Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Conveggtor or pizza stone for pizzas?

Options
I was told by my local dealer, several different occasions with different reps as well that by purchasing the deflector plate AKA conveggtor i would be able to smoke meats(legs up) and pizzas (legs down). Figured i would save money but it wasnt my idea, but my dealer. It worked out with no problems but havent tried a pizza stone so i dont know if there would be a difference
Austin, Tx

Comments

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    typically the conveggtor (aka plate setter) is used for indirect cooking - including pizza. 

you would normally do conv legs up, grate, pizza stone because if you do pizza at >500 dome, the platesetter will be way too hot and will just char the pizza and you will be able to use the result as fuel in your next cook. (well, maybe not, but it will be the same color). 

I actually add 3 fire bricks on top of the grate, then the pizza stone. This gets the pie further up into the hot dome.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Legs down is the older recommended setup. They had problems with the heat being directed to the gasket and increased failures of said gasket. People mostly go legs up, cooking grid and stone. Raise the stone with a raised grid or bricks to get higher in the dome I you like. Also, @RRP aka Ron Pratt, Dunlap, IL sells another gasket that is popular and would eliminate failure. Happy egging. 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I lost several platesetters at EggFests and never looked for them. Hate them. 
    Go stones!
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• bgeaddikt
    Options
    Baked 2 pizzas right now with the wifey(she made the pizzas) and kiddos. No pizza stone used since i havent bought 1 yet and havent had any issues making them on my plate setter. Corn meal was used so it didnt stick but the wifey didnt corn meal the granite counter while prepping them! Managed to get passed it though and they tasted great. Pepperoni, shredded cheese, crushed tomatoes, minced garlic, etc. Egg only went to 600°F due to me trying to align the dome because of the underbite and i made it worse mid cook! Either way i was really satisfied and the taste was amazing. 2nd batch so far. Will try switching up the baking setup to see if the results are any better. 1 got a little more toasted but was still delish. Any constructive  criticism is more then welcome. It was soo good i wanted more! So i grilled a steak right after! Undercooked it to my standards(i prefer well done) but i understand the juicyness in the red stuff! Also had 1 of my pizza slices look like you know what...well you all can be the judge

Austin, Tx
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    Get a Roswell rig and two BGE 14" pizza stones and have a pizza party! With the plate setter and one stone on the top you will be as high in the dome as possible. I usually use the plate setter and I can't remember why I did not use it when I took this picture. 

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer