Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork shoulder turned out great after reading different posts on here

Options
david71171
david71171 Posts: 7

I read a lot of different posts on here and incorporated that information to make my second attempt turn out a lot better. I had a shoulder that was 8.25lbs. I applied the Memphis rub recipe that I found on here and allowed to sit in fridge for 12 hours. I soaked the apple chips for 5 hours. I got the egg up to 250 and waited for the smoke to change from the all white color to the almost clear blue smoke. Put the pork on the rack and after adjusting the airflow a few times was able to get consistent 235 rack temp for 45 minutes. Then went back to bed. The temp was at 238 on the rack when I woke up 7 hours later. When the pork temp hit 170, I double wrapped in foil and put back on the rack. It hit 198 degrees after a total cook time of 14 hours. ( I did bump up the temp to 325 the final hour). After letting the meat rest for 30 minutes, it fell apart on the plate. Had a great smokey flavor and was very juicy. Did not really need BBQ sauce.

Thank you to the prior contributors on here.

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,466
    Options
    Welcome aboard and continue to enjoy the journey.  Great cook right there.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • HarrisFrampton
    Options
    Great job.
    Wimberley,TX
    X-Large,Large, Medium and Small
    17" and 28" Blackstones
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Nice work!

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Looks super. Memphis Dust is my go to for pork. Need to make a new batch used the last for the butts that are on now
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Nice work!  Thanks for sharing your results.

I agree on the BBQ sauce comment.  So good by itself, I just like a little vinegar hot sauce to taste.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Great job!  Thanks for sharing!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,542
    Options
    Great looking butt... Always nice when a plan comes together !!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Way to go brother!  The beauty of the forum in plain view.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    edited May 2016
    Options
    make me want to start up my egg. looks great
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• XLentEGG
    XLentEGG Posts: 436
    Options
    I did a 8.25 last weekend as well . For the first time I went completely on faith in the BGE. Put it on and did not open the lid at all for the whole sixteen hours. Super moist , great bark , pulled the bone out and used it to literally stir the meat into pulled pork. Not mushy pork , but perfect pulled texture. Will never foil a butt again . :-)
    More meat please !! :-)
  • SeahawksEGGHead
    Options
    I have a 8.5 pounder in the fridge, rubbed up with Memphis Dust, ready to go on my Egg tonight.  I'm also planning for a 15-16 hour-ish smoke at 250.  Yours looks great.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    That is beautiful. Great cook, looks delicious!

I am getting pressure from the neighbors for the peach butt again. I love cooking that on the egg. Nothing like it.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • rmontferg
    rmontferg Posts: 1
    Options
    First time question - for first time smoke. I have a 4 lbs pork shoulder. Seeing you all had 8.25 and smoked for 16 hours, where can I find a scale for poundage vs. cooking time?
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    XLentEGG said:
    I did a 8.25 last weekend as well . For the first time I went completely on faith in the BGE. Put it on and did not open the lid at all for the whole sixteen hours. Super moist , great bark , pulled the bone out and used it to literally stir the meat into pulled pork. Not mushy pork , but perfect pulled texture. Will never foil a butt again . :-)
    I like my butts un-foiled as well! Takes longer but I think I get a better finished product! 14-16 hrs seems to be where they usually finish
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • cheeaa
    cheeaa Posts: 364
    Options
    No problem with the low n slow just throwing this out there that I just did a butt in 8 hours this weekend at 275ish. And u can go higher to if u want to cook even faster. I like the middle ground though.  :) Great looking pork btw.
  • cheeaa
    cheeaa Posts: 364
    Options
    rmontferg said:
    First time question - for first time smoke. I have a 4 lbs pork shoulder. Seeing you all had 8.25 and smoked for 16 hours, where can I find a scale for poundage vs. cooking time?
    Depends what temp u cook at. If u do 250 or lower probably around 6 hours. If u do 275 probably 4 or so. Just cook til a temp.probe goes in with little resistance.