Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermapen Protection

Options
1move
1move Posts: 516
edited April 2016 in EggHead Forum
The thermapen being such a pricy tool does anyone use a protective cover for it or anything of that nature? I am looking at getting one possibly and thinking of protecting my investment somehow but not much out there. 

Just came across this guy any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

http://www.stlbbqstore.com/thermoworks-magnetic-glow-protective-boot-for-thermapen-mk4/

XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ

Comments

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Thermapen makes a thick silicone cover, check their website. 
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    Options
    @1move,  I don't really think its worth the effort. I have a couple thermapens that have been dropped, frozen to -40, left in the rain, used and slightly abused with no loss of performance. Great product with excellent reliability in my opinion.
    Sudbury, Ontario
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    haha, T-works product is the same item. For $8 instead of $12.
    http://thermoworks.com/products/accessories/

I have their $18 "Leather Wallet" that they sent me at no charge when I once did them a favor. It's very nice and is where my T-pen lives when not in use.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    I have this. I like it a lot, it glows too which comes in handy at times.
  • lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    Options
    stompbox said:
    SoCalTim said:
    I have this. I like it a lot, it glows too which comes in handy at times.
    I too have the Thermapen condom, its got a couple of magnets as well, to it is always right on the fridge in my kitchen.
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    Currently do not have one but I have been thinking about it. Not big bucks either. I'll pull the trigger one of these days. 
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I used to have to protect mine from Wilma.  Then I bought another one.
    Flint, Michigan
  • RiverDoc
    RiverDoc Posts: 572
    Options
    -Todd
    Franklin N.C. LBGE and a SBGE
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    @RiverDoc  I want to see your holsters for CHL. Did you make that?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited April 2016
    Options
    1move said:
    The thermapen being such a pricy tool does anyone use a protective cover for it or anything of that nature? I am looking at getting one possibly and thinking of protecting my investment somehow but not much out there. 

Just came across this guy any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

http://www.stlbbqstore.com/thermoworks-magnetic-glow-protective-boot-for-thermapen-mk4/

I have one of those. I bought it for the magnet not the protection.  Works great though.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • 1move
    Options
    haha, T-works product is the same item. For $8 instead of $12.
    http://thermoworks.com/products/accessories/

I have their $18 "Leather Wallet" that they sent me at no charge when I once did them a favor. It's very nice and is where my T-pen lives when not in use.

Thanks, however I was looking at the MK4 version which is $11 on their website. Either way from what everyone is describing it isn't necessary.
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    I have a zippered pouch that I store it when not in use. 
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Kydex, now that's hardcore. 

I keep mine in my pocket, unprotected.  Got a case for free from Thermaworks on my Gen 1 TP.  It only gets used when travelling.

A Magnum would work, easy cleanup, disposable. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    Focker said:
    Kydex, now that's hardcore. 

I keep mine in my pocket, unprotected.  Got a case for free from Thermaworks on my Gen 1 TP.  It only gets used when travelling.

A Magnum would work, easy cleanup, disposable. 
    You talking about this magnum @Focker?

• 1move
    Options
    Guys it's not Friday yet!!! :) I was actually going to use it in the title but figured people would get the wrong idea hahaha
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    edited April 2016
    Options
    actually we have several engineers wandering around here...maybe they have a few spare plastic shirt pocket protectors that they could just give you to save you the cost. =)
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I see no need. Pull it out of drawer, use it, put it back in the drawer Inside. Done and free. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    We have two, one wears the boot, the other runs necked.  The one that runs necked (purchased from Molly Shark) has been sent back once to be cleaned.   The booted one has never had a problem and it is the one that is usually packed for fest. 
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • RiverDoc
    RiverDoc Posts: 572
    Options
    @Mickey one of the guys from work made this PM if you want details they do Duty  and CCW. This is for a modular BBQ belt just for fun
    -Todd
    Franklin N.C. LBGE and a SBGE