Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

AR or Woo...need a little help

Options
I'm a little confused. I've seen a couple of videos on both via youtube but am still torn. I hear a lot of great things about the woo, but it looks like the AR would be just as good if not better.

What is the forums opinion?

Comments

• BigGreenBamaGriller
    Options
    I use both...
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    You need both.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• HondaHawk
    HondaHawk Posts: 98
    Options
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Both?! I don't have either!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    Both here, too.
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    I'm in the same boat, both is $$$
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    What size egg do you have?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • NC_Egghead
    NC_Egghead Posts: 786
    Options
    Both for me too.
    Charlotte, NC

XL BGE, WSM, Weber Genesis 2, Weber Kettle
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Don't get me wrong, both the Woo and AR are fantastic for the Large Egg. But if you have the AR, why would you need a Woo unless you have more than one Egg?
    What are you doing with the Woo that you can't do with the AR?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • NC_Egghead
    Options
    The AR sits on top of the factory grate on top of the Woo. For l&s I do this order: woo, stone, grease catcher, factory grate, AR with additional grate(s).
    Charlotte, NC

• Photo Egg
    Options
    The AR sits on top of the factory grate on top of the Woo. For l&s I do this order: woo, stone, grease catcher, factory grate, AR with additional grate(s).
    So this is with your XL? I can understand having both. I do as well.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Are you sure you thinking about the spider?  The woo bring everything up to gasket level.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Are you sure you thinking about the spider?  The woo bring everything up to gasket level.  
    The XL Rig works together with XL Woo. Different than with Large AR.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Do you already have a plate setter ? If so I would get a woo with  a grid extender. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    What is the full price on top line AR with all the goodies?
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • HondaHawk
    Options
    DMW said:
    What size egg do you have?
    Large (and mm)
  • HondaHawk
    Options

Do you already have a plate setter ? If so I would get a woo with  a grid extender. 
    I have the cast iron plate setter
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Thanks for the education.  I keep forgetting about the egg sizes I don't have    Lol.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • NC_Egghead
    Options
    I didn't buy the BGE plate setter. Instead I went with this:

Charlotte, NC

• bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    Options
    I initially purchased the platesetter when I bought my XL. I would have been money ahead to buy the Woo/AR in the first place and not had to throw away a bunch of cobbled together junk to do what this combo does with elegance. Next to my Thermapen the best accessory I bought for my Egg. The combination allows you to do any combination of cooks that the Egg is capable from wok to low level sear and to raised grid and multiple racks or anything you might dream up. It's a little pricy but worth every penny in my estimation.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Thanks for the education.  I keep forgetting about the egg sizes I don't have    Lol.  
    You need more Eggs...lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Eggingaround
    Options
    I have the AR and really like it. I also have the spider with a stone and use that for low and slow instead of the oval AR stone, unless I'm doing brisket. Give Tom a call and talk to him about what you're looking to do and he'll steer you in the right direction. 
    Mckinney, TX
    LBGE--AR with Rig extender 
    Mini Max
  • smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    Options
    I have a large with the AR, the grid extender, the oval stone, the sliding D grate, and 2 oval grates. This allows me a ton of flexibility. I can cook on one level at gasket level, or higher, I can cook 4 whole slabs of spare ribs at one time, or I can cook spare ribs on the bottom grate and chicken or something else on the sliding D grate. The only thing the Woo will buy me is the ability to cook on 3 levels I think. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    You need both.
    Not necessarily. 

Woo has served me well and I've never thought, "damn, I wished I had an adjustable rig". 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I had a similar thread before buying one. Answered a few of the questions I had. In the end I bought the AR R&B (ribs and brisket) combo. I think I added another oval sliding shelf to it. It's been great and the multiple racks and cooking higher helps a lot. I did not get a Woo and don't currently plan to. My BGE plate setter sits in a drawer.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Thanks to all which have shared their opinions on this. Great topic and thread. I am interested in purchasing set ups for my eggs as well. Very educational for me.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    On my XL use the WOO for one level raised grid direct cooking or Woking.  I use the  AR rig for multi level direct or indirect cooking and increased real estate.  I use the platesetter legs up for gasket level indirect and platesetter legs down with the pizza stone for pizza and baking. 
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Just call Tom at the Ceramic Grill Store and let him know what and how you cook.
    He will put you on the right track.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX