Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Suggestions on Frozen Hamburgers

Options
I have been asked to cook 36 frozen burgers for a birthday party at 6:00 today.  I will be grilling them on my large BGE.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Go frozen. No need to dft. Grill them direct. Aluminum pan and cover with foil to keep in heat as you get them done. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited March 2016
    Options
    If they are the type of burger meant to cook from frozen I would just follow the instructions on the package.  If you have some way to raise the grid that is helpful. If not, just don't put too much lump in to create more space between the grid and the fire.  I would fill it up just past the air holes.   You will probably need to do them in 3 batches.  One thing is you will probably see a lot of steam coming out of the egg.  It looks like smoke but it is probably just moisture being released (don't be too alarmed). 

Something we like to do are "concession stand" burgers.  Put the oven on the lowest setting and put the burgers in the bun, add cheese (if desired) and wrap each burger individually in foil.  Keep them warm in the oven.  It will also steam the bun a little and melt the cheese.  This way you can have them all ready at the same time.  It is nice to have a sous chef for this.  I cook the meat and put it on a cookie sheet and my wife adds cheese and wraps them and puts them in the oven.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,435
    Options
    I agree with @NPHuskerFL  with the no need to thaw.  I have had to cook from frozen a number of times.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    i'd raise the grid and not go too hot.  flare-up city if the meat is decent (i.e. if it has fat in it).

when you open the lid to turn a dozen at a time, the oncoming air usually starts a raging flare-fest.  if you run a little more toward 400, it will keep things in check.  they still sear because they are direct
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• reload
    reload Posts: 267
    Options
    Thanks for the help!  Thus form never ceases to amaze me with all the friendly suggestions. One small problem, I was in a hurry and have the egg up to temp, plate setter in with legs up... Should I take it out and grill them direct or just go with it?
  • MelSharples
    MelSharples Posts: 260
    Options
    I would take it out. Temp will recover immediately.
    LBGE 2015 - Atlanta
  • reload
    Options
    I would take it out. Temp will recover immediately.
    Thanks 
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    with the platesetter in, you'd be making mini meatloaves
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options

ditch the PS.  Do you have one of the grid lifter tool thingies?

If you have something that you can easily pull the grid out, that might be a way to keep from having to since off the remaining hair off your arm.  Pull the entire grid off, flip the burgers, then replace the grid.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    I feel like that when I am raised direct as well.  Especially if my egg isn't very loaded with lump.  Just curious if you do yours raised direct or stock grate?

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• reload
    Options
    Well. ....I removed the plate setter and cooked the burgers direct.  I have to admit that I overcooked several of them.  Thanks again for all the help. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,802
    Options
    One of my very favorites =)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    My advice is to avoid frozen burgers entirely.  Buy fresh.  Cook fresh.  It is the only way to go.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • reload
    Options
    Hub said:
    My advice is to avoid frozen burgers entirely.  Buy fresh.  Cook fresh.  It is the only way to go.
    Agreed, completely agreed as a matter of fact!  I also realized  how much I do not like Cowboy charcoal.   Frozen burgers and Cowboy charcoal make for a bad combination. 
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,435
    Options
    @reload how did it go? 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Hub said:
    What you've never kicked out a few Bubba Burgers or similar style burgers :tongue: 
    And ya I definitely prefer a loosely formed fresh ground burger all day every day.

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL