Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Homemade MiniMax Cart

Decided to build a new home for the MiniMax.  I wanted it at the same grilling height as the newly acquired Large BGE.  Built the frame, slapped some of that wood paneling kit stuff on it, put on some wheels and voila! 

I meant to take a picture before I started staining, but only remembered as soon as the brush touched the wood for the first time.

After three coats of stain, three coats of Helmsman, it's time to play the 72 hour waiting game.

Added the hardware and out it goes next to big brother.

Eventually we'll get pavers or a concrete pad put in so that we can build our dream outdoor kitchen, but this works for now. 

Comments

• Thecoiman
    Thecoiman Posts: 134
    very nice cart
    Garland, TX

2 Large, 1 Mini Max, 1 Mini
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Great idea and design.  

Spring "Think, And Ideas Will Come" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• apinion
    apinion Posts: 470
    Man, I love the new table and I know you have locks on your wheels, but it just makes me nervous with all of those grooves in your pavers.  I'd hate to see those things go overboard.
    Louisianian by birth, Louisianian by death. Austinite for now...
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,007
    edited April 2016
    This may be a stupid question (last time I did DIY was two decades ago and was instantly banned for life from doing any more by my wife), but what do you use to support the shelf/weight of the egg?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

• Chef_Hobo
    Chef_Hobo Posts: 70
    edited April 2016
    @Stormbringer Not a stupid question at all!  I used 2x4 lumber for the frame.  It's pretty sturdy.  Sat on it a few times to ensure and there was no buckling or creaking.  Sorry about the blurry/crappy pic, but hopefully this will give you a little insight as to how I did it:

@apinion That's why I never plan on moving it during cooking.  It makes me nervous, too though.  We're hoping to put in the pavers/cement pad next year.  Once that's in, I plan on building the outdoor kitchen where they will definitely be more secure.  I plan on trying to tackle it myself and have been watching and/or following any Zform/concrete counter top threads with much intent.  I've seen a lot of positives about that.  Anyone have any negatives?
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,007
    edited April 2016
    Thanks. Off to ask the wife if I have permission to make one. And make sure the first aid kit is stocked up.
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

• Chef_Hobo
    Chef_Hobo Posts: 70
    Alfred Pennyworth: Why do we fall sir? So that we can learn to pick ourselves up.

You can do it @Stormbringer!!  Just make sure you plan it out on paper first.