Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt Cook Time

Options
Meinbmw
Meinbmw Posts: 157
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just did a 9.5 pound butt in 15 hours. Forum wisdom had indicated it should have taken 19 hours or more.[p]Why did it get done so quickly .... was cooked overnight while I was asleep, so I did not get the opportunity to see what the plateau was.[p]Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    meinbmw,[p]It's done when it's done. Not before, not after.[p]It wasn't one of those enhanced (with up to 20% Basted® Solution to improve flavor [and add shelf life]) butts from Wal-Mart or similar, was it? They cook fasted since they are almost 1/4 salt water.
  • Meinbmw
    Meinbmw Posts: 157
    Options
    Mini Egg,
    No ... a beauty from my local butcher shop. [p]Not complaining about the short cook time, but when you are planning on a certain cook time when having friends/family over for piggy, it makes it a bit difficult not having a better idea of what time you can expect the butt to be done.[p]

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    meinbmw,
    Turbo Cooks have been a frequent topic from time to time. I had my first a couple of years ago when a 10 pounder cooked in just under 12 hours. There doesn't seem to be any reason. The best answer I can remember was "maybe the pig was lazy and never did any exercise so the shoulder wasn't as tough as his fellow piggys." Thye apprently pass through the plateau very quickly as opposed to the last one I did that sat on 172º for about 6 or 6.5 hours. A 9.5 pound shoulder took 24 hours to get to 200º internal. Go figure.