Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pizza dough

Options
RaySMS
RaySMS Posts: 42
I am using for learning the pizza dough from Walmart but I hear some make their own dough and are using 00 flour.

Can anyone tell me why 00 flour is better and do you have a recipe for making the dough I would like to try making some.

Thanks in advance.

Ray

Comments

• SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    Options
    Here is what I use.  I just substitute the 00 flour for the bread flour. I then cut the dough ball into 4 equal (by weight) dough balls.  Makes 4  approximate 12" crusts.  The key for me has been weighing the ingredients.  Bought a cheap digital kitchen scale.  Much more consistent results.

Ingredients

22.5 ounces (about 4 1/2 cups) bread flour, plus more for dusting
    .5 ounces (about 1 1/2 tablespoons) sugar
    .35 ounces kosher salt (about 1 tablespoon)
    .35 ounces (about 2 teaspoons) instant yeast
    1.125 ounces Extra Virgin olive oil (about 3 tablespoons)
    15 ounces lukewarm water
    Procedures

Combine flour, sugar, salt, and yeast in bowl of food processor. Pulse 3 to 4 times until incorporated. Add olive oil and water. Run food processor until mixture forms ball that rides around the bowl above the blade, about 15 seconds. Continue processing 15 seconds longer.

Transfer dough ball to lightly floured surface and knead once or twice by hand until smooth ball is formed. It should pass the windowpane test. Divide dough into three even parts and place each in a covered quart-sized deli container or in a zipper-lock freezer bag. Place in refrigerator and allow to rise at least 1 day, and up to 5. Remove from refrigerator, shape into balls, and allow to rest at room temperature for at least 2 hours before baking.
    XL BGE
  • RaySMS
    RaySMS Posts: 42
    Options
    Wow that is pretty good thanks for the information.  I will print or write it down thanks again SPRIGS.

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

My recipes are similar to Sprigs.

I weigh flour and liquid, but not the other ingredients.

Funny you would ask about the 00 flour.  I have a bag that just arrived from Amazon that I have yet to try.  Also ordered some gluton.  They say add a tablespoon to make the dough more workable.
    Phoenix 
  • flyerdoc
    flyerdoc Posts: 141
    Options
    @SPRIGS thanks for the details I am going to try this today...nothing like homemade dough!
  • beerguy
    beerguy Posts: 116
    Options
    It would appear the recipe SPRIGS listed above came directly from J. Kenji López-Alt; the Managing Culinary Director of Serious Eats, and author of the James Beard Award-nominated column The Food Lab. Check it out here: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/07/basic-new-york-style-pizza-dough.html