Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast Iron Skillet Smash Burger

Options
On the grill this time + No smoke alarm = Win.     I love a big juicy burger, but doing them this way has completely changed my mind on preference for burgers.

--Because I'm like ice, buddy. When I don't like you, you've got problems.

KJ Classic
28" Blackstone
South Carolina native, adopted Texan, residing in Olive Branch, MS.  Go Tigers.

Comments

• Dawnl
    Dawnl Posts: 252
    Options
    Lookin good!
    Ottawa Valley, Ontario
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Reminds me I need propane- my Blackstone has been sidelined. I agree with you- love big smoked burgers but the crunchy thin ones are really good too. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,053
    Options
    Very nice.  I need a burger now. :flushed: 
  • Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    Options
    Nice little snack there. 
    Sudbury, Ontario
  • MCRyan
    MCRyan Posts: 167
    Options
    Gotta weigh in on this!  I agree and yours look great.  My family won't eat burgers any other way.  Just to share techniques and tips, I use a Lodge cast iron griddle as opposed to the skillet.  I can usually press at least three patty balls at a time on it - a little smaller than a tennis ball in size.  Can't beat the crusty goodness of a smashed burger!!! Love em'
    XLBGE, SS table
    McKinney, TX.
  • clemsontyger97
    Options
    MCRyan said:
    Gotta weigh in on this!  I agree and yours look great.  My family won't eat burgers any other way.  Just to share techniques and tips, I use a Lodge cast iron griddle as opposed to the skillet.  I can usually press at least three patty balls at a time on it - a little smaller than a tennis ball in size.  Can't beat the crusty goodness of a smashed burger!!! Love em'
    That's definitely on my list to acquire soon primarily for that reason.   I can get 2 onto my 12" Lodge skillet (4 oz each)

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Fantastic!!!!  Gotta do this!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • clemsontyger97
    Options
    Yep.   I've done them twice now and personally find them just ridiculously flavorful with nothing more than a little salt and pepper sprinkled.   I smash them within 20 seconds of getting them on the skillet and press them as thin as I can go without breaking them apart.  Just enough to get the edges ragged.

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,732
    Options
    My kind of burger!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• newby84
    newby84 Posts: 133
    Options
    I Have to try this! Those look great. 
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    Those burgers look awesome.  I'm getting ready to try my first attempt at smash burgers.  I've researched the technique and there appears to be quite a bit of variance.  Do you guys prefer to smash them almost right away, or do you prefer to cook one side about a minute, flip, and then smash?
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Right away
    Greensboro, NC
  • Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    edited March 2016
    Options

I use a cast iron half moon griddle, and I use two of them when I'm making more than three burgers. It sits at the top of the firebox where the regular grate goes, and it's easier to smash because there's almost no lip.

• MCRyan
    MCRyan Posts: 167
    Options
    I second that.   Roll the meat balls.  I add Salt, Pepper and Worschtishire sauce.  A nice heavy cast iron hand-press pushing down pretty hard gets them perfect in my opition. 
    XLBGE, SS table
    McKinney, TX.