Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Favorite Hot Sauces?

I apologize if this topic has been covered before.  Too lazy to look.  

I'm a big hot sauce fan.  One of my favorite sandwich joints is firehouse subs because of their large variety of hot sauces.  Y'all have any favorites that are must have?  I'm completely out and am looking to order some more.  Two of my favorites from firehouse subs have been Gator Hammock and Lynchburg Whiskey Hot Sauce.  I will be ordering those soon.  What else do you folks use?  

Comments

• There's a cheap Mexican one available in my area called "El Yucateco XXX". Just the right amount of heat and great flavour. When I'm feeling less risk-averse, I break out the Blair's Mega Death or Ultra Death. It's not intended to be used undiluted, but it can be used this way if you are very, very careful.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Yellow bird hot sauce out of Austin. The habanero is excellent.
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    I like Valentina but it isn't really that hot, just great flavor and cheep.

In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348

Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • Barons West Indian Hot Sauce from St. Lucia
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    I tried a taste of this tonight and it was so hot I couldn't eat my dinner. My mouth was completely on fire from just a few drops. By far the hottest sauce I have ever tasted. I should have read the back first. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,024
    @Hi54putty , I almost picked some of that up at world market last weekend.  Good to know.  Lol
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    My wife and kids thought it was hilarious. I just sat there drinking cold water while they ate. And wing night at that! 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    I like Texas Pete for general hot sauce.  

I like Texas Pete Cha (Siracha) probably a little better than Huy Fong stuff.  

Sambal Oelek 

Valentina (black label)

Cholua regular and chipotle  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
     Cholua, Melindas Habanaro, Rectal Rocket fuel, Datil Do Ya.  These are real nice flavorful sauces that are "hot", but nowhere near the insane parts of the spectrum. I always have at least one of these on hand. Always have a vinegar based mild sauce like Franks, Tabasco, Louisiana or Crystal on hand as well for utilitarian use as ingredients. Siracha(original Rooster) is also a must have.

Jim
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 2016
    Arizona Gunslinger's Chipotle Habanero is at the top of my Mexican hot sauce list.  Nice smokey, flavorful heat.
    I actually had one of their sample packs, and this one was my favorite.   Wouldn't be a bad purchase if wanting to try a variety for $16.
    http://www.azgunslinger.com/index.php?p=product&id=4

The Cholula Original is another staple at the house.  Love it with chorizo from the Mexican grocer and eggs in the mornings.  My 8 year old loves it too.

Franks for wings, and adding in other recipes. 

El Yucateca Verde is solid when using table hot sauce at the local Mexican joints. 

Famous Dave's Wilbur's Revenge is a fantastic sweeter bbq hog sauce.  I think its pineapple that sweetens it, and habs that heat it, but it's hot.  A drizzle on PP or ribs.  Good stuff.

Fellow egghead led me to Mike's Hot Honey recently.  Drizzled some on a pie today, awesome!  Lots of opportunities.   

Calabrian chile oil will wake things up too.  Great smokey, salty heat.  Versatile. 

La Bomba is another great choice.  Hard to get a hold of, down to my last jar.

That about sums up the preferences, and current inventory.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Cholula all day long.  Fruity mild heat that most like. I like hotter but use this for guests.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Depends.  For Asian foods, I like Sriracha.  For other applications, I really like Crystal Hot Sauce.  It has a wonderful flavor.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Cholula, texas pete, tapatio, sriracha are all good sauces. For extreme heat i like the daves gourmet scorpion pepper, which is hotter than the daves ghost. I eat a pea sized drop on a couple eggs, and it HURTS!!!!

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• Gdfein
    Gdfein Posts: 60
    Frank's is my favorite by far. 
    BGE XL Woodlands, TX (Originally from Buffalo, NY but I got here as fast as I could)
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    I really like Melindas Habanero. It is made with carrots so it isn't super hot but lots of flavour. Hard to get here so use Cholula 

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Having done my tour of duty with self torture with extremely hot sauces in Asia, I am done with the psycho burns. 
    Cholula is my max for heat these says, if at all.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • jak7028
    jak7028 Posts: 231
    For an everyday, all purpose hot sauce that is readily available , I would go with Cholula or Green Jalapeno Tabasco.  
    Victoria, TX - 1 Large BGE and a 36" Blackstone
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Focker said:
    Arizona Gunslinger's Chipotle Habanero is at the top of my Mexican hot sauce list.  Nice smokey, flavorful heat.
    I actually had one of their sample packs, and this one was my favorite.   Wouldn't be a bad purchase if wanting to try a variety for $16.
    http://www.azgunslinger.com/index.php?p=product&id=4

The Cholula Original is another staple at the house.  Love it with chorizo from the Mexican grocer and eggs in the mornings.  My 8 year old loves it too.

Franks for wings, and adding in other recipes. 

El Yucateca Verde is solid when using table hot sauce at the local Mexican joints. 

Famous Dave's Wilbur's Revenge is a fantastic sweeter bbq hog sauce.  I think its pineapple that sweetens it, and habs that heat it, but it's hot.  A drizzle on PP or ribs.  Good stuff.

Fellow egghead led me to Mike's Hot Honey recently.  Drizzled some on a pie today, awesome!  Lots of opportunities.   

Calabrian chile oil will wake things up too.  Great smokey, salty heat.  Versatile. 

La Bomba is another great choice.  Hard to get a hold of, down to my last jar.

That about sums up the preferences, and current inventory.

This is the first time I've seen anyone mention Arizona Gunslinger on a hot sauce thread. I love the stuff. Freshest tasting stuff ever. Used to order a dozen cases a year. Not real hot but the bottle doesn't just drip but pours. If you like La Bomba I can help you out. Just message me.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    I have been using this lately and like it. Plus it's local 

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited April 2016
    There's a cheap Mexican one available in my area called "El Yucateco XXX". Just the right amount of heat and great flavour. When I'm feeling less risk-averse, I break out the Blair's Mega Death or Ultra Death. It's not intended to be used undiluted, but it can be used this way if you are very, very careful.
    My son gave me some gator hammock for Christmas. Cooked a batch of wings with it for the Supper bowl. Good stuff.

My go to's are Texas Pete, Crystal, Tabasco and Franks.....but will hit most anything available. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Gamecockeggman
    Gamecockeggman Posts: 1,329
    Frank's Red Hot....I put that **** on everything...
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Pickapeppa from Jamaica and Heartbreaking Dawns 1498 Trinidad Scorpion Sauce

I've been eating this stuff since I was a little kid in the early 60s (yeah I'm old). My dad used to bring it home when we lived in Sandy Springs outside of Atlanta back then from his trips to the Caribbean.

I've grown lots of superhot peppers, these folks from NY at Heartbreaking Dawns make some wonderful sauces, they're hot but damn good.  Just had this tonight on a pulled pork sammie, delish

LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • schafe98
    schafe98 Posts: 46
    It depends what I'm eating but favorites are Rectal Rocket Fuel (great jerk flavor), Tiger Sauce, Yucatan Sunshine Habanero Pepper Sauce (not over the top hot, excellent flavor)
    Vacaville, CA

LBGE, Weber Summit, UDS, Weber Classic, Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China
  • Crystal and Leon's Southern Charm.