Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

fire went out.....

Options
I've been hankering for a brisket for a bit now, and yesterday my neighbour was asking if I would do a brisket for him some time. So I picked up a 17 pounder brought it home and laid it in the fridge. The evening was spent visiting at friends round a campfire, great evening. Got home about 10:30 pm and lit the egg, I was a bit concerned with the smaller pieces of lump but, went with it. Tossed in some hickory and apple for smoke, while "Eggatha" (large egg) was settling in, I trimmed up the brisket and seasoned it with S&P, some lawery's salt and a touch of garlic. Brisket went on at midnight, I stayed up till 1am and things were rolling along. Went to bed, woke up at 4am and checked the egg, temp was down and the fire was dying. Glad I got up. Pulled the brisket off, and stirred the lump, got the fire going again, and threw the meat back on. It's all good so far. It's 9am and the IT is 176, probably in the stall. I only lit the fire in one spot. Next time I will lit the egg in two or three spots and try that. Any of you run into this and what was your remedy. It a beautiful day here, going to enjoy it and grilling some steak and lobster as well. Going to have all eggs active. =)
Large, small, and a mini

Comments

• badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    My cure....temp controller. I'm to lazy to get out of bed to check the meat...lol
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    LOL I'm old school and like to do it the hard way =)
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I only light my low n slows in one spot so don't think that is the culprit. Fire issues can only be one of two things -- fuel or oxygen. Did it just burn through middle and have unlit lump on sides?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    These are small fires to begin with, so lighting in multiple spots means three even smaller fires (to maintain low temps).  A healthier fire is one single fire really. 

Small bits of charcoal are fine on top of the pile i think. But i still subscribe to elder ward's philosophy of bigger chunks down low if you can

still, the amount of airflow in the egg, even with clogged holes, is still more then the narrow cross section of the vent opening. Hard for charcoal to pack so tight that once the air is in past the vent, it had no place to go. Sometimes these things die out. Glad you caught it
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• smokesniffer
    Options
    @Chubbs ya when I discovered it, it was like the fire ran out of fuel, maybe from loosely packed lump. The brisket is off the egg now and resting, we be taste testing the results after the rest.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • smokesniffer
    Options
    @Darby_Crenshaw Ya I'm glad I drug my azz out of bed to check it. It's resting now awaiting the sampling. Going to let it settle down to an IT of 145 and then carve it. @Boileregger had posted that Franklin suggested to rest the meat down to 145. Given it a try.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    You may have been a victim of the straight-down burn.  Doesn't happen often but can with a low&slow.  Great save and great eats await.  Enjoy the banquet.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,528
    edited May 2016
    Options
    On a low and slow, I would make sure to light the bottom coals for it to burn from bottom to top...I would not think one would ever have a problem with the fire going out....let the coal on the bottom burn first and fall through the fire grate....new charcoal will then fall lower and continue to burn....treat it like a gravity fed system and see how it reacts....
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Big chunks on the bottom help on L&S.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    Options
    Last night I did a 16# Prime Brisket (first Prime Cook) on my XL. Put it on at 7:30pm.  Around 11 and 2am I have the temp drop to 210, opened the vents all the way and about 20 minutes later I was back in business (250-275).  Around 3:30am had a similar problem to I took my heat gun and got a nice burn again. Needless to say I didn't sleep much last night.  I have a temp controller CyberQ but only used it 2 times on my MM and found that it burned the lump very fast (had to refill after 4 1/2 hours.  I guess I need to work on my Lump placement, will admit I just dumped the bag in.  I was using Humphrey Lump, seems to burn clean and long. It reached 190 IT after 14 hours (sooner than I thought). I wrapped in towel and into the cooler for about 3.5 hours until 142 degrees.  I must say this was the best I have done (4th Brisket cook). lots of complements.  

Need to work on using the Cyber Q for long cooks and lump placement.  

Comments welcome (always love learning).
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    What temp were you running it at?  I won't go to bed if its below 275.