Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tips on cooking a ham

Options
ok Y'all, cooking a ham tomorrow for Easter and looking for some tips on the actual cooking times and temps. Thanks!

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,087
    Options
    Heat to 140 IT, cooking temp ~240 indirect.

Time depends on size.  Can wrap part way though to keep moisture, then unwrap and glaze above 300 for final 30 minutes.  Add glaze evey 5-10 minutes.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Logger
    Logger Posts: 309
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I put an 11 lb spiral sliced ham flat side down over a water pan and cooked at 225° using the FlameBoss 200 for about 5 hours to get to what @Ozzie_Isaac said.  I like a little char on the outside so I went to 250° today for a friend that's going to reheat tomorrow.  Turned out awesome. Used Apple and Cherry...very moist.  We just had to sample some of the first slice.

OKC area  XL - Medium Eggs
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options

NAKED HAM / SMOKE ONLY

Let me start that for the first 6 years i have only cooked Egerts Ham (this is an outstanding ham Egged on the BGE). 

Several years ago went looking for (did not know this at the time) a naked ham / smoke only.  Looking at other ways to do a ham w/o the burbon, maple syrup, brown sugar, NO ANYTHING. Guys this was outstanding ham. It tasted like ham. It was a 7 lb Cooks ham (shank) and NOTHING was put on it (Nothing). Just smoke: lots of Sugar Maple. Cooked at 300 till 135. I did score the ham deep. Cooked indirect.

New item: just did spiral ham and turned out fine. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• ArbitraryHubris
    Options
    I cooked one naked today with apple wood.  Well, mostly naked.  I studded it with cloves.  I just love that flavor with ham.  It turned out beautifully.
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    staying tuned for the final pics

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Scotbradly725
    Options
    Came out amazing. 300 indirect for 4hrs to it of 140. Wrap and rest 1/2 hr.