Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Question: is baking bread in an Egg about the smoke, or just a great hot oven??

AbterAbter Posts: 125
edited February 2016 in Baking
While I baked a lot of bread in dutch ovens over campfires over the years, that was usually to introduce scout troops to the wonders of freshly cooked bread (which of course like everything else is even better when camping).  After a few days of camp food the scouts (and leaders!!) licked the crumbs from my beloved Lodge ovens.

I assume you bread bakers are not toting your Egg into the wilderness though to make bread.  So does baking bread in the Egg benefit from the smoke (plain charcoal smoke or with other woods) if done in an open loaf pan, or it more about "wow...I can cook ANYTHING on my Egg ??  B)
Stay Calm and Egg On
1 lonely medium in Rockville, MD

Comments

• WOW I can cook anything in the egg
  • The Cen-Tex SmokerThe Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 17,796
    edited February 2016
    we bake it in a DO. No smoke, just hot
    1- LGBE
    1- KBQ C-60 (The Dishwasher)
    I- Blackstone 36" Griddle
    1- Sweet-A$$ Roccbox Pizza Oven
    1-Very Understanding and Forgiving Wife
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 15,986
    I do a lot of things that could be done in the oven outside on the egg... 

Cigars 
    Unknown alcohol consumption 
    My music
    Quiet 
    Groin scratching 

Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • blastingblasting Posts: 5,642
    Hope this doesn't get me kicked off the forum, but I bake bread on in a DO on the weber gasser.  No need for smoke, and with some fire bricks I can regulate temp rock solid.  

Matter of fact I have a loaf on as I type.
    Phoenix 
  • NPHuskerFLNPHuskerFL Posts: 16,995
    DO with top off to finish. IMHO smoky profile isn't desirable on most bread. Do it in the egg or oven. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • pgprescottpgprescott Posts: 10,615
    Lots of bakers here. I'm not one of them, but I enjoy lurking. Maybe when I have more time I'll take it up. Good luck. 
  • dougcranndougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Yet to cook bread in one of our Eggs. Have cooked several cakes. Key is a clean plate setter. All but 1 cake were cooked in the Large. Over a plate setter that has not had anything but cakes on top of it. Last cake was cooked in the XL. Plate setter has seen lots of fat/grease cooks. Prior to cooking the cake we heated it 600* on 3 seperate occasions. During the last one we thought we had "cooked" off the grease.....during the cake bake it started billowing smoke....every had a cake that tasted a bit like brisket?