Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flame Boss 200

Options
2»

Comments

• nutshellml
    nutshellml Posts: 166
    Options
    I was chatting w/ a lot of people and ended up going w/ the CyberQ mainly because of the extra food probes and direct setup for wifi.  Only used it once but it's great so far.
    Northern Jersey
    XL BGE  |  XL Adjustable Rig Combo  |  CyberQ  |  Maverick 733
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    caliking said:
    Not looking for a better experience necessarily, but I do want to use the FB200 with other cookers, so that's why I started playing around with the Guru fans. Who knows... I may end up building a better mouse trap in the process. 

I called FB and was told that the unit learns and adapts during each cook, but only for the duration of that cook. It will start learning and adapting anew when you start a cook again. Based on what I was told,  it will run a 25cfm fan a certain way, and a 6.5 cfm fan a different way (no, the 25cfm fan is not for the egg). So if you hook up a big fan with the damper partially closed, the FB unit will account for that vs. a different cook using a smaller fan with no damper. 

I wouldn't necessarily go buy a Guru fan to control the egg, but it may be handy for those who have Guru adapters, etc for other cookers, and want to use their FB200 with those. 
    Again, thanks guys.
    Good info cali
    Sent FB an email already.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    edited May 2016
    Options
    The Guru does have a well made adapter plate and motor housing ... machined aluminum and an o-ring connection ... probably costly to manufacture.

When my FB200 was unwrapped, the adapter and motor housing simply didn't look as good.  That bothered me at the time.  After a year of use, it no longer causes me a second glance. The FB easily fulfills the task it was designed to accomplish.  I'd rather have the service support that FB provides than a fancy adapter plate and motor housing.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Focker said:

Thanks for responding.
    Is 3.5 cfm that much of a difference?

Some HVAC Al foil tape could tighten the fit on the adapter if necessary.  
    Same tape that is used to cover holes on the vents of the WSMs for the Pit Viper, and the Cajun Bandit rotisserie ring.   

So you run the FB with the DW 100% closed?

Please be patient with my overthinking. lol
    3.5 CFM more than the 6.5 CFM standard fan is 58% more power than its used to.  You could damper it the Pit Viper down 50%, then it maybe would be about the same?

Again, not that it can't be done or it's going to royally screw things up, the stock fan works great as it is.  Ever since TNW posted that review there has been this perception that the Pit Viper fan is this big UPGRADE to the FB because it has a damper (and it is shiny).  I just don't want people to see people wasting $100+ on a fan that think is going to somehow revolutionize the process.  If you already own one, then tinker away, your not going to mess anything up.

There's nothing special about the Pit Viper--take the cover off and you'll see it's just a little plastic fan similar to the FB, Pitmaster fan, etc  If it was that much better, it would not be hard for FB to include a 10 CFM fan and have a damper.  In fact, the original FlameBoss had different fan design with a door in it to prevent backflow.  This is the second generation--that door was removed since it confused the unit.

You can foil tape it as well, but if the daisy wheel is closed, there's not going to be any air getting drawn in--it's being pushed into the egg with the fan and leaking out of the daisy wheel, gasket, etc only under pressure.  Imagine stuffing something porous in the tailpipe of a car......open the throttle all you want, the RPM's will only reach a certain point because the exhaust is restricted.

FB does recommend closing the DW all the way, but you can go old school and set your egg on run on its own, then the fan will kick on if needed.  With the DW closed, you're snuffing the fire, stoking it, snuffing it, stoking, and so on dozens of times a minute for the duration of the cook.  Both methods work well for me on all temp controls (Flameboss, Pitmaster, Guru, Stoker, etc.....used & sold all of them for almost 10 yrs.)
  • Focker
    Options
    Thanks Jonathan.  Will be in touch to order soon.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    A point in favor of the Guru fans  is that they have adapters to fit their fans to all kinds of cookers - WSM's, BGE's, ball valves on custom smokers, etc. I think FB is coming out with a "universal" adapter or something like that, so that it can be used with non-kamado cookers. It will be pretty sweet to be able to use the FB200 with different cookers. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    Regarding the fan output capacity and leakage from the FB 200, neither seems to be an issue:

I can hold 170* with the DW closed.  I haven't tried to hold lower, but It would seem fan leakage isn't too much of an issue.  This is on my XL so I can't say if my medium would hold 170* or not. 

The 6.5 CFM is enough to blow dust up in the Egg when it goes to 100%.  Even when I ask it to jump the temp 20*, the fan is rarely, if ever, commanded to go to over 70%.  I leave the DW open a bit for a typical L&S so the fan is running fairly regularly, but at a low percent.  I suppose if the DW were completely shut and the desired temp were bumped to 300* from 280* that maybe it might command 100%. 

Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Focker
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Speedy response from the folks at FB for confirmation.

Brandon
    Quad Cities