Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sunday Night with Ribs, Venison and Quail

Options
Plus taters au gratin In The Style of @nolaegghead. Of course. 

It's a 302 thing . . .

Comments

• CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    Dang, that's some serious grub. Looks great!
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Those quail look enormous! Are they wild or commercial? The food looks wonderful.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Rambo
    Rambo Posts: 43
    Options
    Nice spread!! 

I Love Animals. They Taste Great. 

Large Green Egg - Traeger Texas Pro - Weber kettle Grill for life.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    That is an absolutely incredible display of power cheffing. Beautiful cook!
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    That last picture looks like it should be on the cover of a John Folse book.   Good job.
    Options
    Great looking feast.

LBGE

Misplaced Cajun-----Blytheville, AR

• DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    Options
    Gorgeous.  I just finished lunch, and now I'm hungry all over again.
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Seriously dude you killed it!  Nice falls short of proper accolades on this one. :plus_one: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Outstanding spread!  Diggin the bacon wrapped quail!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    Those quail look enormous! Are they wild or commercial? The food looks wonderful.
    They were wild, taken down by a friend and frozen before I thawed, rubbed, wrapped, rubbed some more, and egged (raised direct, 400 degrees, cherry chunks).   They weren't actually that big in real life, and one had kind of a messed up leg that didn't survive to make it to the plate.  But they ate great -- moist and tender and not too gamey.

And thanks for looking and commenting, all.  Isn't in nice every once and a while, to post and read about FOOD??   =)
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • booksw
    booksw Posts: 470
    Options
    Waking this up again... Yesterday a hunter friend of ours gave us a pack of frozen quail straight from his freezer.  We stopped on the longish way home and bought a styrofoam cooler and about 3 hours later got it into our fridge. So I am going to cook it soon!!

New to quail, I had guessed that they are really low fat (ie dry and tough), and something has to be done in the cooking process to maximize the moisture.  I was thinking low-and-slow and maybe marinated, but on this forum I am only seeing wrapped-in-bacon (which takes care of the dryness).  @HendersonTRKing it looks like you have had incredible success with 400 degrees- I am wondering what the impact of the cherry has at that high heat- what do you think?  Have you tried them low and slow or marinated?  Thanks!

Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • HendersonTRKing
    HendersonTRKing Posts: 1,803
    Options
    booksw said:
    Waking this up again... Yesterday a hunter friend of ours gave us a pack of frozen quail straight from his freezer.  We stopped on the longish way home and bought a styrofoam cooler and about 3 hours later got it into our fridge. So I am going to cook it soon!!

New to quail, I had guessed that they are really low fat (ie dry and tough), and something has to be done in the cooking process to maximize the moisture.  I was thinking low-and-slow and maybe marinated, but on this forum I am only seeing wrapped-in-bacon (which takes care of the dryness).  @HendersonTRKing it looks like you have had incredible success with 400 degrees- I am wondering what the impact of the cherry has at that high heat- what do you think?  Have you tried them low and slow or marinated?  Thanks!

If I had the time, I'd have done them lower and slower, but both the time and the grill temp had gotten irretrievably away from me.  So I figured I'd do them raised direct high like I do chicken -- but NOT spatch'd bc they're so lean. That's where the bacon wrap came in.  

If I had the time and inclination (and more quail), I'd definitely try a wet brine -- I typically go with an apple cider base as that adds some sweet with the salty brine.  And I'd prolly still wrap in bacon.  For moistness and because bacon.  

Really looking forward to seeing how you end up doing it!

It's a 302 thing . . .