Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone still interested in BGE Chiminea

Options

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,085
    Options
    Nice score!  I love those.  Would look awesome in a outdoor kitchen setup.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    I was seriously in the market for one and my dealer had had one for a couple years but finally cut the price just to move it - but to someone else. I asked about a special order and about then they fired their office manager who did the ordering. The order never got placed and then BGE dropped it and I never pursued it.

A couple years later I bought one of those metal caldruns with a metal dome screen. Only issue I have never yet ever used it as would just be out in the side yard on the grass. Guess that $100 spent and never used is cheaper than $385 that I also may have not ever used on my wooden deck! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    edited April 2016
    Options
    My blood runs as green as anyone's, but i'd rather use the money for protein or put towards another egg.  

While I think these things are cool, over $400 with tax for what is really a $50 chiminea is a little much. 
    Phoenix 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Hmmm .... I think the price is reasonable.  Brand new, warranty'd, and very limited supply.

Glad it sold.  Now I don't need to debate driving an hour north.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    DMW said:
    SloppyJoe said:
    What purpose does a chimenea serve? 
    Ambiance
    @DMW never owned one.  does it hold any advantages to a tradional fire pit?
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    johnnyp said:
    DMW said:
    SloppyJoe said:
    Ambiance
    Yes.  It matches the eggs.  Cool conversation piece.
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac any functional benefit?  As in safer? Heats a patio better on cold fall night?
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Hmmm .... I think the price is reasonable.  Brand new, warranty'd, and very limited supply.

Glad it sold.  Now I don't need to debate driving an hour north.
    It didn't have the same warranty as an egg it was only like 5 years.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    johnnyp said:
    DMW said:
    SloppyJoe said:
    Ambiance

I would bet good money that one of these would keep you far warmer for around $50. 

Dyna-Glo 30K LP Double Tank Top Gas Portable Heater - CSA

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options

It does not give off that much heat, unless your close.

Apollo Beach, FL
  • feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    johnnyp said:
    DMW said:
    SloppyJoe said:
    Ambiance
    Of course it does...
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    johnnyp said:
    DMW said:
    SloppyJoe said:
    Ambiance

I would bet good money that one of these would keep you far warmer for around $50. 

Dyna-Glo 30K LP Double Tank Top Gas Portable Heater - CSA
    Warm? Guess so, but I bet most buyers would prefer to sit around a fire and smell and watch the wood embers while roasting marshmallows or whatever's than getting a propane sun burn.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    Any chance....if we **** loud and long....that the Mothership would bring them back? Wouldn't mind having one....
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    dougcrann said:
    Any chance....if we **** loud and long....that the Mothership would bring them back? Wouldn't mind having one....
    Well, they sold one about every year or so. Only when you couldn't get one would people pay for them. The cost of setting up the line to produce then chiminea is not worth it to them. Fwiw, I do think parts are available because there are so few of them in action. New old stock. 
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    You can get them hot if you do it right. I think of this video every time a chiminea is brought up. Can't post the video on mobile site. Look up "Youtube chiminea leaf blower". Freaking hilarious. 

Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• warwoman
    warwoman Posts: 279
    Options
    Hell, I'll just go buy one of them there cheap (?) meskin chimichangas and git me some high temp green paint, and git all dat ambeence I want!
    From the NE Georgia Mountains! Me, SWMBO, and two spoiled ass Springers!
  • bgeaddikt
    bgeaddikt Posts: 503
    Options
    Good luck! I kicked and tossed every other box while loading at UPS. Fragile meant throw it harder
    Austin, Tx
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    So you are that guy. Nice to know. Thanks.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • LetsEat
    LetsEat Posts: 458
    Options
    @Hotch I'm hoping the best for UPS transport and delivery of your Chiminea.  I'm kicking myself for not offering to  pick  it up and storing it until you could personally take possession.  
    IL 
  • Hotch
    Options
    LetsEat said:
    @Hotch I'm hoping the best for UPS transport and delivery of your Chiminea.  I'm kicking myself for not offering to  pick  it up and storing it until you could personally take possession.  
    @LetsEat No worries sounds like bgeaddikt no long loads at UPS, so we all should be safe. And I have insured it. So if I get more pieces than I should, I will sell them back to UPS for a small profit.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    bgeaddikt said:
    Good luck! I kicked and tossed every other box while loading at UPS. Fragile meant throw it harder
    Retired, disgruntled USPS employee here. When I was trained in Jersey it was by a couple of Italians. They told me that "Fragile" meantto beat the snot out of it...in Italian....so guess what I did for close to 20 years....
  • GREG
    GREG Posts: 22
    Options
    I have 3 of these.  Two have the cooking grid and one has the chimney.  They are a blast to cook on.  I gave several as Christmas gifts about three years ago when they were still available from BGE.
  • Hotch
    Options
    GREG said:
    I have 3 of these.  Two have the cooking grid and one has the chimney.  They are a blast to cook on.  I gave several as Christmas gifts about three years ago when they were still available from BGE.
    @GREG Thanks for the pics. Which stand is that? S M L
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    bgeaddikt said:
    That's nice.  Not sure why people would do that.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    bgeaddikt said:
    That's nice.  Not sure why people would do that.
    Getting even with the man.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

A UPS driver who intentionally ruins the package I've been waiting for deserves a very solid punch to the mouth.  Just sayin.

Phoenix 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    blasting said:

A UPS driver who intentionally ruins the package I've been waiting for deserves a very solid punch to the mouth.  Just sayin.

USPS. Restoring your faith in govt. nice huh. I hope he's kidding. 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    There's one here in STL with the stand and cooking grid for $300.
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    There's one here in STL with the stand and cooking grid for $300.
    Can you pm me info?

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf