Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Minimax v joe jr

Options

Comments

• piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    Legume said:
    Can't believe nobody's mentioned that the Joe Jr. is commie red.  
    Don't they have two colors?  #blackjoesmatter
    Now thats funny right there!
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,360
    Options
    Photo Egg said:

HeavyG said:
    Photo Egg said:
    From a value stand point, like others have said, the MMax is worth more.
    You should expect a better deal on the KJ Jr although their price is increasing.
    With KJ it does not matter how good your dealer is or if he will be a KJ dealer in the future. All warranty is direct with KJ.
    Both are great cookers. The MMax will be a little less weight and smaller foot print when traveling as the stand is more compact.

The KJ Jr. weighs less than the MiniMax.
    I have both. Never took a weight on each but the Jr seemed heavier. My bad.
    What is the weight difference on a home scale?
    Don't know. Just going by posted specs on the respective manufacturers websites.

68 pounds vs. 90 pounds.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• chrisc133
    chrisc133 Posts: 501
    Options
    I have a Jr and love it...don't regret the purchase at all.  I got it new for $400 at the roadshow.
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Photo Egg said:

HeavyG said:
    Photo Egg said:
    From a value stand point, like others have said, the MMax is worth more.
    You should expect a better deal on the KJ Jr although their price is increasing.
    With KJ it does not matter how good your dealer is or if he will be a KJ dealer in the future. All warranty is direct with KJ.
    Both are great cookers. The MMax will be a little less weight and smaller foot print when traveling as the stand is more compact.

The KJ Jr. weighs less than the MiniMax.
    I have both. Never took a weight on each but the Jr seemed heavier. My bad.
    What is the weight difference on a home scale?
    Don't know. Just going by posted specs on the respective manufacturers websites.

68 pounds vs. 90 pounds.
    I will try and get a true unpacked weight this weekend unless another Egger does it first. 
    Wonder how much weight is added to an Egg that has been used for many years. We know moisture will "seep" out and run down the Egg. Wonder if the stuff trapped in the ceramics adds any noticeable weight over time?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SunDeviledEgg
    Options
    slovelad said:
    so my local dealer gives me really great deals. and I'm thinking about buying a minimax.

but today I go in the store and he is bringing in Kamado joes. This is a game changer.

he has the joetisserie and all the attachments for them.

question is. He said he would sell either one to me for 499 (with plate setter included)

which one would you get?
    where do you live?
  • clifkincaid
    clifkincaid Posts: 572
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Our company has MM with accessories $414
    Just opened one this morning and seen the Tag
  • Eggzellent
    Eggzellent Posts: 238
    edited April 2016
    Options
    ^^^^^ +1 on the stand.
    Challenges put out there in terms of material differences, firebox configurations, overall shapes and even heat retention in relation to how these things cook at this tiny size have went absolutely nowhere that I can tell. When everything is seemingly the same; I'll take overall weight 9 times out of 10 (advantage MiniMax). 

Assuming the you mean advantage MM for weighing the most? For a kamado marketing portability,  I think the advantage would be Joe. Jr.?
    If portability was defined as 'stability while being transported' (using the OEM stand on both) I'd (still) say advantage MM for its comparative squattiness. One lighter than the other in terms of say a Pelican vs Walmart cooler and the marketing of portability?...I suppose so. 
    As offered above and many times previously..nobody up here here (including me) seems to have the background or knowledge to flesh out the simple physics separating these two cookers. Absent that tutorial?...I simply picked the heavier (denser material?) cooker and called it a day.
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    Our company has MM with accessories $414
    Just opened one this morning and seen the Tag
    Who is your company? I will buy one right now.
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Options
    I have a Joe Jr and love it, just need to figure out a table system for it....
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    ^^^^^ +1 on the stand.
    Challenges put out there in terms of material differences, firebox configurations, overall shapes and even heat retention in relation to how these things cook at this tiny size have went absolutely nowhere that I can tell. When everything is seemingly the same; I'll take overall weight 9 times out of 10 (advantage MiniMax). 

