Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The day we have all been waiting for ...

Options

Comments

• GaBGE
    GaBGE Posts: 556
    Options
    Do you have to pay now and wait 6-9 months for them to ship?
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    @GaBGE nope only have to wait 3 weeks.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Not trying to stir the pot here but, isn't there any sort of ethics to product design with this outfit? :i_dunno:  
    It just seems rather swarmy. Yes, the consumer saves $$$ (I get that). 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options

If you don't like those you can try some of these? LMAO!!

Everybody is in this business except for me!!

http://kuercoolers.com/collections/drinkware

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Yep. Lots of folks in the drinks are biz. Buy a blank, stamp your logo. Yeti is just better at marketing. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,494
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Not trying to stir the pot here but, isn't there any sort of ethics to product design with this outfit? :i_dunno:  
    There's a german company, Behringer, that does the same blatant ripoff designs using inferior components, ripping off the American company Mackie, who build live music equipment.  
    I have the 24-channel 4-buss Mackie, it's a beautiful piece; former bandmates have purchased (against my recommendation) four different Behringer pieces, all of which were partially or fully non-functioning within weeks.  
    I wish international laws could address this better.  

EDIT:  sorry for the hijack.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    Hotch said:

If you don't like those you can try some of these? LMAO!!

Everybody is in this business except for me!!

http://kuercoolers.com/collections/drinkware

I dig the twisted tumbler look
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    I got the Thermos Koozie's for under $10 each.
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options

They all buy very close to the same blanks and then have them etched or stamped with a logo. China has no scruples and some are just better at marketing than others. 

NW IA

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,351
    Options

They all buy very close to the same blanks and then have them etched or stamped with a logo. China has no scruples and some are just better at marketing than others. 
    Scruples??? Why is China to blame here?

It's not as if Yeti invented or designed the shape of these sort of beverage containers that are sold under many (dozens, hundreds??) of different labels by multiple companies around the globe.

Companies are free to pay for a blank with a distinctive unique shape or whatever but most won't spend the extra cost for doing so. Can't blame China for that. 

An apt analogy is car batteries in the US which are made in just a few plants yet labeled for sale by dozens of outlets/brands. Is that due to a lack of scruples on the part of the US battery manufacturers??
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    @HeavyG - My point exactly. The manufacture doesn't care who is buying them and putting whatever on them. They are just glad to be producing it. That is why it is up to marketing to get the recognition.

NW IA

• rmr62
    rmr62 Posts: 233
    edited March 2016
    Options
    nevermind
    Lagrange, GA   LBGE
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I bought two of everything except one lowball.
    Options

There has got to be some sort of copyright infringement. For example; I know guitars. Almost all guitars, whether acoustic or electric, kinda look the same. The way the copyright dispute is settled is that no head stock of a guitar can resemble that of another company. The body and the neck can be identical. These look just like yeti but I cannot tell without a top down view. Yeti will sue for sure.
    St. Johns County, Florida
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Good thing it's warm down there all the time - they's gonna get there in January. =)
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Yeti didn't design the cup. They just ordered them from china same as RTIC
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Spaightlabs
    Options
    How do you know?
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    How do you know?
    Some time ago, there was a thread that contained a link to a Chinese site where you could buy these blanks, along with all kinds of other crap on the cheap, but you had to buy a bunch. I'm too lazy to look for it now. 
  • Spaightlabs
    Options
    That's alibaba.  you can buy the same cooler as a Yeti for $35 a pop if you buy them by the container.

But that doesn't mean Yeti didn't design them. It just means that whoever is manufacturing for them is willing to sell unbranded product.

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Welp, they didn't invent the rotomold cooler, so I'm not gonna hold out hope they invented a vacuum sealed cup. 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Good thing it's warm down there all the time - they's gonna get there in January. =)
    I ordered the stuff the first day they offered them.  I got the 30s quick last time.
    Options
    Welp, they didn't invent the rotomold cooler, so I'm not gonna hold out hope they invented a vacuum sealed cup. 
    They may not have invented it, but they may have designed it??

Guess it isn't particularly important.  Everyone should buy what they want and enjoy using it.

Prost. 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I ordered a cooler... It'll be here in July of 21
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,192
    Options
    henapple said:
    If you're lucky 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    They may not have invented it, but they may have designed it??

Guess it isn't particularly important.  Everyone should buy what they want and enjoy using it.

Prost. 
    I find it unsurprising that know one knows, but everyone is taking one side or another like they do know about the intellectual property.  If RTIC or anyone else is infringing on Yeti's patents, that can be arbitrated or worked out in the courts.   It seems they did that already. 

Now I heard RTIC clubs baby seals to make their baby-seal additive for the coolers.  This should be talked about, and fought over ad nauseam.
    Options
    henapple said:
    Now now Uncle Apple. RTIC is rolling like thunder now. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I ordered the stuff the first day they offered them.  I got the 30s quick last time.
    The last several orders that I have placed with RTIC has came in either 2 or 3 days. I actually have a 150 quart RTIC that I didn't even order. That's what I call service. For those of you not in the know, RTIC is going to match Yeti tit for tat in cooler size offerings.  
    Shall i sing Yeti Land :whistle: 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Being in the legal outsourcing business I know a lot about this lawsuit. I am not taking sides, but have Yeti and zero RTIC. It is the same stuff made by one of the original yeti guys who "left". The difference is they sell straight to the consumer as opposed to large outfits who then sell to consumer therefore can charge less. I am sure you know this but just a FYI if you didn't read my original post months ago. I will be buying a RTIC cooler soon. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Fosk
    Fosk Posts: 19
    Options
    Bottom line is, choose the middleman that you want to buy from. One charges double what the other charges...but you're free to buy from either.  Just stop bashing people for trying to be smart with their own money.  I own 2 30oz Yeti tumblers and a colster.  I now own 2 RTic 30oz tumblers and just ordered 2 20oz and a coozie from RTic and really don't see getting anything else from Yeti. Well, maybe one of their phenomenal stickers!