Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dad's Old Fashion Sourdough Bread

Dr. Chicken
Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Sorry folks, I couldn't figure out how to use the form, so here it is;[p]Sourdough starter: allow to "age" 7 to 10 days before making bread
1/2 cup warm water (110 degrees)
2 1/4 tsp. active dry yeast
dissolve yeast in water
stir in additional 2 cups luke warm water
2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 tsp. salt (non-iodized)
1 Tbsp. sugar
Beat all until smooth. Let stand uncovered for 7 to 10 days at room temperature. Cover loosely at night. Stir 2 or 3 times daily,
Mixture should have a yeasty odor, not sour smell.[p]Bread:
2 1/4 tsp. active dry yeast
1 1/2 cups warm water
1 cup sourdough starter
2 tsp. salt (again non-iodized if available)
5 1/4 to 5 1/2 cups of sifted all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda[p]Directions:
In a large bowl, soften yeast in warm water, blend in starter batter, salt & sugar
add 3 1/2 cups flour...mix well, beat 3 to 5 minutes
cover, let rise till double (appox. 1 1/2 hrs.)
mix baking soda with 1 1/2 cups of flour, stir into dough, add enough additional flour to make stiff dough.
Turn out on lightly floured surface, knead 8 to 10 mins. (use dough hooks for this)
Divide into 2 equal parts, cover and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
Shape into two oval loaves. Place on greased baking sheet and score top with a sharp knife in diagonal gashes across the top from two directions.
Let rise covered till double (1 1/2 hrs)
Bake at 375 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes.
Brush with melted butter immediately after removing from oven. Or brush top with mixture of beaten egg whites & 1 Tbsp. water.[p]To keep starter batter add 1/2 cup water & 1/2 cup sifted all-purpose flour, 1 tsp. sugar to left over batter. allow to stand until well fermented (at least 1 day). Cover and refrigerate, stirring at least once daily. If not used within 10 days, add 1 tsp. sugar.
Always allow starter batter to acclimate to room temperature before using.[p](recipe is adapted from 1952 Betty Crocker cookbook)(I think!)

Comments

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Dr. Chicken,[p]I appreciate you taking the time to post this from my request earlier. I am crazy about sourdough breads and this one looks to be a keeper for sure. I have a feeling that this will adapt to the egg very well and give it a brick oven flavor. I look forward to trying it soon.
    Thanks again!

• Bob,
    You're quite welcome! I'd appreciate knowing the results! Also, what you think of the end results!

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Bob, me too...:-) Thanks DR. C!!

• Char-Woody
    Dr. Chicken, Well, as you know via e.mail, I am doing my thing here..!! [p]For the forum![p]Got started with my yeasty mix, and from my past experiences, tap water is not for yeast, at least not in my area. Too much clorine and iron treatment. Water tastes fine tho. But yeast hates it!!
    So my Mr. McGoo eyes spotted the fresh blanket of snow..and I went out to the picnic table and scooped up a small pan full..Got 3 cups of water melted from it.[p]Boiled it and cooled it to just tempid temps..(warm to my finger touch) and put it in a dish..added the yeast and stirred it with a toothpick dipped in honey. Boy did those little critters come to life..Whew..20 minutes later I had a nice foamy batch of yeasties.[p]Did the rest as per your old Betty Crocker recipe, and after about two hours the batch was really bubbly. Got out my scope and those critters were having a hey day down there. BBQing I think!! :-)[p]So it should be a super prebatch of sourdough for the bread recipes. [p]Next thing I did was to go out with a 10 quart Stainless Steel stock pot and boil me up another 2 quarts of water. This one I strained thru paper towels into a 2 gallon jar and sealed with a lid. That is my next years yeast water. From fresh driven snow without yellow spots in it..heeeee
    Cheers..C~W
    [p]One thing I did question was, why cover at night? I think I will cover mine with a towel all day and all night. Don't they ever sleep??

• Char-Woody, like the song says,, ",,, and a country boy can survive",,

• Char-Woody
    King-O-Coals, ya got it right..pure country!! :-)

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Dr. Chicken,
    I made up your recipe for sourdough starter last night. I mixed the ingredients thoroughly. This morning when I checked it, the little yeasty guys were doing their thing, but the mixture had separated; water on the bottom, gluck on top. I just stirred it up and left for work. My question: is the separating to be expected, or did I screw things up? I love sourdough, and I've been asked to bring an assortment of breads to a potluck on Feb. 5.
    Cheers,
    Gretl

• gretl,
    Its to be expected! The longer it sits (ages) the less seperation you'll see. I've got 2 super good recipes for Italian Style French bread & French bread I just sent to C~W. I'll e-mail them to you if your e-mail address is on the profile. I love these two! I just finished 2 big slices of each trying to determine which I like best! When you try them, I'd appreciate your comments![p]Dr. C

• gretl,
    is your e-mail address correct on the profile? I just got a returned:undeliverable message on the e-mail I sent you.[p]Dr. C

• Gretl
    Dr. Chicken,
    Yes, yes! I love baking bread. Please send the recipes. I'm glad the sourdough mix comes together after sitting around. I was hoping that would result.
    Cheers,
    Gretl

• Gretl
    Dr. Chicken,
    Whoops! Just got your note on my email, so it must have gotten through. Thanks for sending it, and I'll be sure to let you know how it goes.
    Thanks again,
    Gretl