Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baked bean advice

Options
TheToast
TheToast Posts: 376
Hi. I'm planning on doing my first overnight cook tomorrow - a pork butt (or as they say in the UK, pork neck end). I'd like to cook some beans alongside it and will probably follow this recipe:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/06/best-barbecue-beans-recipe.html

Have you left beans to cook overnight? I have an old Le Creuset cast iron casserole dish which I plan to use. I want the smoke to get to the beans but also don't want them to dry out so should I leave the lid on, ajar? Or just compensate by adding more stock than the recipe suggests? I'm not sure what configuration will keep them from totally drying up over 8 or so hours. Advice appreciated! Alternatively, because it's a 5.7kg / 12.5 lb joint of pork, it's likely to cook into the morning, so I could always put the beans in when I get up. 

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I have done it while cooking a brisket.  I used it as a drop pan and collected the juices in the beans as it cooked.  If you are going low like 250 or lower you should be ok if there is plenty of liquid in with the beans.  Sounds good to me.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • TheToast
    Options
    @Ladeback69 Thanks for the advice. I was also toying with the drip pan idea. Do you remember the volume of beans and water you used?
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I cook my beans in a drip pan under my Butts too, I leave it there for the first 3 hours or so then refrigerate them. I put them back on when the Butts have an hour left. I think the beans would dry out if left for the whole cook, and they really don't need to be on that long.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Leave the lid on

Options
    lid on for the majority of the cook, lid of at the end for an hour or two has always worked for me, i make a pot pretty much weekly but usually overnight in the oven
    this is pretty good too =)
    http://www.modemac.com/cgi-bin/wiki.pl/Boston_Baked_Pork_and_Beans

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • MrWilliams
    Options
    fishlessman - this is now number one on my to do list.  I'm a huge baked beans fan.  I'll have to score a dutch over first.  Thanks for the link.
    XL BGE & Mini - CT USA
  • TheToast
    Options
    So I did these overnight, with a lid ajar and liquid nearly to the top, then another 2hrs with no lid. Turned out great! Little too sweet - I'll cut down on the honey next time.  They look a bit dry in the photo but that's just the thin crust - they're really saucy when stirred
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
     Looks great! I used another vid from the above mentioned "castironchaos" Youtuber for doing a brisket flat with boston baked beans. It came out quite good. Before winter is over I will do a pork shoulder with baked beans in a cast iron dutch oven. Good old PORK and beans!

Jim
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Looks great to me.  I like that little crust on the top.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    You all are killing me. Can't eat beans on my crappy diet. The drool is overwhelming here!!!
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Get some wet wipes so you don't tear your ass up.
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,571
    Options
    @TheToast... That pot of baked beans is a thing of beauty.. I am also watching my carbs but I would tear into that.. Congrats..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....