Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flame Boss 200

I was hesitant to purchase a FB, but now that I got to use it I wish I would've bought one sooner. That thing is freaking awesome. Monitor from anywhere, good data for future cooks and great notifications. I was also impressed with the probes, fan and control unit; all seem to be of very good quality.

Cooked a 6 lb pork butt at 250. Stalled 5 hours in and it ended up taking 10 hours, the FB made it easy though.  Also gives me more confidence to do overnighters.

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,943
    The FB200 is a fantastic unit!  Well worth the price, especially for a nice restfull sleep.

I love mine.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    I started with a DigiGuru....what a waste of time.  Bought a FB. Great controller. And FlameBoss has outstanding customer service...
  • dh7
    dh7 Posts: 42
    Question...I was looking at the FB 100.  I don't see myself needing wfi....want to simplify since I'm not computer savey and save $$ with the 100.  Appreciate your thoughts in the differences in the two.
    Large Green Egg
    Alfresco Gas Grill
    Land O Lakes, Fl
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    I too, am tired of the guru BS.  Tore mine down last cook and went manual.  Fan kept turning on, blowing past target temp....FUBAR.

Oz, or anyone else with a FB,
    Does it hold up in the rain, and cold winters?
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    dh7 said:
    Question...I was looking at the FB 100.  I don't see myself needing wfi....want to simplify since I'm not computer savey and save $$ with the 100.  Appreciate your thoughts in the differences in the two.
    You say you won't use the wifi now... but you will.  Another key feature on the wifi model is that FB can update their firmware on your device, so you basically continue to get the latest and greatest monitor/controller.  

Trust me, you don't need to be computer savvy to use this thing.  It's super easy to set-up, and I always control it via my phone as I find that a lot easier than using the device itself.    

The peace of mind it'll give you when it's freezing/raining outside and you can just sit on the couch check your phone (instead of going outside) is worth it alone.   You won't regret it!
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • Focker
    edited May 2016
    GoooDawgs said:
    dh7 said:
    You say you won't use the wifi now... but you will.  Another key feature on the wifi model is that FB can update their firmware on your device, so you basically continue to get the latest and greatest monitor/controller.  

Trust me, you don't need to be computer savvy to use this thing.  It's super easy to set-up, and I always control it via my phone as I find that a lot easier than using the device itself.    

The peace of mind it'll give you when it's freezing/raining outside and you can just sit on the couch check your phone (instead of going outside) is worth it alone.   You won't regret it!
    Thanks, you just pushed my cheap azz into the 200 camp.  Could care less about the graphs though.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    The FB200 is  a great controller, and very easy to setup. Most folks will be up and running with it in 20mins or less. Customer service is spectacular. 

Don't know how it will do in the snow, since we don't get any here in the swamp. I built a box for it, to keep it dry in case of any rain. I also found that the LCD screen doesn't like sitting in direct sunlight/heat for a long time, so I usually tuck it under the table for long cooks. 

The FB200 lets me go to work, get groceries, run errands etc. while having control of my cook. It can also be used as a non-wifi/networked controller (like the FB100) so I would highly consider spending the extra $$ to get the FB 200. @stlcharcoal usually lets folks play around with one, and will  give you a good price.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    Focker said:
    I too, am tired of the guru BS.  Tore mine down last cook and went manual.  Fan kept turning on, blowing past target temp....FUBAR.

Oz, or anyone else with a FB,
    Does it hold up in the rain, and cold winters?
    I had the over shot issue with the FB200.  But, the fan never turned on pass initial startup.  My issue turned out to be TOO MUCH airflow with the Kick Ash Basket.  My issue went away after adding my original BGE charcoal grate under the Ash Basket.

Don't tell the fire marshal, but, I egg a foot away from my covered porch.  The main FB200 unit is under the porch while the fan & wires are exposed to rain & wind.  No snow in GA so don't know about "frozen tundra" scenario.

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    @Focker ... I built a plastic enclosure for my Guru and have carried it over to the FB200.  Figured that it wasn't worth it to risk a several hundred dollar unit to save eight bucks on an enclosure.  I used mine all last winter with no problems.  Like @caliking, I cover it during the summer months to keep the sun off the unit.

The great thing about the wifi is that you no longer have to use a Maverick-like unit next to your bed to warn of temp deviations.  Simply pick a loud and long ringtone for the Flameboss text number and you're good to go.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Focker
    Appreciate all the feedback.  
    I think it's a done deal.
    The bleeding here never stops. Lol
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,943
    FB200 worked fine for me all winter.  Never any issues.  Much nicer to stay toasty warm inside and monitor/adjust my cooks.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Deek1997
    Deek1997 Posts: 46
    caliking said:
    The FB200 is  a great controller, and very easy to setup. Most folks will be up and running with it in 20mins or less. Customer service is spectacular. 

Don't know how it will do in the snow, since we don't get any here in the swamp. I built a box for it, to keep it dry in case of any rain. I also found that the LCD screen doesn't like sitting in direct sunlight/heat for a long time, so I usually tuck it under the table for long cooks. 

