'm looking to get a little buddy to go along with my large Egg. Basically an egg to go camping or cook at different temps than my large. I've got the funds and it's down to the Minimax or the Small. I have two concerns/questions with these two:
1)On older conversations eggheads talk about the small having a smaller fire box grate and the minimax having one the same size as the large. Does this make a big difference in performance?

2)The small appears to have a deeper base. My buddy gets pretty long low and slows out of his. But how does the minimax do with long cooks?

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Small. Functions like the bigger siblings
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • matoch
    matoch Posts: 135
    Options
    I've never used a small but I've done 8 hours and had quite a bit of lump left over on the minimax. The only catch is I did have to open it once and mix it around. That might just ben lack of experience though. 
    Edmonton, Alberta - XL & Minimax
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited May 2016
    Options
    edited response.....I tried a search for a recent thread but could not find it. There were some great pictures of cooks and discussion around the MM and Mini. Sorry....for this post.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I would go with a Joe Jr :fearful:

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    Both
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Pridnjoy
    Pridnjoy Posts: 130
    Options
    I agree. $100 less than MM at Costco Roadshow and comes with more accessories. 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Yea, just think of the Mini Max as a chopped down Small. The base is shorter. They both use the same dome.
    The small will hold more lump, give you more room to work with a WOO or extended/raised cooking grate.
    I have only cooked on a Mini Max twice but have had 2 Small BGEs for many years. My opinion the Small is better suited over the Mini Max for low and slow cooks when needed. I'm not saying they can't be done on the MM, just easier on the Small because of the extra room. For traveling, some find the shorter MM fits better and it's a little lighter in weight.
    The MM does use a larger lump grate and has a larger area for ash to drop.
    This gives better airflow and seems to make it easier to hit high temps.
    Honestly, it's a toss up depending on your needs.
    I don't think I would give up my Small for a MM if I had to choose between them.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • chuckytheegghead
    chuckytheegghead Posts: 1,201
    Options
    I personally like the MM
  • Jwork328
    Jwork328 Posts: 66
    Options
    I have a mini max and a large and my mini max is my work horse I just done a 6 hour cook yesterday with no problems out of the lump
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited May 2016
    Options
    As the production and availability of the MM are now up to speed the prices and sales are getting better. 6 months ago you were hard pressed to do better than full retail. Now the prices are getting better. Still think the best option trying to pick MM or Small is the price you can find on each if you have no real factor pushing you towards one over the other right now.
    Also helps to put your location in your post as their might be another Egger in your area with good local price information. You can add this to your signature line.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    I have a Large and Small combo.  I use both all of the time.  The Small is a great compliment to the  Large.  We also camp a lot, and do not have the space for a small in our cars.  I would love to have an Egg camping, and the MM would probably be it.  However, if it is just for the house, I would stay with the small because of the fuel capacity...
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    How many do you generally cook for?   Not that it matters between the small and the mm but... I have a small and a mini to go with the large.  Out of the 3 the mini gets used more than the others combined. If we travel I throw the mini in a color and down the road I go.  I cook for 2 mostly but have fed 6 off the mini.  

Now to your original question - I like my small and it traveled with me for 2yrs before I picked up the mini. No problem picking up the small while in the nest and putting in the back of the truck.  I think you should way out how and how much you'll use it at home and base your decision from that.  I've never done a lengthy low n slow on the small but 7hrs for a chuckie is no problem with lump left over. Airflow is no big deal with the HighQue grate.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Oh boy, not again. :s
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Powak
    Options
    Does the small take that much longer to crank up to high temps? When not camping I'm planning on using the smaller egg for the searing portion of reverse sear or forward sear. However I also like the idea of being able fit a WOO in. Can you do multilevel cooking on either of these?
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Not sure on the mm but I've seen a few multi level on the small.  Your sear idea is exactly how I do my steaks.  Usually if a nice thick steak I sear first on the mini and roast on the small.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Small. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Powak said:
    Does the small take that much longer to crank up to high temps? When not camping I'm planning on using the smaller egg for the searing portion of reverse sear or forward sear. However I also like the idea of being able fit a WOO in. Can you do multilevel cooking on either of these?
    Yes to all your questions. There are many ways to setup multi-level in the small, just have to watch the dome thermometer from stabbing the food. It's a great wok burner as well. Here's my daughter putting ribs on the Small setup multi-level, note how the top rack is towards the back to avoid the thermo.

Another option is to pull the thermo out a bit and use something for a spacer so it doesn't fall back in to the food.

Here is the second tier rack I have:
    http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/product_p/tlpgxs.htm

It can be a bit of pain, but it works OK. The legs want to collapse if you bump it.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    Options
    I have a large/small combo
    and when I got the small the money I saved vs the MM I used to get a Woo and a kick ash basket and a Smokeware. I have to try hard hitting low and slow temps as it has no problem giving searing temps.   With the loft lighter or mapp torch it comes to temp fast. I haven't taken the small on the road but it seems light enough for me to move solo

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• Powak
    Options
    BigWader said:
    I have a large/small combo
    and when I got the small the money I saved vs the MM I used to get a Woo and a kick ash basket and a Smokeware. I have to try hard hitting low and slow temps as it has no problem giving searing temps.   With the loft lighter or mapp torch it comes to temp fast. I haven't taken the small on the road but it seems light enough for me to move solo
    How does the kickash basket work?

The fact that the small stands by itself at a good height and won't need a table is a big selling point for me.
  • Reltserw
    Reltserw Posts: 45
    Options
    Pridnjoy said:
    I would at least check out the Jr. - well built cookers and you'll save some coin for some cool accessories. 
  • Powak
    Options
    Reltserw said:
    Pridnjoy said:
    I would at least check out the Jr. - well built cookers and you'll save some coin for some cool accessories. 
    Where's the jr made? they're about $500 right?
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    Options
    @powak The kick ash basket is a new fire grate and charcoal basket all in one. The advantage in a small is it is easy to remove to clean ash and lets more airflow than stock cast iron fire grate.  Makes higher temps in a small a piece of cake.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• Powak
    Options
    One thing I've been curious about with the smaller eggs like the MM and small is if they're more efficient as smokers. My large is great at smoking no doubt, but definitely requires more smoke wood than my ole 14" weber WSM. Those smaller eggs are kinda similar in shape.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I looked at both the small and the MM before ultimately choosing the MM.
    I bought an XL, prior, and wanted to be able to be mobile with a BGE for both tailgating and camping.
    I originally wanted the small, but, I am extremely happy that I got the MM instead. We have taken it with us on trips, and it has become a serious workhorse for when it is just My Beautiful Wife and I, without the children.
    I have done several lonslos, longest being a recent 9 hr cook.
    I love the versatility of my MM, it is a bit heavy to tote around, although manageable, and cool down is not much of an issue with a KAB.
    Cool tool for me for sure. Either will do you a wonderful job, good luck with your decision.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    All a mini max needs is a cork for the thermometer and a kick ash basket to get up to temp. Well...removing the bottom grate and using a torch to fire it up helps too. YMMV.   
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Powak said:
    Reltserw said:
    Pridnjoy said:
    Where's the jr made? they're about $500 right?
    $399 at Costco 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Powak
    Options
    Does the MM fit in a nest? Is there nest made for the MM to bring it up to normal grill level?
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Powak said:
    Does the MM fit in a nest? Is there nest made for the MM to bring it up to normal grill level?
    The Minimax will fit perfectly into the medium nest. Due to it's smaller statue,  it does not raise it to an ideal level......but works. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow