Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What goes on a Hot Dog?

Options
13»

Comments

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    Thanks chief
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Mustard with sweet relish and onions no ketchup!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Bustersdad
    Bustersdad Posts: 311
    Options
    Mustard & diced onions
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Buncha snobs. Come to my house and you will eat ketchup on your dog and you WILL like it dammit. Same goes for steak. 

Little Rock, AR

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Years ago my wife and I were celebrating a mile marker anniversary at the top steakhouse here in Peoria named Jim's. Seated 3 tables away was a local prominent defense attorney who had the reputation of getting anybody off.  Well, anyway one of the specialties of this steakhouse was their to die for prime rib. Both he and his wife ordered them and when served steaming hot the lawyer asked for a bottle of catsup! His wife screamed at the top of her drunken lungs G*D D*MN IT, YOU'RE NOT PUTTING THAT F*CKIN CATSUP ON THAT MEAT!!! He did anyway when the waiter came back and she stormed out of there.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Mrs. Aaron Rodgers prefers mustard:
    http://youtu.be/Bt6TF-DsZXU

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Ketchup, mustard, diced white onions, and sweet relish
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I once actually had a date with a woman who was also guaranteed to get anyone off. 

Worth every penny

ah. Good ol' what's-her-name!
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    NK 11 No Ketchup for people over 11 years of age!!!
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Beans...
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Acn said:
    Mrs. Aaron Rodgers prefers mustard:
    http://youtu.be/Bt6TF-DsZXU

Damn..  Thought she was a little cocky at first with the string, but she discount double checked it pretty damn good.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    Mustard with sweet relish and onions no ketchup!
    Agreed!  This and only this.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Yellow mustard, kraut, chopped onions.   Ketchup is loaded with sugar. Blech!
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Yellow mustard and diced Serrano.  Bring a little heat!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Chili, cheese and mustard. 
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Theophan said:
    In my own experience, kids always prefer ketchup, and I did when I was a boy, but for some reason, most people seem to switch to mustard when they're adults.  I don't want ketchup on my hot dog, and if there's just one condiment, it'll be mustard.

But like many others above, I almost always prefer LOTS of stuff on hot dogs!  I grew up in Flint, Michigan, though I haven't lived there for several decades, and I love a Flint Coney Island, which has an unusual, local-to-Flint-only chili that's mild and rather dry, usually served with chopped onions and mustard.  But when I lived in Philly for many years, I came to love hot dogs out of the carts with sauerkraut and/or onions cooked with just a tiny bit of BBQ sauce to give them color and a hint of sweetness.  I make those myself, sometimes.  And I've seen millions of complicated stuff that all sounds wonderful.

But for the OP's original question, for me it'd be mustard.

-

My dad is from Allen Park and we would get chili cheese dogs about once a month lol. 
  • Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    I'm going to try to compile this data, maybe early next week.    I'm glad to see that mustard (of all kinds) appears to be about a 3:1 favorite.   or better.
  • eggingitup
    Options
    Hot dogs are nasty if you understand how it was made, but so what! It is just so good when properly eaten. I personally rather chili without beans, red onion, and sharp cheddar toasted dog. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Finely shredded mild cheddar cheese piled high over chili, onions and..........MUSTARD!
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I always wondered what mild cheddar was for and who buys it.
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Me and skyline.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    @YukonRon That explains it!  I used to work for a guy that grew up on cinci chili and bragged on it all the time.  I finally tried some a few years back and realized it's probably one of those things you had to grow up with.  Not bad, just different and nostalgic I suppose.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    One of the best dogs I ever had... No beef chili on hand, but I did have some pulled pork. =) Pearl dogs, Gulden's spicy brown mustard, pulled pork... and BOMBA! On a buttered and grilled split top. I can't eat this kind of junk any more,,, but man, it's oh so tasty!

Shown with standard size bun for scale. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• YukonRon
    Options
    Legume said:
    @YukonRon That explains it!  I used to work for a guy that grew up on cinci chili and bragged on it all the time.  I finally tried some a few years back and realized it's probably one of those things you had to grow up with.  Not bad, just different and nostalgic I suppose.
    I hate the stuff. Children like it, so whenever they are moaning for Skyline, I just get a couple cheese coneys.
    I started making brisket chili at home and I shred the cheese when I make them here. Way, way better.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • DGarner211
    Options
    Mustard only.  Get ketchup near my dog and it's a good way to lose a finger.
    Powder Springs, GA
  • Z_Eggineer
    Z_Eggineer Posts: 576
    Options
    NOT ketchup or mayonnaise
  • Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    Hot dogs are nasty if you understand how it was made, but so what! It is just so good when properly eaten. I personally rather chili without beans, red onion, and sharp cheddar toasted dog. 
    Yes, ALL the sausage products are a little dicey.

My Spanish Speaking Roofers wanted to know if I like Chorizo and all I said was 'Carne Mysterioso' = 'Mystery Meat'.    they cracked up.    

I won't go the Chorizo OR Spam route unless near starvation.