Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Butt cook

Steve76
Steve76 Posts: 60
I'm a newcomer to the world of the BGE.... I've done ribs twice now, both times very successfully, and a turkey breast that was to die for (according to my wife)... So this morning a 4.75 # Boston Butt went on the egg @265 dome temp. Hopefully, we'll see completion in 6 or so hours! I'll snap a photo when it comes off.....  Wish me luck! And thanks for all the info on this form... Would never try this without all the posted info!
Lutz, FL (next to the swamp), LBGE, Pizza stone, Egg Handler, Flame boss 300, Thermapen, Kick Ash basket &  Webber Summit for odds and ends and short, or "honey do", cooks!  

Comments

• here we are at 2.5 hours, internal temp at 118 F  having a little trouble holding the dome temp... Wants to escalate to 285 F or so....
    Lutz, FL (next to the swamp), LBGE, Pizza stone, Egg Handler, Flame boss 300, Thermapen, Kick Ash basket &  Webber Summit for odds and ends and short, or "honey do", cooks!  
  • Robo2015
    Robo2015 Posts: 267
    Good luck! Remember don't chase temps too much.  Are you going to foil? Either way, you have some time left on that cook so sit back and enjoy it.
    A Lonely Single Large Egg

North Shore of Massachusetts
  • Robo2015 said:
    Good luck! Remember don't chase temps too much.  Are you going to foil? Either way, you have some time left on that cook so sit back and enjoy it.

Thanks! No, I don't intend to foil, and if I see a stall, I'll just wait it out. Plenty of time till dinner. Trying to "not chase the temps", but it sure is tempting!!
  • Robo2015
    I've really gotten into not clutching as well.  My family likes that crunchy bark that forms.  It does take a lot longer though.  I usually do about a 7 pounder (boneless-from Costco) and I keep the grate temp right around 225.  Does take forever to cook at that temp.  Don't forget to post the after pictures!  

• Steve76
    Steve76 Posts: 60
    edited February 2016
    Do you find that there is a significant difference between the grate temp and the dome temp? And, how do you measure the grate temp? (Guess I could use the second probe on my temp monitor, somehow attached to the grate??)  Pictures to come!!
  • Robo2015
    Definitely a difference early on, then it even outs as the cook goes on.  The dome temp is usually hotter by as much as 40 or so degrees I believe. Early on when I was always chasing temps and messing with things too much I've even seen my dome temp drop lower then the grate.  If I'm doing a long cook, I'll measure the grate temp with one of the probes from my maverick wireless thermometer.  I believe it is a 733, but may be mistaken on the model number.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,322
    @Steve76 - welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Great looking cook right there.  If you do get pressed for time you can dial up the BGE to the 325-350*F (on the dome) temp range to punch it home.
    Best finish-line indicator is when the bone pulls clean somewhere in the low 200's.  FWIW-
    And regarding dome and grate and any place else you wish to measure temperature-just realize there are thermal gradients within the BGE (like your oven) and you can end up with too much info.  Pick one (calibrated) indication and learn how your BGE responds and go from there.  The preceding is an opinion and we all know what those are worth.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Robo2015
    Sorry meant 'crutch' not 'clutch'.  Damn you little iPhone jeys

• Robo2015
    keys!

• Thanks all!
    Dome temp has stabilized at 260, I'm done "chasing" and looking forward to dinner! Don't think I'll worry about the grate temp for a while.. Sounds like too much info for a newcomer!
  • Stable temp, good smoke, chilling with a brew!
  • Welcome.. you have an awesome looking cooking spot.. Enjoy, you are in for some great eats..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Welcome.. you have an awesome looking cooking spot.. Enjoy, you are in for some great eats..

Thank you!
  • Welcome!! Enjoy!!  You're already having fun!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Stalled at 175... Waited an hour, decided to bump up the heat to 300 or so, opened the daisy wheel and the bottom vent.... Nothing. Looks like I ran short on the lump, temps started coming down. (lesson learned on lump quantity!) So... Moved the butt into the kitchen stove set at 325 degrees, now  nearing 195 IT and the kitchen smells great!!!
  • Lutz, FL (next to the swamp), LBGE, Pizza stone, Egg Handler, Flame boss 300, Thermapen, Kick Ash basket &  Webber Summit for odds and ends and short, or "honey do", cooks!  
  • Came out of the oven just fine... Pulled OK too... A little dry, and I suspect it was slightly overcooked. IT was 201 degrees F.  Lots of learning with this butt, and I plan on trying another perhaps next weekend... Once again, thanks to all for the comments and all the expertise I found on the forum!
  • Great save.. That is such an important lesson learnt.. When in doubt add more lump, unused lump is always good for the next cook. By the way that meteor looks awesome.. enjoy
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Agree - good save, @Steve76.

I always load my Egg full up with lump for butts or any other long cook. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Agree - good save, @Steve76.

I always load my Egg full up with lump for butts or any other long cook. 

....And I will too from now on!!! B)
  • Put the lump to the top of the fire ring... As long as the platesetter will fit you will be able to cook your butts without running out. 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"