Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

help.....gonna attempt first pulled pork!!

mikeb6109
mikeb6109 Posts: 2,067
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
ok this is easy all i want is more complete details on doing my first pulled pork this weekend. what kinda pork,seasonning,duration,set up you knmow the whole ballpark! but looking for an easy step by step instructions,cause i am a newbie 2 months to be exact!!! also living here in canada so stuff is not that available here . actually went to the super store grocery store and did not seem to be able to find anything ressembling a pork piece like on the pics in the forums! so please help???
mike

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    mikeb6109,
    in the recipe section above, elder wards north carolina styled pulled pork, has everything from fire building to rubs sauces and sides. you want to cook yours at 250 dome with his setup. make sure to print parts 3 and 4 as well

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    mikeb6109,
    Hope this helps.[p][p]Bordello

[ul][li]Dizzy Pig[/ul]
  • Mike,[p]I would recommend downloading the following cookbook from the Naked Whiz web site. It is one of the most useful cookbooks I found when I first got my egg (still is), and there is a write-up beginning on page 50 written by Elder Ward that describes in great detail how to cook pulled pork, including the process, rubs, sauces, etc.[p]http://www.nakedwhiz.com/WiseOneRecipes.pdf[p]The simple description of the process is to get a pork shoulder from your butcher or grocery store (most commonly called a boston butt, and it has nothing to do with the rear of the pig); I like to get one with the bone in for extra flavor. To cook it usually takes me between 1.5-2 hours per pound of meet (cooking at 225-250), so if you want to do an overnight cook then you'll want at least a 5-6 pound piece, although I usually go with larger if I can.[p]Pick a rub (the one in the above mentioned write-up is good) and apply it liberally to the meat well in advance, then wrap in saran wrap and stick in the fridge.[p]Make sure the egg doesn't have much ash and small pieces in it and build a big fire using big pieces, surrounding by consecutively smaller pieces to ensure a clean burn. You'll find there are very strong opinions about the right way to do this, including a very detailed approach in Ward's write-up.[p]Add some chunks of hickory, light the fire and get it to about 200 deg. Put in the platesetter and the grid; I always put a disposable alum drip pan underneath the grid on the platesetter to catch the drippings. [p]Put the meat on and insert a meat thermometer, setting the alarm (if you have one) to 195 deg. Make sure the temp stays at 225-250 for the majority of the time, and avoid all temptation to open it![p]Once the temp of the meat reacher 195 or 200, pull it off and wrap it in alum foil. If you're not going to eat it soon, put the foil-wrapped pork in a cooler with a towel or 2 wrapped around it. [p]When you're ready to eat, take a few forks (again, many different opinions here) and pull apart the meat, which will shred easily. Add your favorite sauce and throw the meat on a cheap white bread roll or eat it by itself. [p]Good luck! Cheers, Jonny
    [ul][li]Wise One Recipes cookbook from Naked Whiz web site[/ul]
  • bw
    bw Posts: 87
    mikeb6109,
    We did our first pulled pork a couple of weeks ago and it turned out terrific. I bought 2 8lb boston butts with bone in, they cooked for about 22hrs, and we followed the recipe found on the Naked Whiz site (Elder N. Carolina way)we had no trouble at all with fire going out we don't even have a guru. This link has all the step by step you could possible need. http://www.nakedwhiz.com/elder.htm[p]Good luck

• bw
    Actually I think we got 2 8lb pork shoulders w/ bone..
  • Grillicious
    Grillicious Posts: 347
    bw, 22hrs seems awfully long. Cooking time based on the largest piece, 8lbs, at 2 hrs per lb would be 16hrs. I know most cooks go over the estimated time, but that's 6 hrs over. Was it dry at all? You're right about Elder Ward's step-by-step on the Whiz's site. Can't go wrong following that. I just did a 6.4lb butt last Saturday and it was 195* at 12 hrs.

• bw
    Grillicious,[p]They turned out perfect. We cooked both butts and both were moist and delicious. This is a post we posted on the .net forum which does not show here at .com forum. See what you think...[p]http://www.biggreenegg.net/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=191204&catid=1

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    bw,[p]Those look just right to me. [p]Quoting from your post:The probe must be cleaned in a proper antiseptic solution, preferably a bourbon for pork. The chef should consume the remainder before continuing. May want to clean it twice, before you put these on [p]This is a good tip. I usually do something similar, but skip the probe cleaning. Making sure your body's liquid level is adequate is very important when barbecuing.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Topo Gigio
    Topo Gigio Posts: 98
    mikeb6109, I live in Canada also and have no problems getting any ingredients for pulled pork. For the pork piece, go to a butcher and ask him for the butt section of the pork shoulder (the other section is called the picnic or blade which can also be used for pulled pork). Grocery stores usually carry pork butt cut into smaller pieces during pork season (January'ish).[p]
  • jimmy
    jimmy Posts: 34
    On my xl egg I can easily fit two 14lb shoulders. I get the egg fired up and stablized at 180-200 degrees and cook for 24 hrs. The meat is very moist and pulls apart very easily. I have done this twice. The second time I did have a bit of a problem keeping the temp steady. I started the meat at noon. At 11 pm it was still at a steady 190. The next am at 7 AM it was at 250. I feared it may have ruined the meat but it came out great. I have had my egg since last November and it is awesome!