Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Carolina Q CI pizza

Options
Getting ready to throw in Carolina Q's CI pizza recipe from 2/14.  For whatever reason, I've never had any luck with pizza on the egg.  The family is losing faith in me, so I'm hoping this one is the one!  Updates to follow....wish me luck and thank you Carolina Q for the receipe link.
A Lonely Single Large Egg

North Shore of Massachusetts

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Sounds great. Don't forget the pictures. I have a hard time drooling over the words. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Just do what I did... cook it in the oven. :rofl: 

Seriously, it's probably been close to three years since I last egged a pizza. I know that one was an oven pie.

Good luck! :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Robo2015
    Robo2015 Posts: 267
    Options
    Just do what I did... cook it in the oven. :rofl: 

Seriously, it's probably been close to three years since I last egged a pizza. I know that one was an oven pie.

Good luck! :)
    Oh no! Gulp....egg is warming up, stand bye for pictures (for better or worse).

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Just be sure to use spacers between the bottom of the CI and the pizza stone. Three balls of foil will be fine.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Robo2015
    Options
    Just be sure to use spacers between the bottom of the CI and the pizza stone. Three balls of foil will be fine.
    Man, I'm glad you said something.  I wasn't going to use a pizza stone.  Just CI on grate, indirect.  Pizza stone with spacers is the way to go?

• Robo2015
    Options

• Robo2015
    Options
    Left a little room for the kid who doesn't like toppings!

• Robo2015
    Options
    Ok ran into a little problem, realized by CI was too big to fit into my large egg and still be centered.  Offset the pizza stone, added the foil balls as risers.....here we go

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Platesetter legs up, then grid, then CI skillet on grid should work. I usually went platesetter legs down, about 4" of spacers, then pizza stone. As long as the CI is not sitting directly on a stone that is exposed to the fire.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Robo2015
    Options
    Coming along...,

• Robo2015
    Options
    Wow! Thank you Carolina Q! As the receipe said, totally like Pizza Hut from my childhood.  Finally had a pizza success on the egg after numerous failures.  Family (and most importantly the wife) was totally thrilled.  Picture to follow....

• Robo2015
    Options

• Robo2015
    Options
    Saved that last slice for you Carolina.  Thanks again for the receipe and tips.  Now, off to my Food coma.

• chuckytheegghead
    Options
    Good job, it looks fantastic. 
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Don't you just love a happy ending?! :) So glad your wife liked it - that's the best part! Sure looks good!

Next up, you NEED to do a Chicago Deep Dish! Easier and, I think, tastier.
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1167656/how-to-make-authentic-chicago-deep-dish-pizza-in-two-hours-or-less/p1

Great job on the pan pizza!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• jarc
    jarc Posts: 241
    Options
    Great looking pie.

LBGE

Misplaced Cajun-----Blytheville, AR

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Damn man, nice lookin' pan za.  Need to try this.  It's been bookmarked for a couple of years. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Solid pie!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    Now I want pizza!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Dude, did one last night too. It was MBW's crust recipe, on a stone and the best I have ever tasted.
    Your cook was just nothing short of amazing. Presentation was excellent, thank you for sharing.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Robo2015
    Options
    Thanks everyone.  My wife is still talking about that pizza this morning.  I have to say I should have stopped at two pieces...I think that dough kept rising in my gut!  

And thank you YukonRon! I believe that was the first time I posted pictures.  Great to be part of this forum.  Enjoy today's cooks and posts everyone.

• RRog17
    RRog17 Posts: 562
    Options
    I want to try this. How did you do the crust?
    Canton, GA
    LBGE, Joe Jr., 28” Blackstone
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Only one question, did you make a second one? Yum! That wouldn't last but a few minutes around here. 
  • johnmitchell
    Options
    That is beyond amazing!!!! Magic looking CI Pizza..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Couple of observations... This is Kenji's recipe and he claims that it replicates the old style Pizza Hut Pan Pizzas. I think it does that quite well except I don't recall the crust being this thick back in the day. I may spread it out a bit next time, trying his 10" recipe in an 11" pan. If still too thick, I may even try 12". Thick or not, I LOVE the oiled crust of these pies! 

One other thing I've found... Kenji calls for 3/4 cup of the sauce and that's what I've used before. Tried a full cup last time and I like it much better. He also suggests his NY Style pizza sauce. It's good, but IMO, Lidia's marinara is better! Easier too. http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2007/03/lidias-marinara-sauce.html

If anyone's interested... and you should be :) ... here's the write-up again, with links to a slideshow and to the recipe. 
    http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2013/01/the-pizza-lab-the-worlds-easiest-pizza-no-knead-no-stretch-pan-pizza.html?ref=title

Thanks again for posting yours, @Robo201. It looked absolutely delicious!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Cashfan
    Cashfan Posts: 416
    Options
    Couple of observations... This is Kenji's recipe and he claims that it replicates the old style Pizza Hut Pan Pizzas. I think it does that quite well except I don't recall the crust being this thick back in the day. I may spread it out a bit next time, trying his 10" recipe in an 11" pan. If still too thick, I may even try 12". Thick or not, I LOVE the oiled crust of these pies! 

One other thing I've found... Kenji calls for 3/4 cup of the sauce and that's what I've used before. Tried a full cup last time and I like it much better. He also suggests his NY Style pizza sauce. It's good, but IMO, Lidia's marinara is better! Easier too. http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2007/03/lidias-marinara-sauce.html

If anyone's interested... and you should be :) ... here's the write-up again, with links to a slideshow and to the recipe. 
    http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2013/01/the-pizza-lab-the-worlds-easiest-pizza-no-knead-no-stretch-pan-pizza.html?ref=title

Thanks again for posting yours, @Robo201. It looked absolutely delicious!
    Wow. That looks really good. I'm hungry and just ate a huge breakfast. I know what I'm having for supper tomorrow!

Thanks for posting that!
  • Robo2015
    Options
    Carolina Q nailed it.  That receipe made enough dough for two 10 inch skillets.  I realized after making it that my skillet was bigger than 10 inches, but I didn't know how big it was. I estimated on how big the dough ball should be and probably went a bit too big.   But, it was outstanding.  

Hey, how do I link users names within the post?

• Cashfan
    Cashfan Posts: 416
    Options
    Robo2015 said:
    Carolina Q nailed it.  That receipe made enough dough for two 10 inch skillets.  I realized after making it that my skillet was bigger than 10 inches, but I didn't know how big it was. I estimated on how big the dough ball should be and probably went a bit too big.   But, it was outstanding.  

Hey, how do I link users names within the post?
    @Robo2015, What was your setup? looks like platesetter, with skillet on top of grate?

I have dough resting for tomorrow!
  • Robo2015
    Options
    You got it Cashfan.  Dome temp was around 550 the entire time.  Took about 15 munutes for a well done pie.  As I said, mine was a bit bigger then the recipe called for so adjust your times accordingly.  Good luck!

• FlashkaBob
    Options
    To link a persons handle here use the @ symbol and then the persons name as in @Robo2015

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.