Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turbo Ribs Question

Options
Thinking about trying these this weekend for our son's bday party.  Starting a butt friday afternoon, brisket friday evening and I can either put ribs on at 6am saturday or try out turbo and wait until about 10.  I'm leaning heavily toward the 10 because 1) whenever I lean, it's usually heavily since i like to eat and 2) i'd rather not be up at 0530.  

Anyway, has anyone tried Mickey's turbo method with st louis style ribs?  All of the posts I see him comment on, he references BB.  Just wondering how closely I might be able to stick to that 1:40 timeframe.
XLBGE- Napa, CA by way of ATX

Comments

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited March 2016
    Options
    You can do them turbo, but spare ribs (St Louis style) will always take longer than baby backs.  Use the tear or bend test to determine when they're done.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• hoofaloos
    hoofaloos Posts: 242
    Options
    You can do them turbo, but spare ribs (St Louis style) will always take longer than baby backs.  Use the tear or bend test to determine when they're done.
    makes sense.  have you tried them?  any preference?

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    Re preference: baby backs are crowd pleasers. Spares are for those who like ribs

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @hoofaloos
    You can turbo spares with great results. Without getting to long winded, I would like to share a couple of things that I have noticed when turboing spares. Due to their size difference and more connective tissue, they don't lend themselves as well to as high of temps as BB's. I have ran BB's as high as 425 with great luck. However spares turn out better when limited to about 325. Not saying that they won't be good if you cook them higher than 325, but their exterior will usually be tighter than what you want. Also I'm speaking of cooking them on the BGE. Their proximity to the ceramics makes it harder to cook them at super high temps. If you were cooking on a large vertical or horizontal pit with plenty of space between the ribs and cooking chamber walls, then you could certainly push the temp higher. I have ran them at 375 on my vertical with stellar results. However when I try it in the BGE, I always end up with scorched ends and over tightening of the exterior. As such, I now limit them to 325 when using my large BGE. Depending on their size and how well you maintain temp during the cook, spares usually take around 2 hours and 15 minutes at 325. Give or take a little either way depending on their size and temp control. It's just my opinion and preference, but I prefer to cook spares between 265-285. Especially if time is not a concern. If time is a factor, I have no qualm with blasting them out at 325. But to each their own my friend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• hoofaloos
    Options
    SGH said:
    @hoofaloos
    You can turbo spares with great results. Without getting to long winded, I would like to share a couple of things that I have noticed when turboing spares. Due to their size difference and more connective tissue, they don't lend themselves as well to as high of temps as BB's. I have ran BB's as high as 425 with great luck. However spares turn out better when limited to about 325. Not saying that they won't be good if you cook them higher than 325, but their exterior will usually be tighter than what you want. Also I'm speaking of cooking them on the BGE. Their proximity to the ceramics makes it harder to cook them at super high temps. If you were cooking on a large vertical or horizontal pit with plenty of space between the ribs and cooking chamber walls, then you could certainly push the temp higher. I have ran them at 375 on my vertical with stellar results. However when I try it in the BGE, I always end up with scorched ends and over tightening of the exterior. As such, I now limit them to 325 when using my large BGE. Depending on their size and how well you maintain temp during the cook, spares usually take around 2 hours and 15 minutes at 325. Give or take a little either way depending on their size and temp control. It's just my opinion and preference, but I prefer to cook spares between 265-285. Especially if time is not a concern. If time is a factor, I have no qualm with blasting them out at 325. But to each their own my friend. 
    good info.  no wind is long winded coming from you

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    I will bow to SGH and all things BBQ, but depending on how concerned you are about who you're serving I might hesitate to do turbo for guests without doing a test run first. I think I'm in the minority here, but I have not particularly cared for the turbo ribs (baby backs) both times I tried them (turbo meaning 325-335). I was so convinced that I screwed something up the first time that I tried turbo a second time, but found similar unsatisfactory results. I've just had noticeably better results at 250 degrees. Not trying to talk you out of it and I value my sleep, too, but just want to give you my minority opinion on turbo ribs. Whatever you do, please share. I'm sure it will all turn out great.
    Stillwater, MN
  • hoofaloos
    Options
    Just curious- what was it that you didn't like about em?

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @StillH2OEgger
    I have to agree with you. As good as turbo ribs are, I much prefer their texture when cooked between 265-285. But here is a kicker. My wife prefers the texture of the turbo ribs. Just goes to show that we all have different tastes and preferences. About the only things I prefer cooked at the higher temps are fish, seafood and poultry. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• hoofaloos
    Options
    I'm with you guys. I've done a turbo butt and while great, I prefer low & slow. I love everything about spares at around 5-6 hours at 250 so maybe I'll just get up early. 

• StillH2OEgger
    Options
    hoofaloos said:
    I probably should have added that my preferred method does include a foil stage, so that should give you an indication of how I (and my wife) like em. I would not be surprised if those who like turbo more also let them ride straight through even when cooking at lower temps. I don't mind a little char, but when I turbo'd them it seemed like it was more of a crust than I like. I would not go so far as to say they were dry, but they were also just a little drier, even though cooked enough to pass the bend and toothpick tests.
    Stillwater, MN
  • hoofaloos
    Options
    hoofaloos said:
    I probably should have added that my preferred method does include a foil stage, so that should give you an indication of how I (and my wife) like em. I would not be surprised if those who like turbo more also let them ride straight through even when cooking at lower temps. I don't mind a little char, but when I turbo'd them it seemed like it was more of a crust than I like. I would not go so far as to say they were dry, but they were also just a little drier, even though cooked enough to pass the bend and toothpick tests.
    I am in the "let em ride" camp when going low and slow

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    hoofaloos said:
    I know I'm in the minority but I like baby backs much more than spares.  I've made a ton of both of them over the years and baby backs are just my preference.  Spares to me have too much uneven fatty texture that I don't like.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• StillH2OEgger
    Options
    hoofaloos said:
    I know I'm in the minority but I like baby backs much more than spares.  I've made a ton of both of them over the years and baby backs are just my preference.  Spares to me have too much uneven fatty texture that I don't like.
    Not sure that puts you in the minority. I prefer baby backs and, if polled, I bet more would prefer them. Cost might even it out some as spares are about half the cost of baby backs where I'm at.
    Stillwater, MN
  • hoofaloos
    Options
    I prefer spares bc I'm lazy and want more food with less hassle. Not a wings fan for that same reason