Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey advice needed - Spatchcock or leave whole?

gmac
gmac Posts: 1,814
I have done lots of chickens, usually raised direct and I normally spatchcock them. But I am doing a turkey tomorrow that is about 14-15 lbs and I am unsure if I should flatten it out or not. It's in a brine right now. Just not sure how long to put it on for and if It will make a big difference in the cooking time. 

Not it even sure if the bird would fit on my large if it's flattened out.
Thanks in advance and I will try to remember to take some pictures tomorrow. 

Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I do lots of turkeys and always do like this
    Spatchcocked Turkey and Chicken on the Big Green Egg

(you cut out the backbone and cook opened)

I like a 11/12 lb bird. If I need lots of turkey I just cook a couple ( 1 & 1/2  hr cook app)

Chicken 3 to 4.5lb bird or birds. Under an hour cook. 

Or, just add a package of legs extra. 

I do not brine the turkey or Chicken. You can.

If time I like to leave uncovered in the fridge overnight (no problem if no time) 

I cook "direct" @ 400 on a raised grill "skin side up" and never turn over.

I will use a coffee rub. Use what you like.

NOTE PLEASE (A LOT OF SMOKE IS NOT YOU FRIEND)

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• gmac
    edited March 2016
    I may do the coffee rub too. Forgot about that. You sent me the recipe back in 2013 but I still have it. Thx. 
    Oh and for poultry I usually don't even add smoking chips, just good clean hardwood charcoal seems to give me enough smoke. 
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Mickey said:
    I do lots of turkeys and always do like this
    Spatchcocked Turkey and Chicken on the Big Green Egg

(you cut out the backbone and cook opened)

I like a 11/12 lb bird. If I need lots of turkey I just cook a couple ( 1 & 1/2  hr cook app)

Chicken 3 to 4.5lb bird or birds. Under an hour cook. 

Or, just add a package of legs extra. 

I do not brine the turkey or Chicken. You can.

If time I like to leave uncovered in the fridge overnight (no problem if no time) 

I cook "direct" @ 400 on a raised grill "skin side up" and never turn over.

I will use a coffee rub. Use what you like.

NOTE PLEASE (A LOT OF SMOKE IS NOT YOU FRIEND)

All of the above has worked for me every time.

I have a medium egg and a spatched 13lb bird won't fit.

I have a roasting kind of setup, indirect @350, drip pan for gravy goop.

I use some bootleggers coffee rub recipe that I found close by on this site and it goes on/with everything!!! Thanks!

Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• Debone the ribcage and lay like a spatch. I like to leave the leg and wing bones in.
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    I would do a spatch - It cooks more evenly and quickly. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Mickey
    I ask long ago and now can't remember. 
    How did you come
    by your handle: gmac?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,741
    There's a lot of right answers for turkey. I've done raised direct and indirect from 325-425 degrees and all have been great. The only common thread is Micky's coffee rub, which is our go-to for poultry.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Mickey
    There's a lot of right answers for turkey. I've done raised direct and indirect from 325-425 degrees and all have been great. The only common thread is Micky's coffee rub, which is our go-to for poultry.
    Buy some top of the line sirloin and try it. 

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,741
    Just realized I didn't answer the question. I like spatchcock, but not sure I've ever done a 15 pounder.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Spatched works just fine, tomorrow doing a kinda Mad Max version, except for icing the breasts - will simply cook breast side down for an hour, then up for an hour, indirect at 350ºish. Brined bird is in the fridge air drying until showtime. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • gmac
    Mickey said:
    I ask long ago and now can't remember. 
    How did you come
    by your handle: gmac?
    Nothing weird, full name is Graham McGregor. 
  • Anyone care to share the recipe for the coffee rub please and thank you..?
  • noregard
    noregard Posts: 306
    @gmac I spatched a 15.75lb turkey on my Large onetime.  Unfortunately my notes from that day are lacking much details, if I remember right it was took approx 2.5 hours??  That's really a guess though, I don't even have if I cooked it direct/undirect, or what temp.  Sorry.

@MangoMadness here's a link to the Mickeys coffee rub recipe.  It's great on pretty much anything as far as I can tell.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1157211/coffee-rub/p1
    Lethbridge, Alberta         LBGE & MM
  • gmac
    In progress picture 
    Surrounded by sweet potatoes 
  • gmac
    Final product
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    Great result right there.  Congrats on the cook.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.