Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Table Top Finish (Restoration) Options?

Options
I recently acquired a gently used egg table. Looking to whip it into shape.

It is unfinished PT pine and has some grease stains on the top. Looks like a pork butt drip pan spill. Otherwise the wood is basically in new condition.

I have leftover deck stain (Cabot Timber Oil) I was thinking to use to protect and darken to match my deck. However, I'm thinking the stain oil probably will not penetrate the grease area very well without some proper preparation.

1.  ... Is it possible (or worth it) to remove or minimize the current grease stains?
I had thought to replace the 2 or 3 planks on the top and move on with the finishing.
OR ... mount a slab of granite over that area.

2.  ... Cabot Australian Timber Oil.... bad idea? - or alternative?

The table does not need to be a glossy, spotless, and showroom finish.
It will be kept under standard grill cover, mostly in the shade.

Thanks!

It's like a cross between a hurricane and a ship that's run aground

Comments

• poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    what climate are you in? if you can easily afford the granite, do that. Its a much more user friendly surface and you can forget about it forever. I made mine out of cedar and it looks like crap after 1 year. I'm trying to decide what to cover it with, but I don't spend the big bucks on granite
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    SS wrap overlay, granite, tiled  or a poured concrete top.  
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • castironman
    castironman Posts: 34
    edited March 2016
    Options
    ok so lets say I get the grease as minimized as possible without replacing any wood and without resurfacing with stone.  I dont expect a pristine table from this project - but hell - it has to look sanitary, be functional, and be able to withstand some degree of abuse.  I consider it a beginner table...lol

I'm thinking a dark stain would hide it or at least blend in the current blemishes and possibly minimize the contrast of future spills and such.

What WOOD surface application stain or sealer is best suited to protect from spills, sparks, hot daisy wheels and grids, slammed beer bottles, rain, falling pinecones and the like?

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Paint doesn't stick to PT lumber very well, unless it's that kiln dried stuff.  I'd put a new top on it. 
    Options

I 2nd new top

Apollo Beach, FL
  • castironman
    Options
    The advice is valued. Thank you.  But, the table isnt worth the type of investment right now to put on a proper stone top. When that time comes, i'll do it right (trust me).

At this point I just want to protect against further unsightly damage.

I see a ton of pics of Egg tables that have wood tops. What are folks using to prepare the wood on these grill tables????  

I'm left to assume standard backyard deck waterproofer/stain is the best option .. and just deal with grease and scuff marks - or get better at making less mess.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Give it a quick sanding, put some opaque sealer on it and you'll be good for a year or so until you figure out what you want to do.
    @nolaegghead ... well put.

So heres an update:
    I cleaned up most of the grease using Dawn dish detergent and a stiff bristle brush. ... Let it fully dry and then went after it with the sanding.

Sealer/Stain still drying ...

Should rename the post.."Elbow Grease vs Pork Grease"!
  • swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    Options
    I think you saved some $$ there, nice work
    LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • MrO
    MrO Posts: 1
    Options
    What did you end up using for the sealer?  
  • Dfoshee
    Dfoshee Posts: 191
    Options
    That's awesome. I was going to suggest Wd40 but I learned something today. 
    Lbge. Maverick 733, ss top, 30" fire pit, gas grill, small charcoal grill, electric smoker, 65 qt yeti, 35 qt yeti.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Put this on... 

Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options
    that a boy Hennie

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• castironman
    Options
    @MrO - Cabot Australian Timber Oil for the base and Cabot Gold Seal for the top. I had these left over from other projects. I haven't reassembled it yet, so I cant report on the durability.

Should you decide to go with @henapple approach, I would suggest Latex!
  • castironman
    Options
    Durability report ...  15 minutes after putting the table in place, I got hit with a fly by!  It wiped right off (and I sanitized with a little kitchen bleach spray for good measure).  I take it this is considered a sign of good luck.