Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

JoeTisserie for the BGE

So is anyone going to order the Kamado Joe JoeTisserie for the Egg? I am!  :)

Brandon, MS

Comments

• stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    A few good threads on it now.  One with user photos/review, check it out.  She seems happy with it.
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Just got it, used it this past weekend. Really nice results. If you plan on buying, look for the 5% off code .
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • I have seen the reviews. Looks great. So the one they are selling fits the large egg. Correct? 
    Brandon, MS
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Yes
    Seattle, WA
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Here's another thread about it. http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1191460/joetisserie-update-pic-heavy/p1 This is the one that helped me decide to purchase it. Thanks @chrisc133, we are eternally in your debt. We love that thing.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Dredger said:
    Here's another thread about it. http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1191460/joetisserie-update-pic-heavy/p1 This is the one that helped me decide to purchase it. Thanks @chrisc133, we are eternally in your debt. We love that thing.
    Glad I could help
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • Logger
    Logger Posts: 309
    Any idea if there's going to be one that fits the XL?
    OKC area  XL - Medium Eggs
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    Logger said:
    Any idea if there's going to be one that fits the XL?
    Kaman Joe is making one for their Big Joe which is the same diameter as the XL. Should hit the streets in a few months (or less?).
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• I thought one of the features of the design of the egg is that you don't have to get a rotisserie?  Some education please. 
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    I thought one of the features of the design of the egg is that you don't have to get a rotisserie?  Some education please. 
    I agree, am completely happy with many different kinds of cook on my BGE, have no interest in getting a rotisserie for it.  I can imagine that some roasts, cooked rotating direct over a low fire might be somewhat different than the way I'd usually roast them indirect without a rotisserie, but I'm so happy with what I get without the rotisserie, it's hard for me to imagine it could be very much better with one, and it's one more gizmo to buy and fuss around with. 

I've read some of the discussion, but we're all biased.  Anyone who has spent the money on a rotisserie is going to want to believe what comes off of it is super wonderful, and most of us who don't have rotisseries are going to want to believe we don't need them.  It'd be interesting if there were a "blind" tasting where people didn't know whether what they were eating was cooked on a rotisserie or the regular way, and see if they could tell a difference, and if so, what they preferred.

The only thing I can think of that a rotisserie would be pretty cool for is gyros or shwarma, where, typically, they sear the outside, slice off the browned outside, keep it rotating and browning, keep slicing off the browned outside, etc..  But usually those are vertical, so any fat drips down and away from the heat, whereas on a horizontal spit over a fire, the fat would keep dripping down onto the fire and burning back up again.  Not what I want.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    Theophan said:
    I thought one of the features of the design of the egg is that you don't have to get a rotisserie?  Some education please. 
    I agree, am completely happy with many different kinds of cook on my BGE, have no interest in getting a rotisserie for it.  I can imagine that some roasts, cooked rotating direct over a low fire might be somewhat different than the way I'd usually roast them indirect without a rotisserie, but I'm so happy with what I get without the rotisserie, it's hard for me to imagine it could be very much better with one, and it's one more gizmo to buy and fuss around with. 

I've read some of the discussion, but we're all biased.  Anyone who has spent the money on a rotisserie is going to want to believe what comes off of it is super wonderful, and most of us who don't have rotisseries are going to want to believe we don't need them.  It'd be interesting if there were a "blind" tasting where people didn't know whether what they were eating was cooked on a rotisserie or the regular way, and see if they could tell a difference, and if so, what they preferred.

The only thing I can think of that a rotisserie would be pretty cool for is gyros or shwarma, where, typically, they sear the outside, slice off the browned outside, keep it rotating and browning, keep slicing off the browned outside, etc..  But usually those are vertical, so any fat drips down and away from the heat, whereas on a horizontal spit over a fire, the fat would keep dripping down onto the fire and burning back up again.  Not what I want.
    And it would be interesting to do a blind taste testing with some skilled cooks to see if folks could tell the difference from item x cooked on a kamado, kettle, UDS, hibachi, fire pit, convection oven, whatever.

My guess is that most folks couldn't tell any difference. 

BTW, it's pretty easy to avoid flare ups with a rotisserie and drip pan.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Because you can....simple as that. 
    Seattle, WA
  • I thought one of the features of the design of the egg is that you don't have to get a rotisserie?  Some education please. 
    Just another toy! I'm bored so looking for something different.  =)
    Brandon, MS
    Just another toy! I'm bored so looking for something different.  =)

Now this I can get behind, sign me up! hahaha
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    edited February 2016
    @DoubleRay415 - before you buy more toys and you currently have discretionary $$  to invest in BGE cooking I might suggest giving the below site a look:
    https://www.snakeriverfarms.com.
    Trust me, the toys will come so before you enter that phase, go for it.  (No SRF affiliation here but I am an enabler :)  )
    Edit:  Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    IMO, if you are cooking raised indirect, there is no need for the rotisserie.
    But if you want to cook raised direct for a long time and don't want to over-scorch one side while not direct heat roasting the other side, then a rotisserie makes perfect sense if you don't want to manually flip your meat regularly.  I haven't purchased one yet, but i do plan on getting one in the near future.  I think it will add a new dimension to cooking with my Egg.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• lousubcap Thanks for the link, my mouth is salivating browsing through their selection.  That cowboy chop is calling my name!    

Zmokin Good insight, I'm still on phase one with my egg and I have yet to use the plate setter.  Im sure once I get going, i'll understand the use/need of other accessories.  The thought of rotisserie over a hot flame got me hungry.