Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Filet Mignon

Options
500 Posts: 3,177
Found this on sale. Trumps planned dinner of chicken sausages with peppers and onions. I think this needs a reverse sear. More later. 
I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
Member since 2009

Comments

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Nice find.  Look forward to the finish.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    What. A. Score.  I'm very jealous
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Wolfie51sb
    Wolfie51sb Posts: 267
    Options
    Stunned to see a "prime" and "Kroger" label on the same piece of meat. Have never seen a prime cut of anything at our local Kroger. Maybe I need new glasses.

Rob

Columbus, Ohio

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    There's prime and then there's the prime you found.
    A lot of prime doesn't look nearly as good as your find.
    Options
    Agreed. I don't see Kroger Prime that often at Kroger.  There were others cuts but this one did look the best. 

Turned out damn good. About 40 minutes at 250 indirect, then pulled them and cranked it to 600 and seared them off. One was on the rare side and the other was medium rare. Amazing what you can do with a good cut of meat, some good grilling tools like the Egg, and some technique and finesse. 

Member since 2009
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Great find!  Looking spot on.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Yes sir... Great find!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    I never find deals like that

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    Clean livin' pays off again! Congrats on stumbling across those and taking advantage big time. Looks great.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Wolfie51sb
    Wolfie51sb Posts: 267
    Options
    Those look fantastic.

Rob

Columbus, Ohio

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Nom Nom!
    Beautiful!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Looks awesome.  Very nice find.  I have never seen prime beef in Kroger in my area.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    I'd be tempted to pull that WooHoo sticker off, and use it again. Ten bucks each for a prime filet that size is outstanding.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

Options
    Yes, we did taste a difference between the Choice we usually get at Kroger and Sam's compared to this Prime.  There were a couple bites on the end that the family said tasted like bacon.  I didn't use any extra smoke wood, but I did taste a subtle smoke from the lump.  Going low and slow at first was a nice touch on this cut.  Loved the thickness.  I will seek out more of these deals on the clearance rack next time.
    Member since 2009
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Yes please. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• BikerBob
    BikerBob Posts: 284
    Options
    Two weeks ago Kroger had a half tenderloin for $9,95 a pound. The sixty dollar one we got gave us several filets. I don't see a grade on a lot of Kroger meat and assume if it was even choice, it would be so marked.
    Wal Mart has a "USDA inspected" label on  a lot of its beef. The last time I was in a chicken plant there were barrels of rejected birds. These birds were "USDA inspected" and found unfit for human consumption. Makes a person wonder what inspector said about the meat.
    Cooking on the coast
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    USDA inspects for wholesomeness. 

But grading is elective, and foods don't need a USDA grade to be sold

You'll never see a grade for Omaha Steaks for example

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Racin Rick
    Options
    500, great looking, and I'm sure great tasting cook.  I also check the meat manager's specials @ my Krogers. I like to call them, " cook today specials".  I have found some jems, such as bone-in ribeye roasts, but you hit the jackpot.