Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bought a Weber Kettle

Options
4Runner
4Runner Posts: 2,948
edited March 2016 in Off Topic
at the beach for the week and the gasser is a mess and the knock off Weber kettle is worse.  What they heck....so I went to Home Depot and picked up some Royal Oak and Weber kettle.  Assembly is complete and pork tenderloins tomorrow and a reverse sear beef tenderloin later in the week.   I'm packing this bad boy up and bringing it home with me too.  It will be my poor man's smoker that needs care and feeding for a low slow cook at home.  I'm looking forward to experimenting.  I'll post picks later on week.  
Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat

Comments

• jollygreenegg
    Options
    I started smoking on a weber with a smokinator kit.  Weber kettles are a good value.  Biggest difference between the weber and egg is the lump consumption and moisture retention - I always used a water pan in the weber.
    MM & XL BGE, Bay Area CA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Good call and audible right there.  All in the end product, however you get there.  Have a fun week.  You likely will have a new-found appreciation for your BGE.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,042
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I love Webers.  They are great grills!  Granted, I sold my kettle after Egg #2, but I never look down on a kettle.

Actually, I never look down on anything that holds fire.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • E-ville Egg
    E-ville Egg Posts: 100
    Options
    I have two Webers at the cabin. Before I got a BGE that's all I had ever grilled on. I love the Weber for grilling but find myself disappointed when I cook ribs and a few other items on it. I need to pull the trigger on an Egg for up there. Probably a good reason to get another large.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,345
    Options
    It's not difficult to get a good 8+ hour run in my kettle (22") at 250ish (at least in nice calm weather). Look up snake method or minion method. Weber sells two little baskets to place along two sides to hold coal and create an indirect zone in the center. I believe the standard grate has flip up sections on each side so adding coal to the baskets is very easy. You could also buy one of these - http://www.abcbarbecue.com/

I've never bought the notion that a kamado retains more moisture. Moisture is tied to airflow (and also not overcooking your meat) and if you are holding 250 in a kettle the airflow is not going to be any different than the airflow in a kamado at the same temp (assuming nice weather). The physics of fire doesn't change in whatever cooker one is using.

Speaking of Weber and kamados - word is that Weber will be announcing their entry into the kamado market in early April. No detail as to whether it will be an insulated shell like an Akorn or just a more kamado shaped metal shell like the http://www.goldenscastironcooker.com/

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Years ago back in the '60s & 70's when banks fought hard for deposits, we used to give customers premiums to entice them to do business with us. In the biz premiums were all over the place ranging from pots and pans, watches, calculators, even gardening equipment! Well, one if the most successful premiums my bank offered were Little Smokey Joe Webbers. Our marketing department over estimated the popularity and we ended up with a semi-truck load of them when the program ended. What we did to get rid of them was to sell them to employees at cost which was dirt cheap. I bought 6 of them and gave away a couple for Christmas, lost one on vacation, donated one and used the other two for years and years. Great little product! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    @HeavyG my kamados hold more moisture.  My weber has a bigger fire to maintain the same temp.  Once the egg is heat soaked it is very efficient.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Have fun with it.  That's tough to beat as a travel grill.

I just picked up a table top weber this weekend at a estate sale.  $4, including a bag of briquets!

The full size weber was lonely, since it's only used to hold my charcoal chimney.
    Phoenix 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    A true egghead would've ran out for a mm. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    @cookingdude555 - a cook of beauty right there.  Most eggcellent.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    Weber's do a very good job, my only complaint is they soon become rust buckets.
    If they made one in cast aluminum it work be fantastic, provided, unlike the Portable Kitchen (PK) grill they included a stainless steel grid. PK is a classic example of a company finding a way to screw up an otherwise excellent product.

I do keep a small Weber handy for offsite cooking.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    We have a weber kettle we keep at the campsite.  I cooked on it for many a weekends.  Got a mini max now to take with me, but absolutely no complaints about the weber.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    4Runner said:
    at the beach for the week and the gasser is a mess and the knock off Weber kettle is worse.  What they heck....so I went to Home Depot and picked up some Royal Oak and Weber kettle.  Assembly is complete and pork tenderloins tomorrow and a reverse sear beef tenderloin later in the week.   I'm packing this bad boy up and bringing it home with me too.  It will be my poor man's smoker that needs care and feeding for a low slow cook at home.  I'm looking forward to experimenting.  I'll post picks later on week.  
    What beach? Spring break here in NWF, just curious.
  • 4Runner
    Options
    Mine has the baskets and a 10 year warranty. Will be my travel grill.  I'll post a few pics after some cooks.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Nothing wrong with a weber.....sold one recently that was 20 years old. Worked as good as the day I purchased it.