The FB200 lets me go to work, get groceries, run errands etc. while having control of my cook. It can also be used as a non-wifi/networked controller (like the FB100) so I would highly consider spending the extra $$ to get the FB 200. @stlcharcoal usually lets folks play around with one, and will  give you a good price.

I bought mine from @stlcharcoal. Great to work with and I got a good price. 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    The only time I ever had any temp controller overshoot is on startup (if you have it attached before reaching temp.)

The cold ceramic and cold meat will suck up the heat like crazy, so the fan is stoking the fire at full speed.  It gets the fire in the firebox pretty big and spread out.  Once the set temp is approached, the fan starts dialing back; however, the fire is spread out enough that it doesn't need the fan to keep going.  You'll blow past the set point by 50-100 easy if you're not careful.

Two fixes.....Set up the egg and don't put the controller on until the set point is hit.  Or set the controller at 170-180, let it stabilize for 20 minutes, bump it up 20 degrees, let it stabilize, and repeat until the set temp is hit.  There's no rush to get to you set temp fast, so no rush bumping it up.

Finally, remember the BGE is a 3000 y/o design running on an all natural fuel--it doesn't matter how much computer controlled stuff you hook to it, it will always have a margin of error and a degree of unpredictability to it.  Nothing you do will ever make it as accurate as a commercial convection baking over or autoclave.
  • dh7
    dh7 Posts: 42
    Thank you do much for all the information!  I am new to the egg but I already love my egg and this forum - such wealth of information.  I live in Florida so we don't have the snow and real cold weather; the egg is under cover but auto updates to the unit and the alarm etc are things I never knew/considered.... And I have the Kickash so good to know the resolution. Thank you! Goodbye FB100 and hello FB200
    Large Green Egg
    Alfresco Gas Grill
    Land O Lakes, Fl
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    I too am considering a Flame Boss 200. Egg dealer by me wants like 350.00 for one. Does that seem a little high? I only have a Mini-Max [so far =)] but like the idea of a device for ribs, butts etc. 
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    @yljkt ... $350 is MSRP ... look around, call around, and then give @stlcharcoal a call. 

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    edited May 2016

Two fixes.....Set up the egg and don't put the controller on until the set point is hit.  Or set the controller at 170-180, let it stabilize for 20 minutes, bump it up 20 degrees, let it stabilize, and repeat until the set temp is hit.  There's no rush to get to you set temp fast, so no rush bumping it up.

This works great.  And with the wifi, you can do it while sitting around in warm chair watching the football game or out running errands. 

I'll give it just 5 - 10 minutes to stabilize at each 15* - 20* increment until I'm within 20* of where I want it.  Then I go up in 10* increments.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    I bought mine from STLCharcoal,painless transaction. I also bought the battery pack from Flame Boss(more to spend Focker ). Have had it over shoot once , had the top vent too far open and natural draft through the fan made it overshoot. I now all but close the vent and it controls pretty close to setting.
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • Focker
    I bought mine from STLCharcoal,painless transaction. I also bought the battery pack from Flame Boss(more to spend Focker ). Have had it over shoot once , had the top vent too far open and natural draft through the fan made it overshoot. I now all but close the vent and it controls pretty close to setting.

Like I said, it never stops.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    edited May 2016
    Per Naked Whiz, the Guru Pit Viper fan I have is compatible with the FB.  I have Guru fan adapters mounted to both WSMs.

What do you guys think about buying the BGE FB, using the 6.5cfm FB fan, or 10cfm Guru Pit Viper fan for the BGE.  And using the 10cfm Guru Pit Viper fan on the WSMs?  At least I can repurpose some of the POS Digi Q.  Could maybe use the Digi Q as a pit monitoring unit only?  From what I can tell, it may even be an upgrade in the fan dept.  Thanks
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    My FB200 is the single best purchase I've made for my Egg. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • OneNole03
    OneNole03 Posts: 93
    This sure would make a great fathers day gift, now if I can just find the right way to be suttle with my hints to my wife.  :)
  • caliking
    @focker this should be doable. The BBQ guru fans work with the FB200.  I like the fact that the guru fans have a tight seal and a damper,  so maybe less air gets sucked in when the fan is not on.  Also,  the guru fans will operate as variable speed fans with the FB. 

• Focker
    caliking said:
    @focker this should be doable. The BBQ guru fans work with the FB200.  I like the fact that the guru fans have a tight seal and a damper,  so maybe less air gets sucked in when the fan is not on.  Also,  the guru fans will operate as variable speed fans with the FB. 
    Thanks @caliking
    The guru fans are nice and tight, damper is definitely a plus too.
    Any issues with temp creep on the egg with the FB due to fan fit?
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• stlcharcoal
    edited May 2016
    Regarding using the Guru fans.....

Yes, the FB will power them--doesn't mean they will give you a better experience though.

