Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Time BGE Owner

Options
I purchased a large BGE from the local Ace Hardware.
$999 came with large BGE, pressure treated wood table, short nest for table, 1 bag of charcoal, ash tool, grate tool.
I also purchased the plate setter for $54.

It was built and delivered for free.

Needless to say...
I have used it 4 times in less than a week.
Hamburgers - 3x
baby back ribs - 1x

I also purchased the i-grill 2.. which is AWESOME.
4 possible temp probes.. combination of meat and ambient temperature -  and I can watch the temps from my couch on my Ipad.

Not knowing anything about how to cook in the BGE, I have referred to YouTube videos and stumbled upon this forum for advice.

I have attached a few photos....
enjoy..

Comments

• spcalan1
    spcalan1 Posts: 11
    Options
    The hamburgers were put on at 500 degrees, flipped at 75 degrees, and pulled off at 150... perfect.

The ribs were a bust..
    I cooked them for 4 hours at 263... tasted great, but not 'fall off the bone'. 
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    welcome aboard and enjoy the ride!
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Time to diversify!

Welcome to your new life. 

BE/AE
    New Albany, Ohio 

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Welcome
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• spcalan1
    Options
    Time to diversify!

Welcome to your new life. 

BE/AE
    Suwanee, GA huh ?
    I am right up the street in Oakwood.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Actually, I'm in South Forsyth a mile north of McGinnis Ferry off 141. 

Not sure why we're Suwanee but we are! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    You're ready for pork butt!
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • spcalan1
    Options
    My hamburgers have turned out great each time.
    I need to research more on the rib cook before I try again.
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    spcalan1 said:
    My hamburgers have turned out great each time.
    I need to research more on the rib cook before I try again.
    Where the ribs baby backs or spares?

BB usually 5 hours @ 250 for a clean pull from the bone experience. Spares, add an hour or so. Search for "bend test".

Folks who prefer fall off the bone usually foil the ribs for a period. 

Search 3-1-1 or 3-2-1 ribs.

Good luck and welcome!
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • DeadReddog
    Options
    I am brand new to the forum ( this is my first post ) but I have had my BGE for 10 years. You will love it. Keep trying on the ribs. Lots of good advice here.
    Charleston, South Cackalackey  XLBGE
  • jarc
    jarc Posts: 241
    Options
    Welcome, nice looking set up. Burger looks tasty.

LBGE

Misplaced Cajun-----Blytheville, AR

• spcalan1
    Options
    They were baby back ribs.
    I cooked indirect at 263 for 2 hours, then foiled in apple juice for 1 hour, then 1 hour with BBQ sauce indirect....

I probably pulled them off too early. I was anxious to try them - haha.
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    spcalan1 said:
    They were baby back ribs.
    I cooked indirect at 263 for 2 hours, then foiled in apple juice for 1 hour, then 1 hour with BBQ sauce indirect....

I probably pulled them off too early. I was anxious to try them - haha.
    10-4

I'm not a foil guy but that sounds like the problem. Patience is the Rosetta Stone to most things Egg.

As someone here once said, we get to eat our mistakes.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    Three words of advice:
    1. The BGE gets hot a lot easier than it gets cold, so I you are cooking at low or medium temps (say 200 - 350 deg) don't start an inferno and try to back it down.  Much better to start small fire and let it work its way up.
    2. Learn about flashback (http://www.nakedwhiz.com/flash.htm) and manage your BGE accordingly - note - This is related to my first point.  Sometimes it is unavoidable, but proper precautions will keep your arm hairy (if it started that way)
    3. Go to your closest and/or soonest gathering of knuckleheads on this forum. (Here is one coming up in your corner of the country - http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1193067/butt-blast-updates-countdown#latest).  Some of these people are nice and a few can cook... all are a good time
    Welcome to the forum
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • DeadReddog
    Options
    Gotta get me one of those igrill things.
    Charleston, South Cackalackey  XLBGE
  • ar15203
    ar15203 Posts: 86
    Options
    Good luck trial and error 
    XLBGE, Egging in NH
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,406
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Welcome.... 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Welcome 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options

Welcome to the herd...

I suggest you attend the N Georgia Mountain Eggfest on May 13, 2016 put on by John aka Egret. There you will be immersed into one of the best Eggfests in your part of the country.

It is truly a great day of Egging, eating and great people.

You can ask questions and learn a lot.

http://mountainegg.com/

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    spcalan1 said:
    ... The ribs were a bust..
    I cooked them for 4 hours at 263... tasted great, but not 'fall off the bone'. 
    Some things you cook to temp, but some things you cook to a test of tenderness, and brisket, pork butt, and ribs are definitely in the latter group.  How long you cooked them won't tell you whether they're done.  The two tests that people use for ribs are the "bend test" where you pick them up and hold one end of the rack horizontal and see whether the rest of it bends very far or not.  If it's flexible enough to bend nearly 90%, it's done.  If not, cook it longer.

The other one is the "toothpick test," and that's just sticking a toothpick into the meaty part of the ribs to see whether there's much resistance or not.  If it goes in practically like butter, they're done.  If you have to push very much, they're not.

Some people like ribs better when there's a bit of a chew, still, and others like them better when they're "fall off the bone" tender.  It's just personal preference -- see what you like better.
  • spcalan1
    Options
    Thanks for the info.
    I will try the ribs again this weekend and try to 'smoke' for the first time using my newly purchased apple chips.

Do you just throw them in the fire?
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Welcome!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options

Yes, you can just toss them in.  Or if you want, you can mix them in with the lump.  Either will work.  That sounds like a pretty good deal for 1k...

As mentioned above, hit an eggfest.  You will learn more in one day than a year of trial and error.... and have a grand time doing it too

Apollo Beach, FL
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Options
    Welcome! $999 including the table?  Great price!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,122
    Options
    Congrats!  This site should come with a disclaimer though.  The egg will look cheap when we get done with you.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,040
    Options
    Welcome.   My burgers are about twice your size.   Where's the Beef.
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Looks good! Enjoy

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• spcalan1
    Options
    MotownVol said:
    Welcome.   My burgers are about twice your size.   Where's the Beef.
    haha. 
    I wanted to make thin burgers. I am not a big fan of monster burgers.
    These turned out really good. Nice crust on the outside ( thanks to 500+ degree direct heat ) and cooked until 150 internal. 1 flip at 75 degrees.

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    Welcome!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va