You are welcome to borrow my MM next time for the vaca.....
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,470
    Options
    When What's-her-name and I spent a week on the beach (Ft Walton) we ate seafood the whole time.  Egg was there when we got back.  
    whatever works.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    @cookingdude555 I would love a Ranch Kettle!!  Those are awesome looking and have room to spare.
  • 4Runner
    Options
    feef706 said:
    4Runner said:
    What beach? Spring break here in NWF, just curious.
    Litchfield, SC. Beautiful today.   

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Thanks @lousubcap & @Ozzie_Isaac. Love the ranch kettle. I have a large extended family, and that 37.5" grid comes in handy. I love the eggs, but if you want grid space, this is it. XXL included, I don't care how much charcoal I waste. 
  • Retired RailRoader
    Options
    Love my egg but when it comes to tailgating my Weber rules. Made some chicken bombs, grilled zucchini and Mexican corn at my last tailgate.

Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    for burgers, dogs, and chicken thighs or legs i liked my kettle better to cook with. i hate cooking burgers in the egg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    I picked up a Weber Jumbo Joe with the recommendation from Focker. My Weber Joe lid flew out of my truck bed after tailgating one night on the road. I used my Weber Joe weekly for tailgating and now with the Jumbo Joe it's been even more productive. The Jumbo Joe 18" grid usually fits everything on for tailgating. Clean up takes 5 minutes at most and don't have to worry about someone stealing/cracking/waiting on my mini/small egg. Best of all it was under $40
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,112
    Options
    After my Stick Burner died I used my (found) Weber for about a year with great results.

XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    It's not difficult to get a good 8+ hour run in my kettle (22") at 250ish (at least in nice calm weather). Look up snake method or minion method. Weber sells two little baskets to place along two sides to hold coal and create an indirect zone in the center. I believe the standard grate has flip up sections on each side so adding coal to the baskets is very easy. You could also buy one of these - http://www.abcbarbecue.com/

I've never bought the notion that a kamado retains more moisture. Moisture is tied to airflow (and also not overcooking your meat) and if you are holding 250 in a kettle the airflow is not going to be any different than the airflow in a kamado at the same temp (assuming nice weather). The physics of fire doesn't change in whatever cooker one is using.

Speaking of Weber and kamados - word is that Weber will be announcing their entry into the kamado market in early April. No detail as to whether it will be an insulated shell like an Akorn or just a more kamado shaped metal shell like the http://www.goldenscastironcooker.com/

8 hours isn't easy in a kettle IMO, without adding charcoal. The flip up baskets make it EASIER, but not nearly carefree. Love the Weber kettles as well, but keeping a fire for more than 4 hours isn't easy. Not saying it cannot be done, but it isn't what the kettles do best.

Loss of heat through the metal exterior will increase airflow. Also the airflow will surely be different as they are similar. but not the same. The height of the cooker, the location of air intake and exhaust are among the variables that will surely change between cookers. Ozzie is correct. That is precisely why people buy the Kamados. The ceramics are drastically different from steel cookers.

The new Weber is an insulated cooker. Metal shell, yes.

Just couldn't let it go. 
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    There's no shame in that. I use one with my Rodizio. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I think for direct grilling a kettle has an advantage over the egg.  It is easier to get a full bed of coals lit evenly.  

@HeavyG - that is interesting about Weber bringing out a Kamado.  I found this teaser ad (sorry I could only find it on FB):

https://www.facebook.com/allthingsbbq/videos/10153479272308947/

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I think for direct grilling a kettle has an advantage over the egg.  It is easier to get a full bed of coals lit evenly.  

@HeavyG - that is interesting about Weber bringing out a Kamado.  I found this teaser ad (sorry I could only find it on FB):

https://www.facebook.com/allthingsbbq/videos/10153479272308947/
    Wow, they really don't give up much in the video. I got a heads up from the Virtual Weber forum but no images.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Weber kettles are pretty versatile in their own right. I miss the 2-zone cooking that was easy to set up on a kettle. 

To set up 6-8 hr smokes, the snake or C method works best - line up the charcoal along  the circumference of the grill and light one end. There are many youtube vids demonstrating how to do that. You may have better results with briquettes though (yes, that's what I said). I think @20stone posted a thread  a while back too.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.