Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Picture This - Cooking Collage for Dining Room

Options
jfm0830
jfm0830 Posts: 987
edited March 2016 in EggHead Forum
I have long wanted to put up a collage of some of my favorite food photos, but I didn't want framed pictures. I wanted something that looked like just the picture. A company called Fracture has a product that served my needs perfectly. Fracture allows you to upload your images and they have a process where the image is printed on the back of a thin sheet of glass, like the first photographs in the early days of photography. Then a slightly smaller thin sheet of black matting is adhered to the back of the photo. The effect is very striking. The thin glass and "invisible" matting make it look like the images are simply floating just off the wall.

The photos come in various rectangular and square sizes. The square sizes are intended to accommodate the square format used on Instagram. The sizes were 5x5", 11x11" and 23x23" and using a 1" margin between smaller photos, they matched the next size up. 2@5x5 + 1" =11", 2@11x11 + 1" = 23". I used it to be able to create a modular collage where pieces could be rearranged to create different affects. My intent over time is to swap in some new future images. 

I located the collage on a large blank wall in my Living Room You can see this wall and the collage whether you enter via the Kitchen door or Living Room door. It usually helps set the mood for people coming over to share a meal.

The view from my Living Room door when entering my house.

The view from my Kitchen door when entering the house.

I am very happy with how the collage turned out, it looks better than I hoped for.

Jim
3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.

Comments

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Very nice.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,055
    Options
    Nice wall o' food you got there!  B)
  • Eggscuses
    Eggscuses Posts: 399
    Options
    Get a big fork and knife and hang on the sides.
  • jfm0830
    Options
    Thanks for looking and commenting guys. I did't mention it but all but a couple of those photos were items made on my Egg. Everything was cooked outdoors.

Eggscuses said:
    Get a big fork and knife and hang on the sides.
    Funny you should say that. One of my guests came into the Kitchen holding the burger picture from the lower right side and said he chipped his tooth trying to eat my burger.

Jim
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    How are the images attached to the wall?
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Pretty neat. 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Nicely done.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    Options
    Sundown said:
    And did you attach it as one piece? Or did you have to hang 40+ pieces, if so that is an amazing job of keeping that all straight.
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I have been looking for something similar for outdoor use. I don't want an enclosed exterior frame......but something that can handle the rain and humidity. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • jfm0830
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Thanks for the additional comments. Some additional pictures and answers below. 

Sundown said:
    The black mounting material behind the picture has a keyhole in it that receives a round head screw that is drilled into the wall. See below. You can also order these with a kickstand type mount for placing on a counter top or shelves.

ibanda said:

And did you attach it as one piece? Or did you have to hang 40+ pieces, if so that is an amazing job of keeping that all straight.
    I had to hang 40+ pictures, but I had help. I did a full sized mock-up in my Architectural CAD software that I used to finalize the arrangement of the various sized photos. I was also able to bring in the actual photos I was going to use and print them out at life size and scaled down versions. I was able to turn the photos layer off and use the file as a template. I was able to display the screw holes on a separate layer. I plotted this version of the file out at life size and taped it up on the wall in the exact location where the collage was going. I used this template to drill the holes for the round head screws. See below. I also made a shim that I placed under the screw heads to stop the screws at a consistent and proper depth. 

I have been looking for something similar for outdoor use. I don't want an enclosed exterior frame......but something that can handle the rain and humidity. 
    I don't believe these are suitable for outdoor use.

Jim
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Quite a spread there, I think you should number them so people can order more easily.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Very impressive! Can I borrow you for a bit? Moved into our house 7 years ago,  and still haven't hung all of our pictures up. 

Have you thought of placing a larger pic of your eggdom (bottom row) in the center? 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • northGAcock
    Options
    jfm0830 said:
    Thanks for the additional comments. Some additional pictures and answers below. 

Sundown said:
    The black mounting material behind the picture has a keyhole in it that receives a round head screw that is drilled into the wall. See below. You can also order these with a kickstand type mount for placing on a counter top or shelves.

ibanda said:

I had to hang 40+ pictures, but I had help. I did a full sized mock-up in my Architectural CAD software that I used to finalize the arrangement of the various sized photos. I was also able to bring in the actual photos I was going to use and print them out at life size and scaled down versions. I was able to turn the photos layer off and use the file as a template. I was able to display the screw holes on a separate layer. I plotted this version of the file out at life size and taped it up on the wall in the exact location where the collage was going. I used this template to drill the holes for the round head screws. See below. I also made a shim that I placed under the screw heads to stop the screws at a consistent and proper depth. 

I don't believe these are suitable for outdoor use.

Jim
    Agree.....but looking for something just the same. Neat concept.

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Wow!  That whole project is impressive. I could use you around the house as well. 
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Looks like the wall behind the counter at my local chinese restaurant. 

Nice plan and execution.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• jfm0830
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Thanks guys. 

@northGAcock  I wasn't trying to discourage you, just saying this particular product is not made for that. Whatever you end up doing will probably need to use some special glass to protect the images from UV light.

@caliking This may sound like sacrilege, but the Egg,  while important, is not the key element here. The end product is the food. I debated whether or not to even include a picture of the Eggs. I decided that the only grill I could have made all of these on was an Egg (or other Kamado), so it rated a picture.

Jim

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    I'd much rather look at someone else's cooks than their kids school pictures hanging on the wall. Maybe that's just me
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • northGAcock
    Options
    jfm0830 said:
    Thanks guys. 

@northGAcock  I wasn't trying to discourage you, just saying this particular product is not made for that. Whatever you end up doing will probably need to use some special glass to protect the images from UV light.

Wasn't taken as discouragement......sometimes others read and identify solutions. We are good.