Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Should I have a steak at 28 days or let it ride to 45?

Options
I have a beef loin dry aging in the fridge right now, today is day 21. Should I cut it and have a steak at 28 days? Or should I wait until 45 days? This is my first time dry aging, so I'm not sure what to expect at 28 days, or what the difference is between 28 and 45 days. My overall plan is to have a roast and steaks ready when I return from an 8 day canoe trip, so one steak removed would be fine, but am I better off letting it ride? I'd hate to ruin it by cutting it when I shouldn't have.

Comments

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Both

lop one off now

not much at 28days, but will orovide a comparison

and for the luvva jeezus, dont trim the thing
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,922
    Options
    No offense, but anything less than 35 days is not worth the bother and 45 days is my standard. 60 days is fine with a thick rib eye due to it's roundness, but you said loin which is thinner.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,794
    Options
    RRP said:
    No offense, but anything less than 35 days is not worth the bother 
    Amen brother. I'm forced to concur. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Cashfan
    Cashfan Posts: 416
    Options
    RRP said:
     60 days is fine with a thick rib eye due to it's roundness, but you said loin which is thinner.
    Thanks for the feedback, I will wait out the 45 days. 

@RRP, I am not sure I used the right terminology in above post. I am still sorting out the different cuts of meat and all the different names for them. What I have is a large piece of meat that has ribs in it. Standing rib roast and bone in rib eyes. Is it called a primal? Its 16-18" long and weighed 20lbs three weeks ago. 

at 14 days:

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    If this is your firt time, i would still recommend sampling before 45 days and then again at 45

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• loveTheEgg
    loveTheEgg Posts: 573
    Options

and for the luvva jeezus, dont trim the thing
    @Darby_Crenshaw ....Looking to do this myself. Are you saying that at 45 days, no matter what it looks like....DO NOT TRIM? Take it out cut steaks off, cook and eat? 
    Brandon, MS
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Aged beef wasn't trimmed. But thise new to it get skeeved out, and tend to lop off all the rind because it is brown and hard and doesn't look like it would be appetizing

when this craze started to take on momentum about ten years ago, there was one flawed method on about.com using sjowing a process. It used towels, for one thing. 

The shops who sold aged beef were all at 28 days, max. None of them trimmed

Julia Child's butcher would scrape off the mold (of any) and loose tags or but. But that's it. 

28 days was good, and cooked better, than dresh steaks, but I honestly didn't notice a difference 

There was one shop near me and fishless that sold the beef at 45 days though. I was buying a lot of it, and it was getting spendy. I talked to the dude behind the counter, researched a little industry history, and started aging it myself. There was nothing on the net with any good info except the write ups we were all doing on the old forum. 

I never found any butcher then or previous who would trim. But that butcher (now since closed at the location near me) asked once "you want it trimmed?"  I asked "since when"

He said "honestly, we sell tons of it, but it's to the yuppie wives. And they ask me to trim it because it looks gross"

This is all over the web now too. Pics of dudes aging at home and then trimming.

i'm a big boy and understand people like stuff the way they do. 

I just propose that they ought to try it the way it was done first, and see the difference

there's a point when mommy stops cutting the crust off bread for us and we finally realize the crust can be the best part of the bread. Or that wine doesn't need to be cold. Or cheese is better when it's moldy (if that's the intent).  Same for this stuff

if you trim it all away, you lose the most condensed beefy part. You get 'aged' beef all across the steak. It all ages. But it doesn't all dry. Part of what we are after is the condense beefiness 

the surface softens and fries, there is no water (or not very much) in the fat. And that crust is hard won. The meat can be tougher in the rind, sure. But the flavor is the real goal

no worries if you try it and decide later to trim heavily in subsequent attempts. I just don't understand why the trend is near universal to rim. As though there is no virtue at all to the exterior. The exterior was always the intent. Or most of it. 

If a person doean't like it drier wet aging will give you the same aging without weight loss (water). Tenderness and aged flavor will be the result but just no condensed beef flavor. 

• Cashfan
    Cashfan Posts: 416
    Options
    @Darby_Crenshaw, Thanks for the write up explaining trimming. It is because of you and others on this forum that has gotten me interested in dry aging. I am looking forward to trying it out. Maybe next week, but in a few more weeks for sure.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Absolutely concur with 45 day.  Darby's suggestion to sample 28 to compare is logical unless you just want to believe us all...  Good luck brother!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Agree with @Darby_Crenshaw on this topic. And if you have to trim eat the trim :fearful:  It'll melt in your mouth. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL