Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Table Egging

So purchased a large egg and I'm building by table, installing my granite top next week.  I haven't put the egg together yet so maybe it would be best to install the granite top, then the bottom half of the egg for weight concerns, and build the rest of the egg in the table?

Also, I've seen many topics on this but am just looking for confirmation.  I have a 21" hole in my granite top and am using a table nest.  The granite that the nest will be sitting on will be just about flush with the shelf.  I'm thinking the height should be 16.5" from shelf to granite top?

Thanks!

Comments

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Bump for you. Someone will chime in. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• castironman
    castironman Posts: 34
    edited April 2016
    Hello @matthewvienne ...
    I recently put my Large into a table. I did not build the table myself, but its a basic design. I find the Table Nest brings the egg base 2" off the shelf.  My table TOP is 15" from the TOP of the shelf. You want to be sure to leave room for the hinge above the table top. The hole is 21" . Seems rather perfect fit to me and does seem to follow other popular table plan "standards" for a Large Egg. 

Since you havent yet built the egg (your willpower is greater than mine!) might as well do it after table install if you can wait that long.

Reassembly of the bands I think is the biggest consideration.  I fully disassembled my egg, including taking off the dome and bands, and was able to lift the base up and into the table nest by myself.  I'd recommend some no skid style gloves and save the beer for afterwards. I further justified this approach by installing a new gasket at the same time. 

If you can get a buddy to help, then by all means do so - cook them a meal, pour them a drink, and enjoy.

best of luck!

It's like a cross between a hurricane and a ship that's run aground