Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Deflated and Tired of the Hot Air, I Wheeled On Over to Walmart

Options
News2u
News2u Posts: 335

Ever try finding a decent deal from a tire shop to mount a new set of tires you didn't buy there? Got into a quandary of sorts after developing a slow leak in my left front. No one would plug the hole cuz turns out I had another tiny one leaking air about an inch away. Bummer since I had 15K to 20K miles of tread still left. I got bummed out even more shopping around for a good price to install the new set I got thru Amazon Prime -- some 60K tread Goodyears for my Ridgeline at $102 a tire. One outfit wanted $125.

Walmart to the Rescue: Arrived 8 am today. Done in 45 min. Including new valve stems and tax: $58.52 to mount all 4. That's less than $15 a wheel. And they rotate free for the life of the tires, even though I didn't buy them there. Total: $505. Three years ago: $871 at Costco, back when, it would appear, I was running for Dumb F??K of the Year. I may have sacrificed a slightly smoother drive with this new set (the old ones were Michelins), but since I never seem to get the most of any tread, I'm feeling pretty pumped up.

I agree. That part right at the end was pretty bad.

Beef...It's what's for dinner tonight.

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,399
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Give tirerack.com a look next time.  Great prices and drop ship to "connected" installers where you know going in what the cost for instalation will be.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • News2u
    Options
    Noted. Thx.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I get Michelin Pilot Sports for one vehicle and Primacy MXV4's at Costco. Mounting is 15 bucks per tire(included in price, not an add-on) and lifetime road hazard warranty. I've never found a better deal than Costco nor quality of work. I've found them cheaper at other places, but the add-ons that come standard at Costco always drive the price higher. I suppose it depends on what type and brand of tire you are looking for. I always wait for the sale as well, because that makes install "free".
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Lucky you don't have E  or Z rated tires :money: Buying quality sometimes stings but, I carry precious cargo :heart: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I don't know. The thought of buying tires online and asking my local shop to install them is something I would find difficult for me.
    I would feel lower than a snakes belly to ask him to install something I bought somewhere else. Now if the local guy advertises that he's happy to install tires no matter where you bought them that would make it an acceptable practice for me.
    This is just my personal viewpoint. I have no issues with what other people do.
    I always say for people do do whatever they feel comfortable doing.

This opinion primarily applies to local tire stores. I don't have any issue with getting Walmart to install tires no matter where you buy them. 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I buy at Costco. If your tires don't make it to the mile rating they give you money back. I hit a pot hole with like 15000 miles on fairly expensive michelins and went back to Costco and they put a new one on for like $40. I have shopped around before on tires and nobody was close to Costco especially when they have the $70 off michelins.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    GregW said:
    I don't know. The thought of buying tires online and asking my local shop to install them is something I would find difficult for me.
    I would feel lower than a snakes belly to ask him to install something I bought somewhere else. Now if the local guy advertises that he's happy to install tires no matter where you bought them that would make it an acceptable practice for me.

This opinion primarily applies to local tire stores. I don't have any issue with getting Walmart to install tires no matter where you buy them. 
    Does your local shop carry the tires you want installed?  If not, while feel bad about bringing a tire he doesn't carry for him to install.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    I buy from my local family owned tire store. But they also give me a hell of a deal because I use them solely at the shop. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    Zmokin said:
    GregW said:

Does your local shop carry the tires you want installed?  If not, while feel bad about bringing a tire he doesn't carry for him to install.
    Good point. The local shops around here get their tires from big local tire warehouses.
    They generally can get just about any brand or size in for same day installation.

• njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    Other advantage with Costco is the "free" road hazard coverage.  Tire repairs are free, and if they can't repair it, depending on the amount of wear, the replacement tire is free or prorated.  8 years ago, we moved into a neighborhood that was still under construction.  I've got an unbelievable collection of nails, screws, staples, etc. picked up from the street...and for a while I was going through tires at an alarming rate.  Fortunately, construction is done, and the frequency of punctures has dropped quite a bit.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    I buy from my local family owned tire store. But they also give me a hell of a deal because I use them solely at the shop. 

Ditto for our family. Been using the same place nearly 2 decades. Not family owned (chain) but, the staff has been there a long time which is unusual for a chain store. Always treat us like family, fairly priced, quality work and honest service. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    Buy online and mount at home! 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Hmmmm  ;)
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • rifrench
    rifrench Posts: 469
    Options
    Another plus for Costco, they rotate and balance free for 80,000 miles or 5 years.
     1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,119
    Options
    I use a hammer and carb cleaner.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    njl said:
    Other advantage with Costco is the "free" road hazard coverage.  Tire repairs are free, and if they can't repair it, depending on the amount of wear, the replacement tire is free or prorated.  8 years ago, we moved into a neighborhood that was still under construction.  I've got an unbelievable collection of nails, screws, staples, etc. picked up from the street...and for a while I was going through tires at an alarming rate.  Fortunately, construction is done, and the frequency of punctures has dropped quite a bit.
    Does costco order any brand/style you want?  The tires I go through the fastest are Toyo Proxes R1R.  No one local to me carries them, usually they take a few days to be delivered to my local Les Schwab.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• rifrench
    rifrench Posts: 469
    Options
    They only advertise Michelin and Bridgestone, with one or the other at $70 off when you buy a set of four. Love those Michelin tires, I'd put 'em on my Wheel Horse tractors if had the size!
     1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    I bought a tire from a tire shop and the dealership where I bought the car mounted it for nothing.  On the other hand, I did have to buy a wheel from the dealership since some scumbag stole mine.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1185557/way-ot-at-least-your-day-started-better-than-mine-ot/p1

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• News2u
    Options
    Dollar for dollar, I got the best deal that way. The tires were at my house in 2 days. Made a call to Walmart and that was it. Checked my receipt closer and the in an out time was actually only 33 minutes, not 45.

I ain't no math-uh-muh--whatcha call-- math-muh, math-muh-ply, math-uh-muh-pli-ca-shun expert or nothin', but that's what I call service.