Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Vision Lump

Options
Has any one tried this yet? It's 11.98 for 20 pounds at SAMS in Lansing Michigan 
Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,617
    Options
    I tried once and it was crap, not well carbonized at all - it was like throwing logs on in the egg.  Check how heavy the bag is - I wish I'd weighed mine because it had to be way over 20 lbs.  
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Vision Lump is being marketed as 100% Oak, and tied to the Vision Kammado type cookers. Most reviews I have seen complimented on the size of the lump, the unexpected weight of the bag, and needing more air to get to temp and maintain temp. People seem to favor it more than Royal Oak, BGE, Cowboy, but not as much as Carbon Del Sur, Rockwood, Fogo, etc.
    Takes a while longer to get to good smoke for cooking. Lump seems to last much longer. I have had no experience with it personally and the comments I have read are from novices in the Kommado cooking circles.
    FWIW
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • shucker
    shucker Posts: 483
    Options
    i bought two bags the first time i saw it.  complete garbage.  I wont be wasting my money on any more.  

Shucker
    Eastern North Carolina
    Go Pirates!

http://facebook.com/oldcolonysmokehouse

https://www.instagram.com/oldcolonysmokehouse/

L & MM BGE/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Pit Barrel Cooker/QDS/Shirley Fab 50" Patio/BQ Grills Hog Cooker/Stump's Classic/Weber 22" OTG

• milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    That stuff is very hit or miss. Smokey for sure. Not worth it. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    Thanks everyone.
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    Options
    Bought 2 bags, took 1 -1/2 back. Not worth hauling home.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • Beavercreek_Smoker
    Options
    Visions is a Chinese company right, their charcoal I'm assuming is also Chinese. Why would it surprise anyone that this is pure junk? Not to mention do you really want to cook with anything from China? They ship poisoned pet treats here, they poison baby formula, no thank you.

sorry if this offends anyone but I'm so tired of our government kissing the feet of a country that is communist, has nucular capabilities, has ICBM's, serious human rights issues and is friends with North Korea. 

My my rant for the day...
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    Visions is a Chinese company right, their charcoal I'm assuming is also Chinese. Why would it surprise anyone that this is pure junk? Not to mention do you really want to cook with anything from China? They ship poisoned pet treats here, they poison baby formula, no thank you.

sorry if this offends anyone but I'm so tired of our government kissing the feet of a country that is communist, has nucular capabilities, has ICBM's, serious human rights issues and is friends with North Korea. 

It does say made in Mexico on the bag
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options

Donald, is that you?
    NOLA
  • SunDeviledEgg
    Options

The owner of Vision is an American guy.  Just because their grills are made in China doesn't mean that's where the lump comes from.  BGE's are made in Mexico, their lump doesn't also come from Mexico.  
  • FlashkaBob
    FlashkaBob Posts: 373
    Options
    @Beavercreek_Smoker
    Keep that thought until Fridays fun fest :smiley: 

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,617
    Options
    I've never tried vision baby formula, didn't know it was poisoned.
  • SunDeviledEgg
    Options
    stay away from Vision Chipotle restaurants.
  • thatguy662
    Options
    Worst charcoal I've ever used. I'm just going to throw one or 2 pieces in with some cooks to use it up but it sucks.