Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Would you or wouldn't you...

Options
Just my version of, should I cook it or should I eat it...  

Took out an 8 lb turkey breast from the freezer to defrost and smoke on Sunday.  Had it out in cold water in the sink for one hour, changing the water once, then put it in the fridge overnight.  Placed back in cold water for only 15 minutes (still solid for the most part), then had to put it back into the fridge.  Should be fully defrosted by now, but in reading some safety guidelines, they say if you use the cold water method to defrost, you need to cook it immediately after defrosting.  It was always either in the cold water or the fridge, so is it safe?

Comments

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    why wouldn't it be?
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I would cook it.  As long as it was still very cold when you put it back in the fridge. 

You mentioned it was still mostly solid when you took it out of the water. If that is the case it should be fine. It would be for me. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    If the water was at 40F or below, the entire time you should be ok. If not at 40F or below there will be a risk. It is recommended to thaw in your fridge set at 40F. If you thawed in water above 40F, then place back in the fridge which could be above 40F you may have some opportunity for bacteria to rapidly multiply, and create an opportunity for the potential of food poisoning.
    40F is the lower end of the safe food threshold, and temperatures above that provide risk. You need about 30 minutes per pound changing water frequently and monitoring the temp. The safest way is in a fridge at or below 40F.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    As long as it wasn't in the 140-40 range for more than 4 hours. You are well within the safe zone. 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I would
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    Options
    i would and im fairly paranoid when it comes to poultry and pork
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options

I had a bad experience with defrosting turkey in cold water about 20 yrs ago and never was the same since....  you'll probably be OK but to answer your question- I wouldn't cook it.... I would throw it away.

• YukonRon
    Options

I had a bad experience with defrosting turkey in cold water about 20 yrs ago and never was the same since....  you'll probably be OK but to answer your question- I wouldn't cook it.... I would throw it away.

I don't know that I would risk it either. I have had a bad experience with improperly defrosted turkey. I have been very careful since.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Well did you or didn't you?

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    why wouldn't it be?
    This is my sentiment too. Not eating it never would have crossed my mind.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options

I take a couple chicken breasts, pork chips, ground beef or what have you,  out of the freezer and put them on a plate and leave on the counter when I leave for work. When I get home from work its thawed and ready to go. I haven't died or got sick. EVER.

If I plan a little better I pull it the day before an leave it in the fridge over night to thaw.

Your fine to eat it, especially if the breast was still solid. It has not been in the danger zone for any length of time.

• HDmstng
    HDmstng Posts: 192
    Options
    Sorry, been in the bathroom the last two days to respond...j/k.  With two little ones at home, we decided to play it safe and toss it, plus been a bit busy.  The plan was to smoke it while I put down pavers, ~50 sq ft off our patio.  This was to keep the Egg (and my wife's gasser) on.  Between moving about 4000 lbs of pavers and gravel on Sunday, I never got around to lighting up the egg.  

Here's some of the work in progress, and a hijack of my own thread.  The pavers are 16x16x2 and initially we were going to go 12' x 2.7'.  After I had dug that out and brought home the 20 pavers, my wife thought it didn't go out enough and requested another row.  That meant everything got 50% bigger, more digging, and another run to the store...fun fun.  It was the right call though.
    Compaction of pavers and other questions-1460951770600jpg

My calculations said I needed 3/4 of a yard of gravel, ended up buying 1 yard in bulk, but it still wasn't enough.  Picked up another 5 cubic feet to finish it off.  That stuff compacted more than I thought, not to mention I probably dug it a bit too deep.  After getting the bedding sand down yesterday, I was able to get a little over half the pavers down.  Hopefully it'll be done tonight, as we are expecting rain tomorrow.
    Compaction of pavers and other questions-1460951784567jpg
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    If i recall the turkey didnt thaw in water right? It was in water for 15minutes and still frozen. Then water again for an hour and still frozen?

four hours unfrozen (between 40-140) is the general rule of thumb

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I want to know how you people eat food from grocery stores if you wouldn't eat this!?  
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    playing it safe is UNDERSTANDING the 4 hour rule =)  if in in doubt throw it out is NOT a good rule.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Don't know the specifics, just know what I had read. If there is an absolute unknown, why risk your health or the health of your family? I would have done a brisket anyway,  =)
    @HDmstng I totally get the patio extension. The curse of the BGE! Watch your savings dwindle. I redid mine too.
    When I brought it home and put it on the patio, My Beautiful Wife suggested I add on to create space for my BGE XL, so I did. Then we got new patio furniture, then outdoor audio, then rewired for out door electricity, then outdoor lighting, then total landscape redesign....it never ends.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • HDmstng
    Options
    My wife cooked the turkey breast in the oven today.  She said it smelled fine when she unwrapped it.  I'll keep y'all posted!  

@YukonRon Yeah, it does get expensive!  We had already had the patio replaced and expanded in concrete this past December, so what's a bit more?
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I really can't see any reason the bird wouldn't have been completely safe to cook and eat.  Respect your approach.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • HDmstng
    Options
  • DanO08
    DanO08 Posts: 15
    Options
    Cook it
    XLBGE
    Mini Max
    Weber Kettle (rarely in action since the Mini Max addition)
    Fort Worth, TX

• Roadpuke0
    Roadpuke0 Posts: 529
    Options
    Should have cooked it. Was a waste if you ask me, but thats me. 
    Plumbers local 130 chicago.     Why do today what you can do tomorrow

weapons: XL, Minie, old gasser, weber, v10 Bradley smoker and sometimes talent!

Bristol, Wisconsin 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I'm confused. First you said you tossed it, then you said your wife cooked it.  Which is it?

You should have cooked it. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Totally safe if you cook it during a clean burn at 800+
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Alton Brown did a Thanksgiving turkey brine video where he put a frozen turkey in a brine for 2 days and does not refrigerate it, only stores it in a closet. Couldn't find the video but here it is written down. He uses a thermometer alarm and says the water has never gotten above 40 degrees.
    http://altonbrown.com/why-i-still-brine-my-thanksgiving-turkey/
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him understand basic concepts and use simple logic 

• Eggscuses
    Eggscuses Posts: 399
    Options
    I'm confused. First you said you tossed it, then you said your wife cooked it.  Which is it?

You should have cooked it. 
    I think they changed their minds again
  • Eggscuses
    Eggscuses Posts: 399
    Options

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him understand basic concepts and use simple logic 
    I like your version better than the original.