Assuming the you mean advantage MM for weighing the most? For a kamado marketing portability,  I think the advantage would be Joe. Jr.?
    If portability was defined as 'stability while being transported' (using the OEM stand on both) I'd (still) say advantage MM for its comparative squattiness. One lighter than the other in terms of say a Pelican vs Walmart cooler and the marketing of portability?...I suppose so. 
    As offered above and many times previously..nobody up here here (including me) seems to have the background or knowledge to flesh out the simple physics separating these two cookers. Absent that tutorial?...I simply picked the heavier (denser material?) cooker and called it a day.
    No reason to become offensive pal.  I was asking a question to see if you indeed noted that correctly.  Hey, it's cool.  Go Green!  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 895
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Same price, I would buy the one with local warranty - it's worth a lot to me in time and hassle to not have to ship parts back and wait for new parts to show up. My BGE dealer only asks for a picture of the damage, and then he calls when my new part shows up.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• bigalsworth
    bigalsworth Posts: 685
    edited April 2016
    Options
    ^^^^^ +1 on the stand.

If you want to do the test yourself then find the coefficient of thermal conductivity of each ceramic, use a smokeware cap on each for consistency (also you can assume the same heat lost therefore you can do less work), calculate the surface area of the ceramic, put them in a temperature controlled environment, add the exact same amount of heat to each, measure the temperature of the inside of the surface of the ceramic in several places and the outside temperature of the ceramic corresponding to the inside sample point. 

use the formula Q=lamda*surface area*delta temperature/thickness of the material for the ceramic.  Average your ceramic heat loss and voila you have a comparison of the two.  Still not without its problems but it should give you a general idea.  you could just use a representative segment of the surface area as well as long as it is the same on both and in the same general area, such as a 10*10 cm area and just compare those. 

for my money i would say they are near identical ceramic wise and the difference is weight is due to the fact that they have different dimensions throughout their whole profile
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    Hey, if I could have bought a MM at the same price as I paid for my Joe Jr. I would have bought a MM.  At $200 difference, I went Joe Jr. 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • chuck0531
    chuck0531 Posts: 11
    Options
    This whole conversation is hilarious IMHO. Very entertaining to say the least. This question, on the egghead forum, in general is a bit asinine to say the least. I realize members of this forum have different cookers but most have Big Green Eggs. Ask this same question on the KJ forum and you will get totally different responses. Choose the one you like most and go for it. After all you will be getting everything you need to smoke, grill, and bake with both. Secondly both are quality cookers and you will be able to produce tasty food from either one.  ;)
  • bigalsworth
    bigalsworth Posts: 685
    Options
    chuck0531 said:
    This whole conversation is hilarious IMHO. Very entertaining to say the least. This question, on the egghead forum, in general is a bit asinine to say the least. I realize members of this forum have different cookers but most have Big Green Eggs. Ask this same question on the KJ forum and you will get totally different responses. Choose the one you like most and go for it. After all you will be getting everything you need to smoke, grill, and bake with both. Secondly both are quality cookers and you will be able to produce tasty food from either one.  ;)
    you will find that many on here have several cookers and enjoy giving the pros and cons to each, there have been many discussions in the past about one cooker vs another.  having said that yes you are right most lean towards the green camp because, hell, thats what forum we are on
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • chuck0531
    chuck0531 Posts: 11
    Options
    Can't go wrong with multiple cookers (of same or differing brands). Especially  handy when needing to cook at different temps. You are right about the pros and cons with cookers because the perfect cooker isn't a reality - it is more of what satisfies each one's needs and style of cooking the best. Love my kamados but also know there are other cookers that are capable of producing delicious food. 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    DieselkW said:
    Same price, I would buy the one with local warranty - it's worth a lot to me in time and hassle to not have to ship parts back and wait for new parts to show up. My BGE dealer only asks for a picture of the damage, and then he calls when my new part shows up.
    Kamado Joe does not ask for broken parts to be returned. Just a photo as well.
    You don't have to depend on the dealer at all.
    Took me less than a week to have a new fire box shipped direct to my front door on my KJ Big Joe. No trips to the dealer needed.
    BGE Dealer will ask for photos, then you have to back and pick up parts as "most" will have shipped in their next delivery as they normally don't like to give them out of store stock. My BGE dealer is great but do not stock replacement ceramics for warranty. Or at least do not give them out same day.
    I have seen posts about dealers that do. So again, depends on your BGE Dealer and also depends on how long they will stay a BGE Dealer.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,631
    Options
    Warranty comparisons are nice, but I think we need more engineering discussions to resolve this.  Have we discussed the paint yet?  Porosity?
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    DieselkW said:
    Took me less than a week to have a new fire box shipped direct to my front door on my KJ Big Joe. No trips to the dealer needed.
    BGE Dealer will ask for photos, then you have to back and pick up parts as "most" will have shipped in their next delivery as they normally don't like to give them out of store stock. My BGE dealer is great but do not stock replacement ceramics for warranty. Or at least do not give them out same day.
    I have seen posts about dealers that do. So again, depends on your BGE Dealer and also depends on how long they will stay a BGE Dealer.
    I think the majority of egg dealers are asking for parts back now. I had never been asked in the past and last week I got a replacement fire ring for my MM and they said I needed the cracked ring. I drove to the mothership and showed them the pic and they gave me a new one. This may be a distributor requirement.
  • tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    Options
    i had to make this same decision about a month ago.  bought the joe jr at the costco road show and have no regrets.  bge has their heads up their asses on the price of the minimax in my opinion 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,036
    Options
    tonyled said:
    i had to make this same decision about a month ago.  bought the joe jr at the costco road show and have no regrets.  bge has their heads up their asses on the price of the minimax in my opinion 
    I would agree that it's overpriced.  On the other hand, they seem to be selling plenty of them.  At the end of the day, people seem to be willing to pay more for a Big Green Egg.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Little over a year ago I was looking at the Joe Jr before the the MM was out.   Ace hardware had them for $365, but SWMBO said know so I got a Kahuna for $200.  It's ok, but doesn't come close to ether the MM or the Joe Jr.  I would like a small or a medium myself, but that will be waiting for awhile.

