Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking Hamburgers and brats for the first time

Options
dmack
dmack Posts: 56
I am going to cook hamburgers and brats tomorrow for the first time. Anyone have good suggestions on direct or indirect? And what temperature ? 
Thanks
Dmcak.

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Go Indirect and finish with a sear on the grid or cast iron. I like to egg the brats in Sauer kraut in a ci skillet. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • dmack
    Options
    Don't have a CI skillet, are they ok to cook on the cast iron grid? What temp do you use?
    Dmcak.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    When I do burgers I go direct about 450-500. Flip 4-5 min, usually done at or under 10 minutes. If your burgers are thick then I'd go with @henapple advice above, and do a reverse sear. I grill my brats on my weber, they're easy, turn them a little more frequently then the burgers, about every 2-3 min and they're done when they split open oozing juices!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • dmack
    Options
    Can you guys clarify 'Reverse sear" means?
    Thanks
    Dmcak.
  • dmack
    Options
    Do you know what the internal temp would be? making sure no pink. Yes I was planning on thick burgers.
    Dmcak.
  • dmack
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    When I do burgers I go direct about 450-500. Flip 4-5 min, usually done at or under 10 minutes. If your burgers are thick then I'd go with @henapple advice above, and do a reverse sear. I grill my brats on my weber, they're easy, turn them a little more frequently then the burgers, about every 2-3 min and they're done when they split open oozing juices!
    Can you clarify what Reverse sear is?
    Dmcak.
  • Hans61
    Options
    dmack said:
    Can you guys clarify 'Reverse sear" means?
    Thanks
    When a steak or a piece of meat your grilling is thick, the reverse sear is a good way to go to achieve doneness in the middle while having the right amount of crust on the outside. Not torched outside and raw middle.

at first go slow 250-300 indirect until the meat is about where you want it to be cooked. then remove the plate setter, get your egg hotter and sear 1-3min per side, or take the meat in and sear in a pan/skillet on the stove. Its a sear in the rear!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • dmack
    Options
    Got ya, thanks for the information.
    Dmcak.
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    I go direct and it's fine, but only because I haven't made the effort to do the cast iron sear yet and I simply don't do burgers as often as I should. The one thing I'll warn you about going direct is that it's important to have an evenly spaced fire or you'll be rearranging stuff constantly because there will be hot/cold spots.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Hans61
    Options
    Id let your burgers get up to 160 if you don't want much pink. USDA recommends 160 for ground beef, but I'm sure most folks on this forum will tell you that 140-150 will taste better :-)
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I went Indirect the other night... Hit 160 and pulled. No need for a sear. You'll have to try 8 different methods to find your favorite... But they'll all be good. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I've done burgers like Mr @henapple described and they are over the top good. 

Since you don't have CI yet I would suggest cooking the brats in a cheap aluminum pan with the sauer kraut till close to done the throwing them directly on the grid to crisp up the outside. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • n8er
    n8er Posts: 114
    Options
    Go direct and just keep an eye on em. 
    Egging year 'round in North Dakota
  • dmack
    Options
    Cooking burgers and brats for the first time tonight. Let you guys now how it goes.Thanks for all the info.
    Dmcak.
  • dmack
    Options
    Well I have to say the burgers and bratts were good. I cooked the brats first in a AL pan with them soaked in beer. Then cooked the burgers on a low heat around 350 until the meat was 160. The removed the plate setter and reversed seared them both. Worked out good. Thanks to everyone and there great ideas. Here is a few pics.
    Dmcak.
  • jarc
    jarc Posts: 241
    Options
    Looks tasty. Nice job.

LBGE

Misplaced Cajun-----Blytheville, AR

• dmack
    Options
    hapster said:
    Looks good
    Like your blog, nice I think I joined but not sure. I have never been a blogger 
    Dmcak.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Strong work. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX