Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

East Carolina Pork Shoulder

I have done Pork many times, but typically with a traditional BBQ sauce.  I have a really good eastern NC vinager sauce I want to use tomorrow.

Does anyone have experience with this?  I assume I will just pull and chop and then add the sauce after the cook?

And any difference in rub or injection?  I typically keep it apple juice/brown sugar based.

Thanks in advance for the help!  I'm throwing the butts on around 8:00pm tonight.  

Brad

Comments

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    I make up a fresh batch of the E NC vinegar-based sauce almost every time I do pulled pork.  I really like it fresh.
    when the pork is all shredded and you are serving it, just splash on the sauce in whatever amount you like.
    You're gonna love it.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Mckeanksu said:
    I have done Pork many times, but typically with a traditional BBQ sauce.  I have a really good eastern NC vinager sauce I want to use tomorrow.

Does anyone have experience with this?  I assume I will just pull and chop and then add the sauce after the cook?

And any difference in rub or injection?  I typically keep it apple juice/brown sugar based.

Thanks in advance for the help!  I'm throwing the butts on around 8:00pm tonight.  

Brad
    "...a traditional BBQ sauce"? Eastern NC sauce IS the traditional BBQ sauce! =)

I've never injected anything, especially a butt. No basting either. Don't know what you're using for rub so I don't know what "different" means. Traditional is sometimes just salt, maybe with some pepper. I do that sometimes, but I usually rub with a tablespoon each of salt, sugar, brown sugar, cumin, chili powder, black pepper, paprika and a tsp of cayenne.

Yes, pull and/or chop, sprinkle some vinegar sauce on and serve. Offer extra sauce with the meal.

Good luck.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Pridnjoy
    Pridnjoy Posts: 130

I've never injected anything, especially a butt. 
    Me either! 
  • Thanks everyone.  I don't inject much either.  No time tonight
  • Smokinpig
    Smokinpig Posts: 739
    edited February 2016
    Traditional eastern rub would be kosher salt. Also most eastern places lightly sauce and then leave it on the table. 

LBGE Atlanta, GA