As mentioned, the CFM is different.  The FB is calibrated to run it's own 6.5 CFM fan.  The algorithm knows that at 100% it's pumping 6.5 CFM.  On the Guru fan, it's pumping 10 CFM at 100% (but the control head doesn't know that.)  I am told the logic will eventually learn to adapt, but I assume that knowledge is lost when new firmware downloaded.

Damper: Once again, the Guru fan can be dampered, but the FB control head doesn't know it's being dampered.  So, you have a 10 CFM fan dampered down to not let much air go by.  The unit thinks it has a 6.5 CFM fan that's unrestricted.  Again, maybe it will learn over time, but that all goes out the window if you ever adjust the damper setting. 

Point being, why are you trying to reinvent the wheel?  The Flameboss is an excellent design with a very well written algorithm.  It was written FOR the Big Green Egg and all you're doing is confusing it by connecting non-OEM parts.  Two very intelligent engineers designed it, maintain it, and continue to improve it......and it wasn't with a Guru fan.

The "leaky" fan is not an issue, nor is a damper needed provided you close the daisy wheel all the way.  If air cannot escape the Egg EXCEPT under pressure, then it's not being drawn in, nor is a fan damper going to make a difference (I.e. you cannot fill a 5 gallon bucket with more than 5 gallons of water no matter what rate or how you pour it in there.)  And wind affects the Egg, not the temp controller.  The temp controller responds to the temp changes in the Egg (which losing tons of heat through radiant cooling from wind blowing over the surface and/or creating a pull on the chimney)--again, close the daisy wheel or Smokeware cap all the way and problem solved.

• GoooDawgs
    edited May 2016

Hey Jonathan  - is there a way to keep track of what happens with the new firmware updates?  Mine just downloaded 1.62 and not sure what the real difference is from before.  I assume it's minor, but it'd be cool to see what tweaks they're doing...
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • GoooDawgs
    edited May 2016

Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • stlcharcoal
    GoooDawgs said:

I am told the logic will eventually learn to adapt, but I assume that knowledge is lost when new firmware downloaded.

Hey Jonthan  - is there a way to keep track of what happens with the new firmware updates?  Mine just downloaded 1.62 and not sure what the real difference is from before.  I assume it's minor, but it'd be cool to see what tweaks they're doing...

If it's anything worth mentioning, you'll get an email from them or see it on their blog.  Otherwise, it's probably just minor tweaks.
  • Focker
    edited May 2016

Yes, the FB will power them--doesn't mean they will give you a better experience though.

As mentioned, the CFM is different.  The FB is calibrated to run it's own 6.5 CFM fan.  The algorithm knows that at 100% it's pumping 6.5 CFM.  On the Guru fan, it's pumping 10 CFM at 100% (but the control head doesn't know that.)  I am told the logic will eventually learn to adapt, but I assume that knowledge is lost when new firmware downloaded.

Damper: Once again, the Guru fan can be dampered, but the FB control head doesn't know it's being dampered.  So, you have a 10 CFM fan dampered down to not let much air go by.  The unit thinks it has a 6.5 CFM fan that's unrestricted.  Again, maybe it will learn over time, but that all goes out the window if you ever adjust the damper setting. 

Point being, why are you trying to reinvent the wheel?  The Flameboss is an excellent design with a very well written algorithm.  It was written FOR the Big Green Egg and all you're doing is confusing it by connecting non-OEM parts.  Two very intelligent engineers designed it, maintain it, and continue to improve it......and it wasn't with a Guru fan.

The "leaky" fan is not an issue, nor is a damper needed provided you close the daisy wheel all the way.  If air cannot escape the Egg EXCEPT under pressure, then it's not being drawn in, nor is a fan damper going to make a difference (I.e. you cannot fill a 5 gallon bucket with more than 5 gallons of water no matter what rate or how you pour it in there.)  And wind affects the Egg, not the temp controller.  The temp controller responds to the temp changes in the Egg (which losing tons of heat through radiant cooling from wind blowing over the surface and/or creating a pull on the chimney)--again, close the daisy wheel or Smokeware cap all the way and problem solved.

Thanks for responding.
    Is 3.5 cfm that much of a difference?

Some HVAC Al foil tape could tighten the fit on the adapter if necessary.  
    Same tape that is used to cover holes on the vents of the WSMs for the Pit Viper, and the Cajun Bandit rotisserie ring.   

So you run the FB with the DW 100% closed?

Please be patient with my overthinking. lol
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• caliking
    Not looking for a better experience necessarily, but I do want to use the FB200 with other cookers, so that's why I started playing around with the Guru fans. Who knows... I may end up building a better mouse trap in the process. 

I called FB and was told that the unit learns and adapts during each cook, but only for the duration of that cook. It will start learning and adapting anew when you start a cook again. Based on what I was told,  it will run a 25cfm fan a certain way, and a 6.5 cfm fan a different way (no, the 25cfm fan is not for the egg). So if you hook up a big fan with the damper partially closed, the FB unit will account for that vs. a different cook using a smaller fan with no damper. 

I wouldn't necessarily go buy a Guru fan to control the egg, but it may be handy for those who have Guru adapters, etc for other cookers, and want to use their FB200 with those.