Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Purchasing beef ribs

Options
I'm trying to find those meaty beef ribs I've seen on here but I don't think I found the right thing at Publix. Is this right?

War Damn Eagle!

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    What you have there is back ribs. The ones you are referring to are plate ribs. Not to worry though, the back ribs are excellent to. Just not as massive. I love back ribs myself. You just have to eat more of them. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    At that price go back and clean them out.  Beef back ribs around here go for $5/lb on a good day and they look the same.  
    Another and more common cut of beef ribs are the short ribs.  About the same look as the plate ribs but from a different part of the cow (3 vs 4 bones)  Short ribs are much more common where I am and I have found that if you ask at the local chain (Kroger) meat counter, they will go into the chill box and retrieve the uncut version.  And beef ribs beat their pork cousins every time.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    Definitely check with the meat markets in your area and ask for Chuck Short Ribs or Plate Ribs.  As @lousubcap said, they are similar. Plate Ribs cost much more then Chuck Short ribs but both are excellent.  I think they are better than beef back ribs.  If you have a Restaurant Depot near you, they carry both.  Last time I bought some, the Chuck Short ribs were about $3.50/pound and the Plate Ribs were about $6/pound. They also usually have boneless Chuck Short Ribs for about$6/pound.  Try to get them uncut if you can - most  meat markets cut up the bones and I think they cook and taste better when they are uncut.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    What you have right there will cook up very nicely. Not the plate ribs....but actually my favorite. Good eats right there.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • MaC122
    MaC122 Posts: 797
    Options
    @fishepaPublix beef ribs are cheap and can be good, but you're not going to get the meat that you have seen from previous beef rib posts. Also, they wont take 6 hours to cook, maybe 5, and they need to be spritzed with apple juice every hour or so that the bark doesn't become too crunchy.  Just my advice
    St. Johns County, Florida
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    The only place I've been able to find the uncut Plate and Chuck Ribs is at Restaurant Depot here in central CA.  Definitely one of my favorite cooks, "brisket on a stick".  The file name says ribeye, but certainly not.  These are 4 bone Chuck cut in half to fit Food Saver bags.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I just made those same publix ribs over the weekend.  They turned out great but I just wish there was more meat on dem bones!   
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • loveTheEgg
    loveTheEgg Posts: 573
    Options
    thetrim said:
    I just made those same publix ribs over the weekend.  They turned out great but I just wish there was more meat on dem bones!   
    @thetrim I have some of these myself! I have never cooked them before. can you share your temp and time please sir? good looking cook there!
    Brandon, MS
  • 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    Options
    @fishepa you have to go to a local butcher and order it my friend. Most places will just sell short ribs.

XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    thetrim said:
    @thetrim I have some of these myself! I have never cooked them before. can you share your temp and time please sir? good looking cook there!
    @lovetheegg Sorry for the late reply but I kept these between 250-275 and they took a good six hours.  wrapped in butcher paper at three hours.  Then did a quick sauce and direct cook for the final 30 mins. Cooked on mix of pecan and cherry.  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95