Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long will unopened bags of decent lump stay "fresh" in garage ??

Options
I am waiting for RO to come on sale at my local wally world or some other outlet. The only place I can keep bags of lump, even unopened ones, is my garage (no AC, occasionally floor is wet after hard t'storm, so nothing ever sits on the concrete slab). 

I live in Maryland near DC, and summers are hot, steamy and miserable.  Come August, Dylan nailed it: "...everybody with any sense had already left town".

When I was doing a lot of campfire DO with briquets I found that even the Kingsford briquets sucked up humidity pretty quickly.

I know a lot of you live in even worse humidity-infested places than I do.  How long can I reasonably hope that unopened bags of RO will stay good?  Would putting the whole bags inside garbage bags with tight seals help much?
Stay Calm and Egg On
1 lonely medium in Rockville, MD

Comments

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    Stays good forever

might find some humidity, but it won't ever be unusable over time
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    It'll just take a bit longer to light up when it retains moisture.  Otherwise, like @Darby_Crenshaw said, stays good forever.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    ive used stuff that sat in a stall for 20 plus years, still good
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    It's coal, will stay good for thousands of years.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    It will be good for a long time. Only suggestion would be to store it on a shelf off the cement floor. 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Gets awfully humid and hot here... I've never had a problem.... I typically go through bags pretty fast though, even if it's hot or cold outside.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Keep it dry and will last until you want to burn it.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,119
    Options
    6 months tops.  If you won't use it sooner I recommend vacuum bagging.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    I try to buy the bulk of my needs in the spring at Costco and it works as well next spring as it does the spring I bought it.

Gerhard
  • BigWings
    BigWings Posts: 172
    Options
    It will likely outlast the warranty on your egg

New Brunswick, Canada

• FlashkaBob
    FlashkaBob Posts: 373
    Options
    Everyone is trying to mislead you. It will only last a couple of weeks. If you can't use your entire supply by then, send it to me and I will dispose of it for you at no charge. :smiley: 

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    I noticed on my last few bags of Royal Oak it said:

BEST BY 01/01/2050 
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    I noticed on my last few bags of Royal Oak it said:

BEST BY 01/01/2050 
    BS.  They just want to sell you moar lump. 
    Options
    I keep mine in an open barn on a shelf. I buy lump twice a year or so and there's some in there that's several years old. Lights up the same as the new stuff.

And RO is on sale right now at Walmart. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• shucker
    shucker Posts: 483
    Options
    The lump itself won't go bad like others have stated.  I believe your concern is how long until the burn rate / ability is affected by absorbing moisture.  I live in NC and store my charcoal in my garage (no A/C) and I can tell a noticeable difference between charcoal that is fresh from the store and some that may have been stored for say 6 months.  For that reason I try not to buy anymore than what I need for a 3-4 month period.  I would imagine that @stlcharcoal can give you some scientific data regarding how much moisture the charcoal absorbs and at what rate.  Regardless, old charcoal will still burn just maybe not as hot, fast, or efficiently as fresh stuff.  

Shucker
    Eastern North Carolina
    Go Pirates!

http://facebook.com/oldcolonysmokehouse

https://www.instagram.com/oldcolonysmokehouse/

L & MM BGE/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Pit Barrel Cooker/QDS/Shirley Fab 50" Patio/BQ Grills Hog Cooker/Stump's Classic/Weber 22" OTG

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    I find after 100,000 to 200,000 years, it can pick up some unpleasant hydrocarbons and subatomic particles that can increase the time it takes to get good smoke.
    Did anyone publish your findings? 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,980
    Options
    RedSkip said:
    Or longer.  Much, much, longer.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    for what its worth ive had lump on a wet dirt floor with maple tree roots growing in it and it was fine =) a marketing opportunity for any one thats up to it, lump with maple smoking wood already added
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    RedSkip said:
    Or longer.  Much, much, longer.  
    The bags on the bottom of the stack might turn into diamonds 
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    More likely that diamonds turn to charcoal first
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 688
    Options
    I've burnt RO after a year of storage in SC no problem. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited March 2016
    Options
    More likely that diamonds turn to charcoal first
    I beg to differ.  I am not aware of a process in which diamonds convert to charcoal.

I would expect they could both convert to graphite, but not diamond to charcoal.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    That is the best part of getting real old. Not that much time something has to last........
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• womaus
    womaus Posts: 256
    Options
    Best part of this method is being able to get it up to temp for cooking by sous vide....
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,980
    Options
    Mickey said:
    That is the best part of getting real old. Not that much time something has to last........
    What's the worst part?  Not being able to sit on wooden benches has got to be near the top.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    womaus said:
    Best part of this method is being able to get it up to temp for cooking by sous vide....
    Ooh, good idea.  Wonder if you can burn off the voc's or if it just infuses it deeper?
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Yeah. Graphite

tou know whutta mean 

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    I find after 100,000 to 200,000 years, it can pick up some unpleasant hydrocarbons and subatomic particles that can increase the time it takes to get good smoke.
    Did anyone publish your findings? 
    You did.  Right above this post.  Thank you for that.
    I meant......like......a serious academic kinda article. Anyone? Not on a BBQ forum?
    New Albany, Ohio