Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New table, refinish pending

Options
I got this table from a friend who was moving and couldn't take it with him.  It looked fantastic new, but it was pretty worn, unfinished and needed some TLC.  It still looked great but I decided to sand and finish the entire table.  Here is what it looked like new:

Powder Springs, GA

Comments

• DGarner211
    Options
    Sanding:

Powder Springs, GA
  • DGarner211
    Options
    Cleaning:

Powder Springs, GA
  • DGarner211
    Options
    I'll update as I go along.  Stain next after it dries up a bit, then urethane finish.
    Powder Springs, GA
  • geronimo
    geronimo Posts: 41
    Options
    Very nice!!!  The weathered look means that the table was well used and the Egg which sat there had done a good job!  Very nice of your friend to leave you that table.  Research and think about what you want to do to it (bottle opener, shelves, cabinets, re-finish) and then make it happen.  Your friend will be proud that his table will be improved upon, taken care of and put to good use!

• DGarner211
    Options
    I already have the bottle openers and hooks for utensils.  I am considering cabinetry, but I actually have a deck box on my porch that keeps everything dry and cobweb free, so I'll probably stick with that.

What I'm really thinking about is re-topping it and getting a 2nd LBGE  =)
    Powder Springs, GA
  • DGarner211
    Options
    1st (and likely last) coat of stain:

Before/after:

Powder Springs, GA
  • DGarner211
    Options
    Stain finished -- sorry for the bad lighting.  2 coats of urethane go on tomorrow (Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane).

Powder Springs, GA
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,746
    Options
    Looks great. Awesome job.
    Stillwater, MN
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Going to look great!

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• DGarner211
    Options
    Thanks!  It still isn't completely dry, so I'm having to punt the urethane outer coats until Tuesday and Thursday.  I hope to have her dry by the weekend so I can put it back out on the deck and get the egg installed.
    Powder Springs, GA
  • DGarner211
    Options
    1st coat of urethane. 

Powder Springs, GA
  • DGarner211
    Options
    Fin. 

Powder Springs, GA
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    You did well
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Looks great! Congratulations on the sweet table.

One thing you might think about (especially since you have it on a wooden deck) is enlarging the opening around the egg. I scored a free table a couple of years ago too and my table had some cryophoric charring with a gap that small. I enlarged my openings with hopes of alleviating the issue and so far it's relieved a lot of the high temps transmission to the wood table. I also coated the inside of my openings with silicone caulk.

One day, I'll have an outdoor kitchen that keeps my eggs off the deck. This photo is what it looked like after I took the jigsaw to it. I now have about a 5/8" gap and I still wish I had more. I'm searching for a stainless table every day on Craigslist so I can get rid of the wood one. Until then, I'll use my eggs in a nest for high heat cooks.

Edit: my table is for L and L. The rest of my eggs are in a nest or stainless table. I had the SBGE downstairs during a kitchen remodel shown in the picture. We had to live in the basement for 4 months. 

L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • DGarner211
    Options
    Yeah, minniemoh, I wish this one had more space.  It actually has some char marks where the bottom vent/screen is located, so I moved the tile forward some to hopefully catch those.  It does have a good half inch of air around the entire exterior of the egg though, so I'm hoping it won't create any issues.  I never do the "set it and go to the mall" thing, so I'm always here when it's hot. Still, for overnight cooks, some peace of mind would be nice.

The biggest thing I worry about with it on the deck, table or no table, is a catastrophic meltdown.  If that thing ever busts, I'm going to have some serious problems.
    Powder Springs, GA