Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

So I'm a baker now?

Options
blasting
blasting Posts: 6,262
So here it is.  My first real loaf that wasn't made in a bread machine.  Looks kinda ok, really waiting for the taste test...

Cheapest thing I've ever gotten into.  $5 for dough bucket.  $10 for a dough whisk.  Had the cast iron pot.  Let's hope it tastes ok.

Thanks @Thatgrimguy

Phoenix 

Comments

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Yes sir!! Looking great! I love that book.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Thatgrimguy
    edited January 2016
    Options
    It's amazing how simple it is. I love that book.  Congratulations!! Do you need my homemade butter method?  The too make a great combination. 

Don't forget to let the dough develop some. A few days in the fridge can really bring out flavor.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Do you need my homemade butter method?  
    Yes. I want to deep fry some of it =)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @blasting
    Looks great buddy!!

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• blasting
    edited January 2016
    Options
    It's amazing how simple it is. I love that book.  Congratulations!! Do you need my homemade butter method?  The too make a great combination. 

Don't forget to let the dough develop some. A few days in the fridge can really bring out flavor.

Thanks.  Sure if you don't mind sharing.  Homemade butter sounds great.  

You're right, it really is amazingly simple.  So simple I really need to make it seem a lot harder to those I'll share bread with.

Phoenix 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Looks great, you are well on your way to being a master baker.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Rocked it!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Thatgrimguy
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Man I don't do anything special with the butter other than try and find local grass fed cream. When I find that, my butter is AMAZING. Otherwise it's only really really good.

Here's a write up I did on another forum

"Do you have a kitchen aid mixer? Make butter itself. Just whip heavy whipping cream on high till the butter separates out (make sure you cover the top with paper towels and that those paper towels don't get caught in the beater). The better the cream, the better the butter. But any cream will be better than typical shelf butter.

The cream will turn to whipped cream first then start breaking down to a cottage cheese constancy. After about 15 minutes? of beating it will separate violently and the solid and liquid will separate. You need to be paying attention or it can quickly become a mess. Turn it off when this happens. You should have a big clump of what looks just like butter stuck to the beater and a bit floating around in the milk. Time to strain the milk and keep the butter (cheese cloth makes this next process easier) I keep the liquid and use it in anything that calls for buttermilk. 

Now, using ice water rinse the butter till its free of any remaining milk. I fill a glass of ice water and pour it over the beater in a bowl and then dump it out keeping the butter over and over till it runs clear. Ice water keeps the butter from melting away and getting messy. Next you need to get as much water out as possible. I wrap paper towel and kind of ring it. Then I put it back in my beater and spin out more water. 

Finally it's time to put your butter back in the mixer and beat till creamy and add salt to taste. i put a teaspoon per pint of cream.

Here is a good video, she does the exact method I use to make the butter. A couple notes: Try and find local grass fed heavy cream. The better the heavy cream the better the butter.

• oldgeezeystax
    Options
    That loaf looks awesome! Care to post the recipe? 
    Frederick, MD - LBGE and some accessories
  • blasting
    Options

Thanks for the butter recipe @Thatgrimguy , and again for getting me started.  
    Taste test was great btw.  I'm literally shocks me that I could bake a loaf like that. I thought there would be much more to it.

I appreciate everyone's feedback.  Thank you.

Phoenix 
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @blasting "Cheapest thing I've ever gotten into" Bwaahahahahah, I love your innocence. 
    There are bannetons, bench scrapers, lames... then you move on to eggs just for baking and wood fired brick ovens.
    you know this place will suck you dry...
    Great looking bread friend.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • blasting
    Options
    That loaf looks awesome! Care to post the recipe? 

@oldgeezeystax   It's just water, yeast, flour, and salt.  It's more so the method that I think is different than traditional.  You mix a batch of dough up that is enough for 4 loaves (or double it).  You barely mix it, really just incorporating the ingredients.  Then you stick it in the fridge overnight.  Remove a portion - form into a dough ball and stick in a hot cast iron dutch oven.  No proofing, no kneading, NOTHING!    I haven't read the book yet.  This is just the first basic recipe presented.
    Phoenix 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Brother, that's one fine looking loaf!!  I'd hit that to crumbs.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    I have made that bread also. Think the recipe is also in either one of my Dutch oven cookbooks or a boy scouts cookbook. I was amazed at how good it was with only 4 ingredients. 
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    The brioche recipe done in "pull apart rolls" is my favorite thing in the book so far.
  • blasting
    Options
    The brioche recipe done in "pull apart rolls" is my favorite thing in the book so far.

I'll check it out, thanks.  Sourdough is my favorite, so I'll be working my into that fairly soon as well.
    Phoenix 
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    blasting said:

I'll check it out, thanks.  Sourdough is my favorite, so I'll be working my into that fairly soon as well.
    PM me you address. I'll shoot you some proper starter. I've had mine going for nearly 2 years now.
  • dogfoot
    dogfoot Posts: 62
    Options
    The same ingredients, my second try, I didn't refrigerate the dough, I'll retry

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I thought you meant like last name "Baker".  

https://youtu.be/xX2uWjj6a1c

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options

I have made butter but only by mistake, well it really wasn't butter just over whipped cream that was neglected.

One of my prep cooks is dating a dairy farmer so I just asked her to get me some fresh cream from him.

• blasting
    Options
    @dogfoot  those are some good looking loaves
    Phoenix 
  • epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,174
    Options
    That looks great. I recently gave up bread. Dang diabetes.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Nice lookin bread.  I have 2 kg dough fermenting as we speak.  
    Options
    That looks great. I recently gave up bread. Dang diabetes.

Thanks - giving up bread would be rough.
    Nice lookin bread.  I have 2 kg dough fermenting as we speak.  

@nolaegghead those are some professional looking loaves
    Phoenix 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Thanks....that's a culmination of lots of practice.  I've made hundreds of loaves...it's therapy for me (and I need it obviously).  I give away 90% of the loaves I bake.  It is a cheap obsession, fortunately.
    Options
    @nolaegghead What % hydration are those loaves? They look great by the way. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    @SciAggie - I pretty consistently stick with 70% (of the flour weight).  I'll add more water if I have dry additives....lately I've been adding whole mustard seed, dried garlic flakes, dried chipotle flakes....I mix it up.  Also I'll go 20-30% rye or wheat flour in addition to the bread flower.  I've used Tipo 00 also (out of it right now).
    Options
    @SciAggie - I pretty consistently stick with 70% (of the flour weight).  I'll add more water if I have dry additives....lately I've been adding whole mustard seed, dried garlic flakes, dried chipotle flakes....I mix it up.  Also I'll go 20-30% rye or wheat flour in addition to the bread flower.  I've used Tipo 00 also (out of it right now).
    Thanks. That's about where I have settled. I've been mixing about 74% using King Arthur bread flour. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Nicely done. ITs amazing that its so simple and easy to do. I was making a lot of it pre-diabetes, now just every once in awhile. I miss making home made bread.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,734
    Options
    Very nice!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va