Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Which size of RTIC cooler to get?

Options
Need help from you fella egg heads to decide which size cooler of RTIC to get. Never had one of these before. We are a family of four. Always on the road on the weekends for kids games, so lots of coolers with gatorade, lunches, water, ice, etc. I was thinking of getting the 45, as I thought the 65 looked huge on the website with the picture of the guy holding it. But, the price really isn't a factor to me as the 65 is less than $20 more. My wife went to Academy and looked at the 75 Yeti, and thinks that was the size she wants, so she is leaning towards the 65 RTIC (this is for her more than me.)

My question I guess is for the people that bought the 45, did you wish you had got the bigger one? Or, for the people that got the 65, was it too big? I have read that it gets pretty heavy when you fill it with beer and ice? I warned my wife it will be very heavy for her to handle when I am not around. Any advice would be great. Thanks!!

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I got the 45 and love it.  Based on your needs I'd get the 65 by the sounds of it.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • GaBGE
    GaBGE Posts: 556
    Options
    Go with the bigger. You won't regret it.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,654
    Options
    I have a Yeti 20 in the back of one truck and a Yeti 45 in the back of the other. To me the 65 would be way to big. The 45 is almost to heavy to move by yourself when loaded.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    the 65 would not fit under the cover on my truck so i got the 45, it fits 3 days worth of food for me but for a family the 65 may be more practical. loaded its a 2 person lift and carry though, you would not even want to carry a loaded 45 too far by yourself
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    I have the Yeti 65 and fully loaded its HEAVY.  We take it to overnight games and it works great for food and adult beverages but getting it into the SUV fully loaded takes two.

that said- its also very easy to pack the whole weekend for kid and two adults, or for day trips an adult and 3 teen girls to easily eat out of and keep everything cold in the Hot Humid Texas environments.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,180
    Options
    The 50 is far more versatile than the 45. You can stand up wine and liquor bottles in it. 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I have the 65 and it's a beast for sure.  Perfect for our softball/baseball teams on tournament weekends.  I don't think it's too big.   

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    You pretty much have all the answers above. 
    I'm going to push again to add your location to your signature line.
    If you were close enough to me i would meet you and show you both the 65 and the 45.
    If you always have help loading the cooler then i would go 65. As others have said, a loaded 65qt cooler is HEAVY...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
     As others have said, a loaded 65qt cooler is HEAVY...
    Easily could be over 100 pounds when loaded. The cooler itself is over 35 pounds.  

I have the 45 and it seems it would be a little short of space for @EasyE 's described use.  Sounds like his family needs the larger size.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Jellyworm
    Jellyworm Posts: 96
    Options
    Totally agree with the 65 for your needs.  I have both and use the 45 most of the time for 2 of us but always use the 65 for trips away.
    Large BGE
    Houston, TX
  • smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    Options
    I have a 110 and am going for the 65 next.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Biggest you can afford. If it's a house, an egg, a cooler or a brisket. Then again, I didn't read your post. Just the title. Sorry afternoon beers
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Just my $.02, but for what you are describing you don't need this type of cooler.  Just get a decent cooler like an igloo maxcold or coleman extreme.  A comparable size cooler will be larger and have more room.  Plus you can get one with wheels.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• CoMoBGE
    CoMoBGE Posts: 374
    Options
    We go with a 45 and a soft side cooler. You can carry the soft side around and the 45 can stay pretty much in one place. Fully loaded the 45 is all I want to handle by myself(the wife doesn't even like dealing with it empty). I think the rotomold coolers are worth the extra weight/cost at softball/soccer tournaments. The cooler sits in the sun/car for 3 days. With my old coolers I had to get ice multiple times a day.   
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    Just my $.02, but for what you are describing you don't need this type of cooler.  Just get a decent cooler like an igloo maxcold or coleman extreme.  A comparable size cooler will be larger and have more room.  Plus you can get one with wheels.  
    For sporting event full weekends I like the Yeti better vs

Now that is a good cooler (not mine but I have the exact one) for a 4-5 hour run.  But if I try and use this all weekend- pack Friday, fields Sat, fields 1/2 to full day sunday I will be re-icing every night and draining water.  No big deal except tournament hotels are notoriously short on ice with everybody else doing the same thing.  So then the Yeti wins.

This weekend the games are local and Sat is far enough apart to come home between but Sundays will be stay at field and the Yeti will get used since I will be there 6 hours.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    I have the RTIC 65 with a family of four, we are tent campers and it has worked out great for us!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    IDK. I got a Coleman Extreme and have to throw in ice every now and again. But the internal sizes are as advertised and there's no arguements on here about it. Lol.....
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    I have the RTIC65 and took it with us to my daughters soccer tournament out of town in Nashville.  Loaded it up Friday morning and left it in the trunk all weekend while at the fields.  Still had ice in it when we got home Sunday and had plenty of room for everything we needed. 
    Bonus is that it fit in the trunk of my Accord which surprised me.  We tailgated between games and I pulled the cooler out of the car and used it as a seat.  No complaints from me, other than when full of drinks and ice it is fairly heavy.  It was no problem for the wife and I to move though.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Coolers are akin to smokers and guns, the bigger the better. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• maximus1
    maximus1 Posts: 38
    Options
    I have all 3 sizes, use the 20 for everyday stuff around the house, and the 45/65 for camping etc.  You can always make em smaller, its hard to make them bigger

2 Large BGE, 1 Small.  
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    As previously stated, given your needs, assuming you have assistance, 65.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • EazyE
    EazyE Posts: 67
    Options
    Thanks guys! I appreciate all of the feedback. I am going to order the 65. I'll report back how it turns out. 
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    Holding out until a model with wheels shows up.
  • MattBTI
    MattBTI Posts: 417
    Options
    Not sure if you had ordered a 65 yet or not.  Might be worth looking into a Pelican cooler. They've got a great reputation and customer service. I've got a 65 and 25 from them. no questions asked parts replacement policy. 
    Pratt, KS
  • mcsean
    mcsean Posts: 1
    Options
    YEMTrey said:
    I have the RTIC65 and took it with us to my daughters soccer tournament out of town in Nashville.  Loaded it up Friday morning and left it in the trunk all weekend while at the fields.  Still had ice in it when we got home Sunday and had plenty of room for everything we needed. 
    Bonus is that it fit in the trunk of my Accord which surprised me.  We tailgated between games and I pulled the cooler out of the car and used it as a seat.  No complaints from me, other than when full of drinks and ice it is fairly heavy.  It was no problem for the wife and I to move though.
    YEMTrey and smbishop, I am looking at purchasing the RTIC65 and am curious as to the interior dimensions and opinions of fit and finish quality?  Unfortunately, I haven't been overly impressed with the customer service while trying get this info.  Do you have a good opinion of the cooler?  I to have an Accord that this will potentially need to be hauled around in (2016 Sport) when not in the 4Runner...Regards Sean