If you want it to be mobile and not get knocked over that easily I would go with the MM. 
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,360
    Options
    Lit said:
    Photo Egg said:
    DieselkW said:
    I think the majority of egg dealers are asking for parts back now. I had never been asked in the past and last week I got a replacement fire ring for my MM and they said I needed the cracked ring. I drove to the mothership and showed them the pic and they gave me a new one. This may be a distributor requirement.
    I read so many posts where someone gets a crack in something and goes ahead and gets a replacement part and then just sticks it in the closet until they "really need it".

Perhaps HQ is wising.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Options
    ^^^^^ +1 on the stand.

If you want to do the test yourself then find the coefficient of thermal conductivity of each ceramic, use a smokeware cap on each for consistency (also you can assume the same heat lost therefore you can do less work), calculate the surface area of the ceramic, put them in a temperature controlled environment, add the exact same amount of heat to each, measure the temperature of the inside of the surface of the ceramic in several places and the outside temperature of the ceramic corresponding to the inside sample point. 

use the formula Q=lamda*surface area*delta temperature/thickness of the material for the ceramic.  Average your ceramic heat loss and voila you have a comparison of the two.  Still not without its problems but it should give you a general idea.  you could just use a representative segment of the surface area as well as long as it is the same on both and in the same general area, such as a 10*10 cm area and just compare those. 

for my money i would say they are near identical ceramic wise and the difference is weight is due to the fact that they have different dimensions throughout their whole profile
    Mine was a $400 difference 
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    tonyled said:
    Yes they do. Firmly. 
  • Eggzellent
    Eggzellent Posts: 238
    Options
    ^^^^^ +1 on the stand.

No reason to become offensive pal.  I was asking a question to see if you indeed noted that correctly.  Hey, it's cool.  Go Green!  
    Sorry, not biting ;) ..nothing offensive there ^ and we both know it.
    You've got 5,600 posts..I've got a few..2nd accusation in as many days from a 'veteran' that I'm somehow out of line for simply speaking the truth?..forget it.

Have fun.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Lit said:
    Photo Egg said:
    DieselkW said:
    I read so many posts where someone gets a crack in something and goes ahead and gets a replacement part and then just sticks it in the closet until they "really need it".

Perhaps HQ is wising.
    I normally wait till my ring has 2 cracks to get a new one but this was my MM and I wanted the new ring and wanted to keep the old one so I drove 30 minutes to HQ. HQ is the easiest place ever to get replacements they don't ask where you got it or anything just show them a pic and you get a new one. The guys in the store can only authorize replacement internal parts though I had to go to Bruce when the bases cracked.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I got a KJ Jr, just because it was a deal I couldn't pass up ($331 or so)
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1174378/ace-hardware-deal-online-today-only

It's a good little cooker, I highly recommend a Hi-Que for it, the factory fire grate is a bad design, clogs easily.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    ^^^^^ +1 on the stand.

Sorry, not biting ;) ..nothing offensive there ^ and we both know it.
    You've got 5,600 posts..I've got a few..2nd accusation in as many days from a 'veteran' that I'm somehow out of line for simply speaking the truth?..forget it.

Have fun.
    Posts have nothing to do with it.  I was asking a question for clarification.  My apologies my friend. 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,180
    Options
    WTH!  This is a BGE forum?  Dang.  Sorry guys, thought it was a weber forum.  I'm out.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin