Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Low salt Egging ??

Abter
Abter Posts: 125
This isn't exactly a weight loss issue (although it is related), but many folks have to limit their salt consumption for a lot of health related reasons.  My wife needs to be on a low salt diet, and she firmly believes I should be too :o

Salt is a mainstay of a lot (most??) smoking recipes, which does not make a low salt diet so easy.  Most rubs, both store bought and homemade, have salt as a primary ingredient.  I understand why !!!  It makes smoked meat goooood!

But we can't always get what we want in life :s

Does anyone have any links to recipes with a low-salt approach, or any other information on low-salt smoking??
Stay Calm and Egg On
1 lonely medium in Rockville, MD

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    dizzy pig offers several low sodium rubs. @Nature Boy is the boss man there.

Good luck with the health kick. It is pretty important and much easier for her if you comply as well. Good man. 
  • Eggaroo
    Eggaroo Posts: 417
    You might check out the rub recipes on amazingribs.com. 
    Greenwood, IN | XL BGE | Weber Genesis | Blackstone 28 | bunch of accessories  =)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    citrus and vinegars help pick up the flavors. seems theres more and more about salt restrictive diets being worse than even high salt diets, your wife is under doctors orders so maybe ask your doctor first
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    If you are a costco member they have an all organic salt free rub that is really good on chicken and pork. http://www.costco.com/Kirkland-Signature™-Organic-No-Salt-Seasoning-4-pack.product.100043610.html
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    All the rubs I use are salt free.  I add salt separately.  Take any rub recipe and mix it up without salt.  This allows you to add as much rub as you want without fear of over salting.  Apply salt in the amount that is consistent with your dietary goals.

Commercial rubs contain lots of salt because salt is cheap compared to the other ingredients.  Smoked food doesn't have to be high in salt - I do not think it is the reason smoked food is gooood. Yes, a lot of us like salt, but high salt content is not necessary for good smoked food.  It will be hard to find commercial rubs that are salt free, but it really is easy to mix them up at home.

Compared to processed foods from the market and food from restaurants, the food you cook on the egg should be better for your salt intake.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited February 2016

If you drop the amount of salt in flavorings, stuff will seem a little bland for a couple of weeks but your taste buds will "reset" and get used to the lower sodium content.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    Penzeys Spices has a salt-free rub-Arizona Dreaming that is quite good.  FYI-
    As above, lots of ways to achieve low-salt Qing. Best of luck.
    BTW-welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    As the late Abe Limons said: I want to be sick when I die. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Here are some low salt and salt free seasonings. The Pork Rub is completely salt-free. I usually brine my meat before smoking, so after that, I don't want to add much salt to the meat. I even brined salmon the other day. It tasted so much better as the salt goes in deeper, instead of just being on the surface. Also, I've read that Himalayan Sea Salt has less sodium and contains more minerals that are good for you.