Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What is your hot sauce of choice and what do you put it on?

Options
I like Cholula chipotle for general purpose. Tabasco for fried eggs,shrimp, oysters. Frank's red hot for wings, and Frank's slammin sriracha for everything else. Datil do it makes a great cocktail sauce.
Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.

Comments

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Crystal is the universal hot sauce.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Botch said:
    Anything but Tabasco; I can't stand that crap.  
    Lmao
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Botch said:
    Anything but Tabasco; I can't stand that crap.  
    very bitter.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• matoch
    matoch Posts: 135
    Options
    I like franks red hot sauce but when I make wings i mix it with a bunch of brown sugar on the stove. It makes it sweet and seems to make the sauce spicier.
    Edmonton, Alberta - XL & Minimax
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,353
    Options
    Can't knock Tabasco- I used it as the food flavor normalizer with anything someone cooked.  When first married (33+ years ago) I would pour it on everything-told "left-overs" only.  Succumbed but it still has the equalizer impact for me.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Plutonium
    Plutonium Posts: 230
    Options
    I'm a huge hot sauce fan and tend to mix it up. My "normal" sauces are Franks and Cholula. I like Sriracha (the real Huy Fong, not one of these new ones), Yellowbird (all three flavors), El Yucateco (green's the best), Trader Joes Dragon Sauce, Trader Joes Habanero sauce, and more I can't think of.

It really depends on the food for me. Some are great for buffalo stuff, some are great for Asian things, and some are great for Mexican stuff.
    Albuquerque, NM - LBGE and an old rusted gasser that I use for accessory storage.

• xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    Options
    Tabasco chipotle, sriracha, and chalula. I love them all!

(For some reason autocorrect wants to change chalula to phallus. . .)
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Texas Pete is my go to, but I like others too.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    http://www.sassyjonesbbq.com/Hot-Sauces/Southern-Red-Cayenne-Hot-Sauce-5-oz.html

This one is made here in arkansas, but damn I sure like it. I ate a whole bottle in one week. Mostly by just pouring on crackers and eating them. Its just that good (to me). Was gonna send yukonRon a bottle in the stuff I sent him but couldnt get down to south arkansas and get it before I needed to mail his stuff. 

Little Rock, AR

• Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    Options
    Melinda's. I put it on a lot of things, but mostly eggs and pizza. 

Melinda's makes a wide variety of high heat sauces (but not inedible high):

XXXX
    Ghost
    Red Savina
    Naga Jolokia
    Habanero
    Scotch Bonnet
    Scorpion

Each one tastes different. Each one is really awesome. 

http://www.melindas.com

• epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,172
    edited March 2016
    Options
    My absolute favorite of all I have ever tried is Tiger Sauce. Great flavor, not to weak or too hot. It is good on everything I ever put it on except Krispy Kreme donuts, and that was an accident. Especially good with scrambled eggs and is also a great addition to give a little kick to bland or poorly topped pizza.

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Options
    Texas Pete is go to. Also like Frank's and Crystal.... NO TABASCO!!!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,172
    Options
    Texas Pete is go to. Also like Frank's and Crystal.... NO TABASCO!!!!

Yeah, I am not a big fan of Tabasco either, but it will do in chili or on Chick-fil-a sandwiches.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    It all depends.  This is like a lump thread.  For wing sauce, anything other than Franks or @neccessaryindulgences tequila lime recipe is an exercise in mediocrity.  For everyday, Cholula is great and most can eat.  I love habanero  sauces but realistically many can't tolerate.  There's so much emphasis put on how hot it is (whoo whoo Ghost peppers etc…) that taste gets lost.  It's not the testosterone, it's the taste.  Texas pete is good, Cholula is really good, tobascos are good for pure pepper sauces.  Crystal, ok.  Different tastes are individual.  If you disagree with me, your wrong. ;)
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    There's so much emphasis put on how hot it is (whoo whoo Ghost peppers etc…) that taste gets lost.  It's not the testosterone, it's the taste.  
    Totally agree @bgebrent ^^

Living in  AZ, and appreciating things on the spicier side, I have gone through phases where my fridge is full of various hot sauces.  These days, I generally reach for Cholula sauce when applied directly.  Boring?  Possibly, but the flavor is pretty much perfect by my taste.

Phoenix 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    blasting said:
    bgebrent said:
    There's so much emphasis put on how hot it is (whoo whoo Ghost peppers etc…) that taste gets lost.  It's not the testosterone, it's the taste.  
    Totally agree @bgebrent ^^

Living in  AZ, and appreciating things on the spicier side, I have gone through phases where my fridge is full of various hot sauces.  These days, I generally reach for Cholula sauce when applied directly.  Boring?  Possibly, but the flavor is pretty much perfect by my taste.

Thank you brother!  Appreciate that.  Love AZ!  Tuscon, north of Phoenix, beautiful rugged country.  Hope to meet you one day man.  I'm in the ATL, if in the neighborhood, let me know.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • swcham
    swcham Posts: 30
    Options
    @epcotisbest Next time you cook wings, give them a good coating of Tiger sauce...my favorite way to make them now...
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    bgebrent said: Hope to meet you one day man.  I'm in the ATL, if in the neighborhood, let me know.

@bgebrent

Likewise Brent.  We're planning a road trip through the south.  If we come through your area, I'll for sure give you a heads up in advance.

Phoenix 
  • 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    Options
    Frank's red hot and pain is good
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options

A lot like cholula but half the price
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    Options
    Texas Pete and Franks are the winners at the house....

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• TCT
    TCT Posts: 168
    Options
    I love the Pain is Good line. Great stuff!! Melinda's too.

Craig

Cockeysville, MD

LBGE and a large list of stuff I want

• lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    Options
    Chulula Chile Garlic for anything Mexican-ish, Franks Red hot for EVERYTHING else...I put that **** on everything. 
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    My absolute favorite of all I have ever tried is Tiger Sauce. Great flavor, not to weak or too hot. It is good on everything I ever put it on except Krispy Kreme donuts, and that was an accident. Especially good with scrambled eggs and is also a great addition to give a little kick to bland or poorly topped pizza.

I like the Tiger Sauce on hamburger steak.........mighty tasty
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    +1 for Tiger Sauce.

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I use a lot of sriracha, but just ordered a three pack of Crystal from Amazon - one for me and one each for my oldest and youngest sons.  Sriracha is great for Asian foods and as a condiment, but I really like the test of Crystal.   Given the positive comments about Cholula, I think I will have to give it a try.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,476
    Options

I use that in almost all my stir-fry's.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Boileregger
    Boileregger Posts: 614
    Options
    I refuse to have a slice of pizza without sriracha.  Cholulua on Mexican stuff and breakfast.