Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Beef Empanadas (pics)

Options
fence0407
fence0407 Posts: 2,237
edited January 2016 in EggHead Forum
I finally found some frozen Goya turnover discs to make empanadas. I followed this recipe, minus the olives and oregano. Probably took around an hour total for cook time. I'm sure it would have gone faster if I had a bigger fryer, or baked them instead. In the future I will try cooking chicken on the egg and use that for the filling.

First you fill the middle portion of the disc with a good tablespoon full of the cooked meat:

Next, fold the disc in half and press the edges down. Use a fork around the edges to seal the meat inside the disc:

Fry at 350 until they turn a nice brown color, flipping once (4-6 min total):

Let them cool a little and dry on paper towels:

Plated shot with some Cholula Hot Sauce - pretty tasty!

Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
Cumming, GA  

Comments

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Those look superb!  

Maybe for next time, you could remove your basket and just drop them into the oil and then fish them out.  Just a thought.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • fence0407
    Options
    Those look superb!  

Maybe for next time, you could remove your basket and just drop them into the oil and then fish them out.  Just a thought.  
    Thanks Matt! 

That's a good idea. It's not a very big fryer at all and I just didn't want to crowd it. Bet you without the basket I could get at least 2 in there though...
    Cumming, GA  

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @fence0407 Where was the empanada dough stocked? In the freezer section with pie dough, near the biscuits, where the egg roll wrappers are located? I always look for dough flats like that and never find them.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • fence0407
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    @fence0407 Where was the empanada dough stocked? In the freezer section with pie dough, near the biscuits, where the egg roll wrappers are located? I always look for dough flats like that and never find them.
    I actually found them at Buford Farmers Market. They're an international grocery store that carry all sorts of things from different countries. Their "Hispanic" frozen food section was where I found them. I've had no luck at chain grocery stores, but maybe someone else on here has. 
    Cumming, GA  

• fence0407
    Options
    fence0407 said:
    SciAggie said:
    I actually found them at Buford Farmers Market. They're an international grocery store that carry all sorts of things from different countries. Their "Hispanic" frozen food section was where I found them. I've had no luck at chain grocery stores, but maybe someone else on here has. 
    @SciAggie - I just saw them at Super HMart. They're with the frozen pizzas on an end cap. 
    Cumming, GA  

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @fence0407 Thanks friend. I have no problem making dough but with just the wife and myself a batch of dough is too much. It would be great to have frozen dough and just pull enough for a couple of empanadas.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • fence0407
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    @fence0407 Thanks friend. I have no problem making dough but with just the wife and myself a batch of dough is too much. It would be great to have frozen dough and just pull enough for a couple of empanadas.
    Understood! Hope you can find them. Sure makes it easy to throw them together.
    Cumming, GA  

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @fence0407
    Thats some mighty fine looking grub my friend. Solid cook. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Looking good brother!  Gotta love Buford Farmers Mkt!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • fence0407
    Options
    SGH said:
    @fence0407
    Thats some mighty fine looking grub my friend. Solid cook. 
    Thanks Scottie! Love the versatility on what you can stuff them with.
    Cumming, GA  

• fence0407
    Options

bgebrent said:
    Looking good brother!  Gotta love Buford Farmers Mkt!
    Thanks! A friend invited me to Buford Farmers Market a week or so ago. I've been back 3 times on my own =)
    Cumming, GA  

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Those look awesome.  I'll have to keep an eye out for them next time I'm at HMart.  I'll have to fry them outside as the wife no longer allows me to deep fry indoors since the house smells like McDonald's for a week after.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Thanks for sharing that.   I'll have to buy some of those turnovers.  I do like my some empenadas!

LBGE/Maryland
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Very nice those look great. They sell them at the publix at exit 14 in the freezer section. You can actually just grill them on the egg raised direct and they come out really good but you have to cook raised or they don't cook all the way through before they start to burn. I did some pepper stout beef stuffed ones for new years Puerto Rican day cooking but Puerto Ricans call them Pastelillos.
  • fence0407
    Options
    Lit said:
    Very nice those look great. They sell them at the publix at exit 14 in the freezer section. You can actually just grill them on the egg raised direct and they come out really good but you have to cook raised or they don't cook all the way through before they start to burn. I did some pepper stout beef stuffed ones for new years Puerto Rican day cooking but Puerto Ricans call them Pastelillos.
    That's great to know! Thanks for the info - I'll probably start getting them at Publix instead. Much closer!
    Cumming, GA  

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Those look great.  I have also used the pastry and some large pot sticker molds to make like a turkey/chicken pot pie with peas,meat, carrots,dressing, little gravy.  Also pot stickers work well in a wok with a bamboo steamer.

https://www.google.com/?gfe_rd=ssl&ei=PY6eVuv9O4LF-AWEwJ2IBQ#q=pot+sticker+mold 
  • fence0407
    Options
    Those look awesome.  I'll have to keep an eye out for them next time I'm at HMart.  I'll have to fry them outside as the wife no longer allows me to deep fry indoors since the house smells like McDonald's for a week after.
    Funny you say that - our kitchen had a similar smell last night! Looks like @Lit said you might be able to find them at Publix as well. PS - congrats on the big day today!
    Cumming, GA  

• fence0407
    Options

KiterTodd said:
    Thanks for sharing that.   I'll have to buy some of those turnovers.  I do like my some empenadas!

Agreed! Thanks!
    Cumming, GA  

• fence0407
    Options

Those look great.  I have also used the pastry and some large pot sticker molds to make like a turkey/chicken pot pie with peas,meat, carrots,dressing, little gravy.  Also pot stickers work well in a wok with a bamboo steamer.

https://www.google.com/?gfe_rd=ssl&ei=PY6eVuv9O4LF-AWEwJ2IBQ#q=pot+sticker+mold 
    Interesting - thanks for sharing that!
    Cumming, GA